Florida Metal Scene

I respectfully ask if at all possible to route any suggestions as links to the venue or band sites for ease of the readers visiting this thread. I will likely update my original post with all of your suggestions for new readers and inquiring minds as well. The Florida Metal scene is alive and well!

The legendary Brass Mug...

Instead of legendary I think you meant the infamous Brass Ugh as in infamous because it's a shithole and sucks really bad. But it has been around for a lonnnng time and does get a lot of metal shows.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
In Chicago, we have a monthly online and in-print magazine that comes out called the Illinois Entertainer, which has a calandar that lists all local gigs and shows, promo's for bands, classified's for musicians and music equipment, etc etc.
Is there anything like that in the Tampa area or is it all on Facebook and by word of mouth?

There is one mag like that but I can't remember the name. Used to get it all the time but now I just have the main venues bookmarked together with facebook to find the good stuff. Feel free to hit me on fb if you wish... By the way, if you are moving in Oct.... October 22 - DT at Ruth Eckerd Hall and Firewind @ State Theater October 9.

Still got that hook-up for Firewind? Don't even care for them and it's one of the worst names ever, but love Apollo's vocals so much on the Spiritual Beggars album I've gotta go see him sing.

And yes, I am scared of the Brass Morgue. :lol: But will be braving it for Grave and Warbringer.

I just updated my original post with the bands/venues listed in the thread I didn't already have posted.

Don't forget Black Tide, which actually got signed to Interscope.

I would add them, but they're a bit bigger than the target area I'm trying to pinpoint with the 'local' band thing. Pretty decent act though if they could pick more to say in some of their songs than the same line half a bazillion times (a la "We are the Warriors of Time").

Instead of legendary I think you meant the infamous Brass Ugh as in infamous because it's a shithole and sucks really bad. But it has been around for a lonnnng time and does get a lot of metal shows.

I've heard horror stories, but then again I can't quite say I don't believe them considering the only website I found of theirs is a myspace page. perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

I just updated my original post with the bands/venues listed in the thread I didn't already have posted.

I would add them, but they're a bit bigger than the target area I'm trying to pinpoint with the 'local' band thing. Pretty decent act though if they could pick more to say in some of their songs than the same line half a bazillion times (a la "We are the Warriors of Time").

I've heard horror stories, but then again I can't quite say I don't believe them considering the only website I found of theirs is a myspace page. perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

if you want to trvely be a Florida band, you have to play the mug at least once :)

Would you guys consider a band that is from Florida, but mostly play in Europe. Maybe you heard of them? I think they're called Kamelot?

The Mug is the shit... Filthy, all wood, cheap beer and scary, shaking, old school Tampa death metal types in every corner... Oh, and the toilets only flush on Wednesdays..... So Meeeeetal..... :kickass:

Awesome thread. Yes, we have some cool metal going here in Central FL. So far this year I have seen Trouble, Ozzy, Accept, Iron Maiden, Symphony X, and Volbeat. Holy Grail played again the other night but I missed it. We've got Kamelot, Mr. Big, Stryper, Dream Theater, Firewind and the Intromental Showcase coming up.

Don't forget about House of Blues (Downtown Disney) and Hard Rock Live (Universal). If you are new to Orlando, I would highly recommend any of the "Classic Albums Live" at Hard Rock Live. Pretty unique concert experience.

I was bummed as well when Bourbon Street in New Port Richey closed. They brought in a lot of bands that rarely play down here. I saw Helix, Metal Church, Lillian's Axe and Vicious Rumors there, among others. 2 hour drive for me but worth it every time. I loved that place.

Would you guys consider a band that is from Florida, but mostly play in Europe. Maybe you heard of them? I think they're called Kamelot?

Obvious pick, but just like Black Tide I think they've gone outside the realm of needing promotions from a thread like this. Signed and Successful bands that have already pretty much 'made it' in a sense warrant their own thread.

I THINK Artizan is from Jacksonville...

curse-of-the-artizan_cover.jpg

31,000 fans on facebook, too...not too shabby https://www.facebook.com/artizanmetal

:headbang:

Crap I'm sorry. I totally have you on my word doc on my collection of Florida bands too...I'll definitely add you guys into the original post but i have to format it correctly when I get to a computer tonight. Sorry Ty and the rest of Artizan.

Also still in the process of finding more local bands and adding them to the list. I have at least 5 more I'll be adding tonight. Most of them are on the extreme side but really talented in their own right. Metal is Metal and sometimes you have to be prepared to embrace new things to get the scene to stand out. Some of these bands even put some of the extreme metal acts I was able to see and/or work with in Atlanta to shame. :headbang:

Crap I'm sorry. I totally have you on my word doc on my collection of Florida bands too...I'll definitely add you guys into the original post but i have to format it correctly when I get to a computer tonight. Sorry Ty and the rest of Artizan.

We at intromental disapprove. Such lack of understanding and knowledge. Go stand in a corner!

don't forget the Engine Room in Tallahassee - located near the FSU campus.

looks like a little hellhole from some of the pics, with no true stage, etc. But the place also looks packed for most shows.

COLOSSUS played there recently, so they're used to some traditional metal. :headbang: