How about ProgPower New York

Sorry for my not commenting earlier. However, I am watching the progress of Texas Madfest VERY closely. If it all comes together, I would not mind putting together a group to make this happen. Sure, it might be expensive to do it in NYC, but look at the long-term rewards. And, there are many ways to make the money back without screwing the bands, fans, promoters, and other festivals. Since this would be in NYC, you have more of an opportunity to search for, and use OPM. Would it make it a bit commercial? Probably. If it meant a band like Tarot (example) going from 3000 CD's to 40,000 CD's sold, would it be worth it? Sure, it is still pushing our music. Who cares how that is done.

Someone earlier made a crack about MTV and metal. Got news for you, do you think Viacom would be stupid enough, when they are around the corner (Actually in the same bulding complex) NOT to allow MTV to cover an event like New York XXXXXXX? Especially if the very possibility of Fuse (being right down the street by Madison Square Garden) parking their trucks right outside MTV's studios in Times Square to cover this? Les Moonves would go postal for it would a very public humiliation to MTV and Viacom.

Look, I am not Chris Clai. I know what my limitations are. I know that a power event will NOT draw 18,000 AT THIS TIME no matter where it is and who is promoting it. However, 2,000 in attendance, and the possibility of doing Pay per-view and cross-promotions are NOT unreasonable. At least I am not saying that we are going to sell out three nights at Giants Stadium with Evegrey and Nightwish as the co-headliners. Could this all blow up in our face? Sure. That is why I have my eyes on what is happening in Texas. Does that make me a crackpot for suggesting something like what I have suggested? Wellll....

Then again, visionaries such as Glenn, Vince McMahon and Simon Fuller were once called that, too.

Peace,
Ray C.

Then again, visionaries such as Glenn, Vince McMahon and Simon Fuller were once called that, too.

Peace,
Ray C.

WARNING : LAME JOKE BELOW

And just think thats not all Glenn, and Vince have in common. They both have a kiss my ass club except one is mandatory, and one is voluntary. ;)

Jack Koshick ran a successful show for quite a while and expanded into Jersey when the time came with Metalfest. The New England Hardcore/Metal folks who have the backing of Mtv, Revolver Magazine, etc also expaned into New Jersey as well. There is a reason why two of the most successful underground metal festival promoters in the States (then & now) haven't touched New York despite it's vast potential.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it just because of the union headache alone much less the expenses. My current budget for PP is over $100,000 and I could see that doubling in NYC.

Good luck.

Jack Koshick ran a successful show for quite a while and expanded into Jersey when the time came with Metalfest. The New England Hardcore/Metal folks who have the backing of Mtv, Revolver Magazine, etc also expaned into New Jersey as well. There is a reason why two of the most successful underground metal festival promoters in the States (then & now) haven't touched New York despite it's vast potential.

Personally, I wouldn't touch it just because of the union headache alone much less the expenses. My current budget for PP is over $100,000 and I could see that doubling in NYC.

Good luck.

Is that for NYC and Long Island alone, or would it be the same with Upstate NY as well?

Is that for NYC and Long Island alone, or would it be the same with Upstate NY as well?

The union applies to all of NY. However, most festival promoters (not affiliated with a club or corporation) don't see the point of doing NY unless it is in NYC or subway close. Otherwise, you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere with the same type of travel situation for the bands, etc.

The union applies to all of NY. However, most festival promoters (not affiliated with a club or corporation) don't see the point of doing NY unless it is in NYC or subway close. Otherwise, you can get a cheaper deal elsewhere with the same type of travel situation for the bands, etc.

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick reply.

My current budget for PP is over $100,000

$100K??? :OMG: I had PP pegged at around $250-300K! Glenn, none of my business, but how do you pay for the airfares, visa, and band fees with a budget of only $100K? I mean the headliners probably would be half the budget right of the bat. And, the airfares for the non-USA bands must be murder. Don't mind me asking, but, How do you pull this off?

Peace (and still in shock)
Ray C.

$100K??? :OMG: I had PP pegged at around $250-300K! Glenn, none of my business, but how do you pay for the airfares, visa, and band fees with a budget of only $100K? I mean the headliners probably would be half the budget right of the bat. And, the airfares for the non-USA bands must be murder. Don't mind me asking, but, How do you pull this off?

Peace (and still in shock)
Ray C.

I'm a little surprised too, but he did say over $100,000. He's a smart man that knows how to put on a kickass show and still stay within his budget!

Speaking of budgets, whatever happened to that Evil Darkmess tour?

I'm a little surprised too, but he did say over $100,000.

That is 100% correct. For those that approach me about starting a festival, I simply give them that number. It's gives them a reality check without me driving the dagger in with actual number costs. I like to help out with advice, but by no means will I lay all of my cards on the table. I have built this from nothing and I aim to stay on top.

That is 100% correct. For those that approach me about starting a festival, I simply give them that number. It's gives them a reality check without me driving the dagger in with actual number costs. I like to help out with advice, but by no means will I lay all of my cards on the table. I have built this from nothing and I aim to stay on top.

And we definately appreciate the advice!! You've set such an outstanding model for how an event should be run that you've inspired a number of people! I'm sure no one intends to trump what you've done with ProgPower. John and myself included. Hell our budget is only a fraction of that, but we are starting small. Even if Madfest grows, we certainly don't want to tread in PP's territory. But you already know that.... And you're right, a good promoter like a good magician never gives away the secrets to the magic he works - another reason we appreciate the advice even more! :cool:

And we definately appreciate the advice!! You've set such an outstanding model for how an event should be run that you've inspired a number of people! I'm sure no one intends to trump what you've done with ProgPower. John and myself included. Hell our budget is only a fraction of that, but we are starting small. Even if Madfest grows, we certainly don't want to tread in PP's territory. But you already know that.... And you're right, a good promoter like a good magician never gives away the secrets to the magic he works - another reason we appreciate the advice even more! :cool:

Glenn, you don't know how much we appreciate the advise that you have given us. And i also want to echo what Tammy said, NEVER in a million years will we ever tread into your territory, we are doing this because it is a dream of mine and music is a passion, but to be honest i don't have the "BALLS OF STEEL" yet to sinke that much money into our little effort. Out of respect for you and Progpower if at anytime we do something that treads on what your doing PLEASE let us know. Your the man, and we do respect and admire what you have done, with that said, PEOPLE!!!!! Doing this shit is hard, and alittle stressful. So if you guys in NY want to do this I wish you the best of luck, but please be prepared to have some disappointments, and so heartaches. It's good that Tammy is like a sister to me if it had been anyone else i think this week they would killed me Right Sis.

I'd be VERY interested in at least helping out with something like that, but I definitely wouldn't take the lead...once i graduate in a couple years, and i have some money to play around with...i'd consider something then.

But if anyone is actually considering trying to set something up, even starting on a really small scale, i'm all about helping out

Let me throw in an eye-opener....

You do not get a single cent from Ticketmaster, Ticket Alternative, etc until the event is over. That is U.S. law in order to prevent credit card fraud. That means you need your own money (or deal with the venue) to essentially pay for everything in advance and then reimburse yourself once the event is over.