Do you prefer a live band to...

My favorite bands are the ones who grew up on stage. The bands who live for the show, not for the studio. Bands who played countless shows live, before they could even afford to record. If the band is a live band first, then a recording artist second, I'll get the maximum enjoyment.

Yes, I love excellent album production, great recording quality, and inventive songwriting. But most times, that kinda stuff doesn't translate well when it's a bunch of musicians who formed a group to write music, THEN go perform it for live audiences. When it's a BAND, an actual band performing for audiences, that knows what crowds like, and then go record an album, it works much stronger in the studio. Cuz they record albums that sound great, but also translate to a live setting better.

Hard for me to think of specific examples, but Edguy is the glaringly obvious one. Their albums sound like a jammin' band, but with great studio control and perfection. They don't sound stiff and artificial like bands recording to a click track, they sound natural and.... human.

Great thread!

I much prefer the entertainer vibe rather than just standing there. A few posts up there were some comments (Jim's post I think) about the scowls and funny faces made. I actually enjoy that. To me it's the escape. I want the lights out and the fog machine going and the strobes going and the hair flying and the crowd going back and forth with the band. I want to know that they know I'm there and paid to see them and they appreciate it. I want to know they are having just as much fun as me and I just don't get that from a band that stands around and rocks back and forth.

Some of my favorite PP performances have been bands like Edguy, Jag Panzer, Vision Divine, Freak Kitchen, and Epica. As a contrast, I came very close to falling asleep during Zero Hour last year. Just didn't find anything to latch onto.

I've seen all types of bands perform in all types of ways, and I have to say that the most memorable bands for me are the ones who:

1) Play their songs exceptionally well
2) Have great energy or emotion on stage, and
3) Don't fake either.

To this day, my favorite live band is Pain Of Salvation. They meet all of these criteria, and then some. Some leeway should be given here and there, as no band will be spot-on all the time. That's where criterion #2 picks it up. Not all bands are going to be bouncing off of the stage and pummeling you with a visual assault, so criterion #1 had better be there. However, neither of the first two criterion mean as much to me as #3. A band has to give me a real performance, both in their playing and in their attitude. Some bands use too many overdubs (Pyramaze, though an awesome sounding band with great energy, did not need the canned vocals) and others just sound like they've been using the same onstage banter night after night (Tony Kakko of Sonata Arctica, though incredibly talented, sounds scripted in between songs). Those bands don't leave an impression as lasting as those who meet all three of my expectations.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

If it's mechanical, then there is no reason at all for me to be there. I might as well be listening to the CD. There are a few that have fallen into this category for me in the last year, including one PP7 band. Boring.

A great band will pull you in with the passion of what they're playing. Kamelot is the epitome of this to me. I actually appreciate their CDs so much more because I've seen the live performance, and can read that into the music when I listen to it.

I thought Sonata was pretty good live. Maybe Tony's not the best stage presense between songs, but does a great job while singing, and the rest of the band as well. Lots of energy. Looking forward to seeing them again this year.

I don't find people with instruments moving from one side of the stage to another or banging their heads any more or less entertaining than a band that doesn't......so it comes down to the personality of the band members on stage. DLR would still be a great frontman without the swords and high kicks.

I own all their discs, they're one of my favorite bands (although they've been slowly slipping from those ranks), I've been to 8 live performances, and I have to say, they're like watching socks dry. It's even worse when they have an energetic opener. I saw them in NYC 1.5 years ago with Nevermore... forget it about it. To say Nevermore blew them off the stage would be the understatement of the year.

heh, I was so certain that someone -- very possibly you -- would reply in exactly this way that I bet myself a dollar. :lol:

I like the Ozric Tentacles/Flower Kings kind of vibe, just play, talk to people a bit, and play some more. Watching a non-metal band give an instrumental workout makes it obvious how silly the heavy metal frowny faces (and the guitar players making out with the invisible ghost while soloing) can be.

Wow! You remembered that sbow in Atlanta I got you into!

I couldn't agree more with that non-metal/instrumental comparison to metal shows. Not that I mind 'silly' stage stuff and antics at some metal shows where it's expected, but those other types of shows put all the stadium-rock silliness into perspective.

Opeth concerts, at least as of a few years back, have this unpretentious, "We're here to play music and you're here to listen to it" vibe and I enjoy that best.

Yep. "We're here to play music and you're here to yell 'Black Rose Immortal' ineffectually at us, while getting a lesson in death growlies from Mikael." :heh:

More adrenaline-fueled bands are in a no-win situation, I think. Playing in this kind of unpretentious manner that I like on stage will emasculate the material being played, yet all these death metal bands staying "in character" during the crowd banter makes them look like frickin' fools and often reveals how comically absurd their music is in the first place.

Hehe, yep.
Case in point: Shagrath.
Case NOT in point: Dani Filth, who broke 'character' at their last show by telling us frankly that he was running a fever and apologizing for it.

Here's my take on this. The way I look at it is that most of the time, unless it's really a horrific train wreck, an audience member is not going to remember a missed note of some sort. Most of the time, the live sound isn't even good enough for you to really make out what everyone is doing in a metal band anyway. But....they're going to remember a band really throwing down - jumping around, running, interacting with the audience, etc.

I'll give you an example. PPV, Evergrey. I sat there with Zane and watched these guys, who I'd never seen before (I did have In Search Of Truth and loved it, though) and was absolutely amazed at the stage presence. These guys were doing everything a metal band should do. They had the windmills, they moved around like they owned not only the stage but the whole venue and the audience, they had the leather on - basically just total confidence that they were going to destroy the audience, rest of the bill, and the town.

THAT's what I want to see live. Utter confidence & a show - not technical perfection. After all, this is rock & roll, not chamber music.

"Most of the time, the live sound isn't even good enough for you to really make out what everyone is doing in a metal band anyway. But....they're going to remember a band really throwing down - jumping around, running, interacting with the audience, etc."

no truer words have been spoken...lol...we have had nights i thought devane was awful musically...and people raved about it because we just said "fuck it" and put more into the show aspect...other times we have been closer to note perfect and got less response...d.m.

I'm going to have to agree with Braxil and say balance. Some bands can pull off not getting the crowd involved. I just saw Porcupine Tree a few days ago and they didn't really put on a show, but the music sounded awesome live. Just depends on the band I guess.