Great music, sh*tty band name

(Warning: about to go uber-dork) I've always figured that Pink Cream 69's name went tounge and cheek with bands like Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam. MLB being a reference to the penis, PJ to semen, and PC69 to vaginal secretions.

I have WAY too much time on my hands.......
I think the name is one of the worst, but it sounds like it could be kind of a hair metal or sleeze rock band name. Either way I think almost everyone agrees that it's a sucky band name.

Britt

YUP YUP YUP! Language barrier abominations. Everyone in a while, a j-pop or j-rock song gets dubbed into English and it's the most cringeworthy thing ever. hahaha

The funny thing is not everyone on that list are from outside the U.S., and even some who are know perfectly well what their name means or that it doesn't make a lick of sense. Spread Beaver for example (those dirty boys) knew it's English slang. The worst on the list, imo, is Rackets & Drapes and they're from Denver!

I know all about bad translations. :bah: 90% of what I listen to and musicians I follow are predominantly Japanese and Korean, so these days I spend a lot of time reading translations and even trying to do it myself. There's some really bad stuff out there :ill: It's unfortunate because it often times gets held against the band and they come off as ignorant or unprofessional for not having a proper translation, and then it's a whole other can of worms. Anyway...

Can't forget Bacon Popper!

I'm just shocked that it took 47 posts - unless I missed something between all the mudslinging? - to mention Tad Morose. That was the first band I thought of when I read the first post. And I avoided that band for about two years just because of the name. As soon as they were announced for PPUSA I had to go check them out. And then I wished I had two years earlier. :cry:

oh and I agree that EDGUY is a stupid name for a metal band. Another one I avoided for years for the same reason as Tad Morose.

These days I tend to be a 'tad' more open-minded about band names. And yes, pun fully intended.

:loco:

Dew Scented - sounds like a variety of something sold in a Hallmark Gift Shop as opposed to a thrash/death metal band.

There is a high number of bands with the word "Goat" in their name that are pretty awesome. However, I think that they all have shitty names.

Goatpenis, Goat Horn, Goat Pervertor, etc. Suck it, your band name is terrible.

I think that there is also a high number of generic prog/power bands with stupid portmanteaus as names...some of them are awesome, some shitty, but all these names are terrible. Instanzia is the latest one that I've seen come through this forum. Sift through 30 or so Fire Breath topics for more examples.

And I agree with the replacement of Ks for Cs. Fuck that too. Kataklysm? Terrible. Good band, though. Kreator? C'mon d00ds!

I always thought Sleep was a stupid band name too.

Goblin Cock (Wow)
Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky... (every time I think of them, I want to punch the founder of the band based on the name alone)
Bullet For My Valentine (Doesn't get any more emo than this)
Spock's Beard (Seriously?)
Magic Kingdom (I want to name my band Epcot Center)

That being said, Manimal and Fairyland get the award for the two best bands in the prog/power genre with horrible names.

There is a high number of bands with the word "Goat" in their name that are pretty awesome. However, I think that they all have shitty names.

Goatpenis, Goat Horn, Goat Pervertor, etc. Suck it, your band name is terrible.

I think that there is also a high number of generic prog/power bands with stupid portmanteaus as names...some of them are awesome, some shitty, but all these names are terrible. Instanzia is the latest one that I've seen come through this forum. Sift through 30 or so Fire Breath topics for more examples.

And I agree with the replacement of Ks for Cs. Fuck that too. Kataklysm? Terrible. Good band, though. Kreator? C'mon d00ds!

I always thought Sleep was a stupid band name too.
You forgot GOATWHORE.

Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky... (every time I think of them, I want to punch the founder of the band based on the name alone)

They need to go stand in the corner labeled "BAND NAMES THAT ARE TOO DAMN LONG" along with ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead and Fear Before the March of Flames. That being said, I always thought the one you mentioned sounded sort of cool...