Dio exploited?

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
I have been a Dio fan for a long time now as I’m sure a lot of you have been. I have all his albums from every band, of course DVDs, I meet the man twice, and even have Dio inked in my arm, I’m a fan. And being a fan is why this strikes me so wrong and distasteful/
Since Dio’s death Dio merchandise is starting to flow out to fans as if it is coming from Gene Simmon’s ass. The Official Dio Fan Facebook is constantly advertising of the latest Dio crap that Wendy can stamp his name on for the fans to have something to remember the icon by. I guess his albums are not enough we also need a baseball with a rubber stamped signature on it. Amazingly Wendy happens to find a lot of this stuff. I think she most have started “finding” before the death cause the pimping started before the corpse would be cold in the ground.
Now Wendy and her cohorts say that this will not go the existent of KISS merchandising but album cover guitar picks are only the first step. It could not be long until we have action figures, lunchboxes, Dio heads on slippers, or Dio condoms.
It is said that all of this was planned before Ronnie’s passing with his knowledge and that Niji was set up to do just this. Well maybe so but I have a hard time believing Dio would have sold out to such an existent. Sure he did a Budweiser commercial but to do what KISS has I could not see Dio wanting that.
I know I’m not the only person that this bothers, obviously from the comments on the FB, in forums, and people I have spoken to. Sadly this will probably continue.

So what exactly is the problem? Wendy surely has bills to pay, that perhaps can't be covered by existing funds. What's wrong with this? The interest is there now, so you push everything you can. In 10 years, there might not be any more profit available.

The problem is, is nothing sacred? Just seems when you can buy a Savior in 7 Eleven your religion kind of loses some of it's meaning. It's not honoring it is marketing. But hey this is America and that is what we do.

It's very sacred to the fans, but if Ronnie James wanted his image sold to the hilt to help his family, then his wishes are the preeminent consideration here.

Ultimately, the only people who will buy any of this, are Ronnie's fans. And if they want to buy it, than I'm not sure why it's an issue. And really, as the man has passed on, and he's not actively involved in it, than I'm sure how it can impact how even the most skeptical of people view his legacy.

Huh?

You are making the charge against Wendy and co. I'm stating that perhaps you don't have enough information to make such claims, and that even if you did, I don't see the big deal.

"Wendy surely has bills to pay, that perhaps can't be covered by existing funds."
No charges it is just the way it appears. It is very opportunist and that seems very disrespectful. If Ronnie had planned to be a sellout then fine but I cannot believe that.

The difference between KISS and Dio? KISS merchandises instead of constantly producing new music.....obviously, Dio can't produce new music. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Support Niji by buying the new David Feinstein cd....it rocks hard and also contains what may be Dio's last vocal performance.

Well, did you also ever consider that if they don't produce "official" memorial merchandise, than someone else will make money producing inferior bootleg stuff? As others pointed out, you don't have to buy it.

I agree that you can not compare it to KISS, as they are still a (somewhat) active band.

The Facebook Notifications can be disabled by clicking Unlike. Yeah those were a pain in the ass but I don't see the problem. New music will be released and old music remastered. T-shirts, toys (action figures), tribute concerts, tribute albums are just capitalism in effect. Supply and demand and all that.

The difference between KISS and Dio? KISS merchandises instead of constantly producing new music.....obviously, Dio can't produce new music. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Support Niji by buying the new David Feinstein cd....it rocks hard and also contains what may be Dio's last vocal performance.

well see, I have an idea Dio will continue to put out albums like Tupac does.
And the KISS comparsion is to simply point out the marketing, KISS are not a rock band the are a commodity.
Is it so damn hard to understand that some people like myself think it's tasteless to see the dead whored out?
My girlfriend had a pretty good merch idea, she suggested a cancerous growth with the Dio logo on it now there is something to remember his life and death by seems to make more sense than a baseball.

Well, did you also ever consider that if they don't produce "official" memorial merchandise, than someone else will make money producing inferior bootleg stuff? As others pointed out, you don't have to buy it.

What? Bootleggers are going to make unofficial crap regardless of whether or not Wendy greenlights official Dio merchandise. What's that got to do with anything?