Discuss your Expectation Levels FOR sEPTEMBER, 2012

Fizrider

Quasi-Old Fart
Oct 25, 2010
Just curious various folks' excitement levels for each day of the Event: I include Nightwish/Kamelot as a single day, despite suspicions that their setlist may vary by night.

Friday Day/Night is it for me. I may spontaneously combust before the end of Epica's first song. 4 of my 6 most anticipated sets are Friday (Sinbreed, Amaranthe, Serenity, Epica), and the remaining 3 bands are ones I would gladly make a trip to see if they were headlining. Primordial may be my personal Ihsahn - I am really looking forward to that experience.

Second most amount of excitement/anticipation is the Nightwish/Kamelot show. I have wanted to see Nightwish for years. I missed them in '09, should've taken my wife to see them in '07, and didn't know about ProgPower in '03 :)waah:), so I am thrilled to finally do it. As for Kamelot, they were troopers 2 years ago at ProgPower, so I'm really looking forward to a well-done set without drama and distraction from haters.

In third place (if that's possible) is Saturday night. Crazily, though, Pretty Maids might be the one band I am MOST excited to see. Add that Beyond The Bridge is opening (ironically I suspect they will be the Haken of this festival, and they are in the same spot), and Saturday is guaranteed to be a blast for me... with slightly less excitement than the other 2 days. Hey, how can any night ending with Symphony X be less than awesome?

What say all of you? Which Night do you MOST expect to blow your noggin lids off?

It is hard for me to see any of the nights blowing my lid off as of yet, because there is enough unknown to me. For the first time in a long while, I know I'll like both headliners. That being said, I've seen Epica and SyX enough to know that they aren't going to surprise me. Then again, I haven't seen either band in a while (Last saw Epica for the "Divine Conspiracy" tour and SyX on the Odyssey tour.), so it will be good to see them again.

But, I generally don't go for the headliner, but who is in the undercard, and this is harder for me to sort out. Kingcrow is probably the biggest draw for me, but while I liked the last album, it didn't blow me away. I'm looking forward to hearing the new material. Redemption always brings it. Amaranthe is OK, but like Delain it doesn't blow me away. I've already seen Primodial live, and know that I'll be taking my dinner break then. Just not my thing.

Second day, I'm intreagued by Beyond The Bridge, but find it unfortunate that their album costs so damn much. Mayan and Solution 51 are both wildcards that I could either love or hate.

I've already shared my thoughts about Nightwish/Kamelot. I won't repeat them.

So, Friday is definitely the stronger night in my eyes, followed by Saturday night and Nightwish/Kamelot.

I've always wanted to see Symphony X and Epica. So the headliners were no brainers for me. Amaranthe, surprisingly, was one band I had just gotten into, so their only US date is a HUGE draw for me. The rest of the bands I didn't really know. I am now a HUGE fan of Kingcrow and Beyond the Bridge (thank you GLENN!!!!!). I can even play those two for my wife! I really like Sinbreed and Serenity also. I'm also a hair metal 80's guy, so Pretty Maids is a big bonus surprise.

And then came (finally!) the announcement that I get to see two bucket list bands in the same night (twice!): Nightwish and Kamelot. Two of my favorites. So there's no way that every single day of the fest is going to be various levels of AWESOME!

I'm really looking forward to all the bands/days, but for me seeing Lanfear, Solution .45, Mystic Prophecy, and Mayan all in a row??? Oh fuck yes!! :headbang:

Second day, I'm intreagued by Beyond The Bridge, but find it unfortunate that their album costs so damn much. Mayan and Solution 51 are both wildcards that I could either love or hate.

You can get it at Amazon starting at $11.47.

This year's festival looks to be my favorite for several reasons. Symphony X and Redemption are definitely bucket list bands for me. Throw in Kingcrow, my top pick for 2010 and Beyond the Bridge, my presumptive album of the year for 2012, and I could be happy with just those 4 bands. I also have high expectations for Amaranthe, Solution .45, Lanfear, and Serenity. Since Imaginareum came out, I have a new appreciation for Nightwish. I'm also eagerly awaiting Kamelot with a permanent singer.

For me seeing Epica up close in front of the barrier will be..well, "Epic"...but the biggest draws for me will be Beyond the Bridge (album of the year!), Amaranthe, Mystic Prophecy, and Pretty Maids!

Just curious various folks' excitement levels for each day of the Event: I include Nightwish/Kamelot as a single day, despite suspicions that their setlist may vary by night.

Friday Day/Night is it for me. I may spontaneously combust before the end of Epica's first song. 4 of my 6 most anticipated sets are Friday (Sinbreed, Amaranthe, Serenity, Epica), and the remaining 3 bands are ones I would gladly make a trip to see if they were headlining. Primordial may be my personal Ihsahn - I am really looking forward to that experience.

Second most amount of excitement/anticipation is the Nightwish/Kamelot show. I have wanted to see Nightwish for years. I missed them in '09, should've taken my wife to see them in '07, and didn't know about ProgPower in '03 :)waah:), so I am thrilled to finally do it. As for Kamelot, they were troopers 2 years ago at ProgPower, so I'm really looking forward to a well-done set without drama and distraction from haters.

In third place (if that's possible) is Saturday night. Crazily, though, Pretty Maids might be the one band I am MOST excited to see. Add that Beyond The Bridge is opening (ironically I suspect they will be the Haken of this festival, and they are in the same spot), and Saturday is guaranteed to be a blast for me... with slightly less excitement than the other 2 days. Hey, how can any night ending with Symphony X be less than awesome?

What say all of you? Which Night do you MOST expect to blow your noggin lids off?

expectation = metal up our ass!!!!

Beyond the Bridge and Pretty Maids are the two I'm most looking forward to, followed closely by pretty much every other band on the roster. The only real down-side for me is that Symphony X is on after Pretty Maids. I LOVE SX, but their set was almost anti-climactic when they went on after Nightwish at PPIV. Nightwish just slayed that night and I was simply too drained after their set to give SX the appreciation they deserve, and I'm afraid that will be the case again this year. Oh well, we should all have such problems...

The Su expects an awesome time with awesome music and awesome friends
everything else is just awesome-topping of awesomesauce :)

(for the n00bs: this isn't sarcasm. it just sounds like it :)) :headbang:

I think my most anticipated is Mayan. I love that album they put on and it's definitely going to be a one of a kind experience (and it's a bit of a mystery too just because I really don't know what to expect.) Beyond that, I think the two I'm most looking forward to are Mystic Prophecy and Primordial.

Don't get me wrong though, I am quite looking forward to the two headliners as somehow I have neglected to see Symphony X and Epica (despite them touring a lot).

Honestly, there's only two bands I won't be seeing, but I won't get into that.

Saturday night will be my big night. Lanfear, Solution .45, and Mystic Prophecy ALL IN A ROW. Not to mention Symphony X! Friday's not going to be bad either. It's too bad Sinbreed is playing first, I usually make a round of the merch tables first thing when they open the doors, but I'll need to get in position to not miss their set either.