Disperse- Living Mirrors (essential prog metal)

For a ProgPower crowd, the "pump" of a band like Disperse (more so on their newer disc) would absolutely destroy (also when paired with such well-produced stage sonics). The debut's more atmospheric and melodic songs should still be good enough for a heavy crowd, as the atmosphere is utterly entrancing and musicianship creative. I would attend for this band easily. Glenn made quite a smart choice.

I might need to look further into these guys. I was a little turned off by their clip from the announcement video...but I could tell they were all very good musicians (esp that guitarist).

I'll admit I reacted the same. Now that I start to listen to some of the other songs on this thread this morning though, I'm digging it quite a bit.

Same for me.. at first, it doesn't really suck you in, but after a few listens... definitely a grower. Complicated arrangements are definitely an acquired taste.

Somewhat like Shadow Gallery was for me when I first started listening to them.

AUM is a perfect example of the writing chops of these guys. That song was originally one of Jakub's solo pieces, instrumental. They retooled it for Living Mirrors and...well...awesome.

Original for comparison:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been checking these guys out on Spotify since the show and am definitely digging what I am hearing.

Looking forward to digesting the album more........

[I have been listening to SHATTERED SKIES relentlessly for the past year and they definitely are in the same category]

I'll vouch for this one too. Excellent djentish progmetal that still retain a great sense of melody.

Good call Glenn!! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9LrIPAiGxo]From the newest Extol album...[/ame]

I personally thought a lot about the Disperse songs when listening to this. Much heavier and more extreme, but the jazzy-ambient guitar break after the first chorus, the syncopated guitar riffing, and the mellow clean vocal style called Living Mirrors to mind aesthetically. It's that very strange and elusive quality that Disperse has going for them.

The Extol album is extremely good. One of the best this year.

I've listened to Disperse's album once so far, and yes, there is some good stuff there. It's good that ProgPower will have at least one band that loves some djent. However, I feel that Disperse could profit from a better singer.

However, I feel that Disperse could profit from a better singer.

I actually really like the singer for Disperse. I think he's one of the best one's I've heard in a djent band. Most of them I've heard are too high-pitched and nasal. This dude's got depth.

I actually really like the singer for Disperse. I think he's one of the best one's I've heard in a djent band. Most of them I've heard are too high-pitched and nasal. This dude's got depth.

Definitely this. He's young and high, but you can tell he's got a lot of growth potential and skill. I think he perfectly suits their sound.

They have filmed an awesome video clip for Message from Atlantis

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that Profane the Ground would be next, but that was awesome too. A slight re-record and a new mix to go with it as well.