Do you prefer a live band to...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I am curious what people 'prefer.' Do you prefer a band that just plays magnificently on stage, being very tight and sounding great, or do you prefer a band to run around on stage and be very engaging with the audience?

Personally, as long as a band sounds great live, and looks like they are enjoying playing their music and that they are into what they are playing I'm happy. I don't need to see guitarists running around on stage, twirling their guitars, I don't need the crowd chants,...

Not that those things are bad. But I sometimes feel that others -need- that or else they say that the band was 'boring live'.

What are your.. preferences/needs to enjoy a show?

I think there's a little bit if balance. If a band is jumping around like maniacs but sounds awful, I probably won't enjoy it. That being said, watching a band just stand still and play without involving the crowd at all is sort of boring.

I guess I prefer the good sound with a little bit of energy thrown in. And I think you can be engaging with the audience without running around on stage. While many people hate Opeth live, I enjoy Mikael's rapport with the crowd between songs. Of course, maybe those saying they don't like them live are the people that want the running around on stage.
I don't mind crowd chants every now and then but too much can also ruin a set. It's the main reason I hated Leaves Eyes when they opened for Blind Guardian. First off, Liv's vocals were way too low so you could barely hear her sing. On top of that, Alex kept trying to get the crowd to chant & clap while she was singing and would yell "C'mon!" or start doing "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!" drowning her out even more. It made what could have been a decent set utter crap.

I don't think there's a definitive answer. I think it really depends on the band, their musical style and their stage presence. Case in point, Opeth and Isis.

I've seen Opeth on eight occasions. Why? I have no idea, as I find that their shows tend to drag on. Perhaps it's me, but I find the constant transition between aggressive and passive styles grows tiresome as the show moves along. Last year, when I went to go see Isis, I was expecting a similar result. However, I was dead wrong. Perhaps it's because of the way their music slowly builds to a crescendo, rather than transitioning suddenly. However, the more likely explanation is, Isis does a great job of physically expressing their music, while Opeth just stands there.

Generally speaking, I want energy. If I wanted a perfect reproduction of the music, I'd listen to the CD. When I go to a show, especially a Metal show, I want the band to kick my ass. And no band is capable of doing that, no matter how tight, by standing there like mannequins. However, I think this is where it's also listener dependent. If you're one of those people, who comes to ProgPower, grabs your seat, and sits through all of the performances, you probably want great sound. However, if you're down in front, banging your head, you're not even going to notice the occasional missed note.

Zod

I am curious what people 'prefer.' Do you prefer a band that just plays magnificently on stage, being very tight and sounding great, or do you prefer a band to run around on stage and be very engaging with the audience?

Personally, as long as a band sounds great live, and looks like they are enjoying playing their music and that they are into what they are playing I'm happy. I don't need to see guitarists running around on stage, twirling their guitars, I don't need the crowd chants,...

Not that those things are bad. But I sometimes feel that others -need- that or else they say that the band was 'boring live'.

What are your.. preferences/needs to enjoy a show?

Brainstorm and Tad Morose at ProgPower V is my answer. Both of these bands displayed a great deal of energy, crowd involvment, and sounded great. I need all three factors, eventhough I don't expect a band to sound like the CD, in order to be totally happy with a band live. If I wanted to watch a bunch of stiffs on stage then I wouldn't attend metal shows!

~Brian~

Generally speaking, I want energy. If I wanted a perfect reproduction of the music, I'd listen to the CD. When I go to a show, especially a Metal show, I want the band to kick my ass. And no band is capable of doing that, no matter how tight, by standing there like mannequins. However, I think this is where it's also listener dependent. If you're one of those people, who comes to ProgPower, grabs your seat, and sits through all of the performances, you probably want great sound. However, if you're down in front, banging your head, you're not even going to notice the occasional missed note.

Zod

I agree.

~Brian~

Energy is the most important thing, IMO. It's a live show. Some bands, you might as well just pipe in the studio album over the sound system. You'd get the same effect.

When I was watching the Progpower V DVD I was actually surprised at how Tad Morose and Brainstorm's performances didn't sound as precise as they sounded when I was there. They were both a little sloppy in spots. But at the moment, I was so caught up I didn't notice. Same with Edguy. I've never particularly liked any live recordings I've heard of them, but while I was at the show I would have sworn they were awesome. And they were, if you take in the entire performance.

BTW, has anyone listened to the complete PP performance of Wuthering Heights on CD? It's included with their newest album.

It sounds like peanuts, but while I was there it sounded great.

There definitely needs to be a balance. It's still gotta sound *good* but as long as I have that, I don't need perfection. I actually pity the kind of people who talk after a show and say things like "did you notice he totally hit the wrong note on the 3rd measure of the guitar solo?" :p

(That said, of course people are going to notice a wrong note once in a while, but I think you know what I'm talking about.)

I'd rather sit through a band's set that recreates their music well, while also being engaging. Opeth, from what I've seen, can pull off the former, but are essentially glued to the stage in terms of stage presence. I think Gojira is a solid example of the kind of performance I most enjoy. For example:

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, it depends on:

• style of music
  • how familiar I am with the material

I don't expect a lot of crowd interaction or over-the-top stage presence from a prog-metal or prog-rock band, since the focus is more on the musical complexity. Of course, the rare exceptions, where a prog band really blazes away on stage and stuns you with their emotional intensity, just make the experience that much more amazing. Case in point: Pain of Salvation at PPUSA 1.0.
For power-metal, though, I'd expect more stage interaction, since musical complexity isn't as much of a focus.

As for familiarity with material, let's face it: if you're seeing a band live and you don't know a single note of their material, the only way they're going to impress you -- short of astonishing and obviously superior musicianship -- is through their stage presence and how much they involve you in their performance.
Two cases in point from a show last night here in Atlanta:
1. the opening band on the tour, Oblige, were really good...had great stage presence and were clearly very practiced and tight. I didn't know a note of their material, but I was impressed enough to talk to their lead singer afterward about their CD (there wasn't one; they've only just been signed).
2. The direct support slot on the tour was held by a friends' band called Godhead. After their set I heard quite a few people who were only there for the headliners commenting on how much they liked their stage presence and wondering if CDs were available.

I love watching Opeth live, but I know their material quite well....and I could certainly understand if someone who didn't know their material thought they were kinda boring onstage.

I like a bit of both. Example....Queensryche on the Empire tour. The music was spot on and the performance was great. I used to love the type of energy that was in an Iron Maiden show of old. It was like Steve and Bruce were in a competition for the most active and the music was still great.

I think if it is metal, there should be some energy with the show, otherwise, get the live album and listen at home. I don't need a bunch of chit chat though ala Joey DeMaio and those 12 bass solos. sheesh. And I don't want to know their spoken political views. Politics in song is good enough for me. I want to be entertained and I think that most times for me it is a balance of the sound and energy.

I love watching Opeth live, but I know their material quite well....and I could certainly understand if someone who didn't know their material thought they were kinda boring onstage.
I own all their discs, they're one of my favorite bands (although they've been slowly slipping from those ranks), I've been to 8 live performances, and I have to say, they're like watching socks dry. It's even worse when they have an energetic opener. I saw them in NYC 1.5 years ago with Nevermore... forget it about it. To say Nevermore blew them off the stage would be the understatement of the year.

Zod

I own all their discs, they're one of my favorite bands (although they've been slowly slipping from those ranks), I've been to 8 live performances, and I have to say, they're like watching socks dry. It's even worse when they have an energetic opener. I saw them in NYC 1.5 years ago with Nevermore... forget it about it. To say Nevermore blew them off the stage would be the understatement of the year.

Zod

Have you ever seen a Doom'ish band live that really rocked you? Maybe at Chicago Powerfest this year? Just curious. Because I tend to think that when people listen to doom they sit back, close their eyes (at least ... if not driving), and have a good time being absorbed in the music. But at live shows that people want to 'rock out' and expect their band to almost play the music differently live so that it has energy... (not accusing you of this). So, I'd think that a band like Opeth would be best appreciated while sitting down and really listening (i.e. similar to an orchestra... or is that too unmetal to think along those lines?).

Have you ever seen a Doom'ish band live that really rocked you?
Doom is probably my least favorite Metal sub-genre. So, I can't say I've seen many, if any, Doom bands live.

Maybe at Chicago Powerfest this year?
Ended up skipping it, because in my opinion, the line up just couldn't justify the trip to Chicago.

Because I tend to think that when people listen to doom they sit back, close their eyes (at least ... if not driving), and have a good time being absorbed in the music. But at live shows that people want to 'rock out' and expect their band to almost play the music differently live so that it has energy... (not accusing you of this). So, I'd think that a band like Opeth would be best appreciated while sitting down and really listening (i.e. similar to an orchestra... or is that too unmetal to think along those lines?).
I agree with what you've said. There are some bands, whose music can absorb you, and as you said, you can close your eyes and just listen. However, generally speaking, that is not my kind of show.

Zod

I want to see bands engaged by their own material and not too concerned with the people watching them. Now, that in itself can be "putting on a show" for those on tour, because people in a strange town with an upside down sleeping schedule playing the same set of songs every night for a month (or two!) could probably be very bored while playing... so bothering to look interested is probably an effort in itself!

"Putting on a show" in the standard sense just turns me off. It just seems so contrived, and if I want to be "entertained" I'll stay the hell home and read a comic book. And for all the extended singalongs, drum solos, and other miscellaneous shit that happens at shows, the band could have played another song (or two!), which is what I thought the people were coming to see...

But don't mind me, I make frowny faces when the smoke machine is firing off. After going to a couple punk shows here in town where they don't do ANYTHING, not even darken the room, for the performance... that's what I want to see. The band. Playing. But a metal band shows up, turn out the lights and cloud of the room! Fuckers.

As for doom shows... Reverend Bizarre was just intense, aside from when they brought everyone out shirtless for Doom Over the World. Fucked that song all up, that did. Ablaze in Hatred was awesome too, playing to an empty room but the little details of the music just had me entranced. That kicked ass. Yet (as I've mentioned today) Swallow the Sun gave a no-frills performance (well, lights and smoke...) and they bored the hell out of me.

I like the Ozric Tentacles/Flower Kings kind of vibe, just play, talk to people a bit, and play some more. Watching a non-metal band give an instrumental workout makes it obvious how silly the heavy metal frowny faces (and the guitar players making out with the invisible ghost while soloing) can be. When I saw the Flower Kings do Garden of Dreams live, just saying the name of the song made the people in attendance ecstatic, no bullshit needed. Although it was hilarious when they were on the home stretch, fucked up, and I forget who it was that said "woops, we have to start over." Cool save there, the whole place had a laugh, and they finished up the song without anyone thinking less of them. (for all I know they did that same bit every night and it was just part of the show, haha). Opeth concerts, at least as of a few years back, have this unpretentious, "We're here to play music and you're here to listen to it" vibe and I enjoy that best. Cynic was like this too as I recall.

More adrenaline-fueled bands are in a no-win situation, I think. Playing in this kind of unpretentious manner that I like on stage will emasculate the material being played, yet all these death metal bands staying "in character" during the crowd banter makes them look like frickin' fools and often reveals how comically absurd their music is in the first place.

Or they could go all Anal Cunt and attack their fans during the performance. Wondering when it's going to be your turn to run away from Mr. Putnam distracts from certain lacking characteristics of their music. :)