I waited too long to book my flight. HELP!

Purveyor Of Evil

Heavy Metal, INC.
Mar 17, 2003
Hughestown, PA.
Visit site
I fucked up royally. I haven't booked my flight yet because every time I saw a price I thought I could do better. Now all the major airlines are at about $740 dollars round trip. I want to leave from Philly. Does anyone know how I could still find a decent price? I don't have skymiles to use because I only fly for Progpower. Any help here would be hot. Thank you!

Oof. Good luck with that. When I bought my ticket the day before in 2009, it was $375, and I was shocked it was that low for less than 24 hours. Once you get under 2-3 weeks, there's rarely any way you'll get a reasonable price.

Amtrak is $159 round trip Tuesday through Monday, but it's a 16 hour trip.

Maybe someone's driving down that will be passing your way?

Did you try maybe leaving a day earlier and just crash that night at a cheap hotel? I dont think price
Would make much difference though! Why did you wait soo long? If
Prices come down again is usually at the last minute to
Fill empty seats! Of course here that is wayy to risky! Or maybe you could try buying
From Philly to FL and then to Atlanta, but I doubt it would be cheaper to fly to FL and the savings
Would not be warranted anyhow to go through 3 airports! I guess my friend that you may need to
Buy this and learn the lesson! It is Friday of a long weekend so the last resort
Would be to wait until Tuesday, which is usually the best day for ticket prices! I dont think prices cpuld get higher
Than this, right? However, maybe availability can be an issue!

I'm seeing a flight out of Atlantic City for $299. It's on Spirit airlines and they usually charge like $40 for carry ons, though.

Its under a 12 hour drive, so that's always an option too. Though that will cost you about $180 in gas (roundtrip).

I just booked with Spirit Airlines. I leave from Atlantic City. I have never used this airport in AC before, so I am a bit nervous. The fare was $328.78 which I thought was pretty good. It also includes the $14.00 I paid for trip insurance. I thank you all for your help and suggestions! Godspeed to us all!

I just booked with Spirit Airlines. I leave from Atlantic City. I have never used this airport in AC before, so I am a bit nervous.

Check out some reviews to be prepared. I've never flown Spirit, but I've read that they hit you up for everything, even charging for all carry-on bags. Read the policies in advance and get there early, just in case.

Steve in Philly

Check out some reviews to be prepared. I've never flown Spirit, but I've read that they hit you up for everything, even charging for all carry-on bags. Read the policies in advance and get there early, just in case.

Steve in Philly
Even with those costs, I saved a ton of money because all of the other airlines are well over $700 dollars. At the last minute, I only paid $100.00 more than last year. Considering what a disaster it could have been, I'm happy.

I just booked with Spirit Airlines. I leave from Atlantic City. I have never used this airport in AC before, so I am a bit nervous. The fare was $328.78 which I thought was pretty good. It also includes the $14.00 I paid for trip insurance. I thank you all for your help and suggestions! Godspeed to us all!

You scared me, man. Glad you're coming. :headbang:

Even with those costs, I saved a ton of money because all of the other airlines are well over $700 dollars. At the last minute, I only paid $100.00 more than last year. Considering what a disaster it could have been, I'm happy.

Spirit bag fees...100 bucks if you check in a bag at the airport. 50 per carry on, and there are no minimum number of bags. You MIGHT be better off Fedexing your clothing to the hotel. Seriously.

Spirit bag fees...100 bucks if you check in a bag at the airport. 50 per carry on, and there are no minimum number of bags. You MIGHT be better off Fedexing your clothing to the hotel. Seriously.
I paid $25 for carry-on and $30 for one checked bag. It's still cheaper than the $744.80 that all of the major carriers are charging just for the fare.

I paid $25 for carry-on and $30 for one checked bag. It's still cheaper than the $744.80 that all of the major carriers are charging just for the fare.

Checked luggage? The only time I check luggage is on my ski trips (kinda hard to carry on a pair of Blizzard Titans. I guess they would not exactly fit in the overhead. :loco: )

Me, when it comes to flights and such, I am a real tight-wad. If I had to fly Spirit and they are going to charge carry-on, I'd be inclined to wear like three t-shirts at once and a couple pairs of underwear and just wear that one pair of shorts the entire time at the festival, then cram whatever else in my laptop bag that will fit under the seat (I think Spirit only charges if it goes into the overhead - I believe you can still take on a single "personal item", i.e. a laptop, that will fit under the seat for free). Then again, how would I get all the CDs and shit that I will no doubt be buying back, though. :eek:

Anyway, joking aside, glad you found a decent flight to get out there. I do recall seeing and meeting you before.

I kinda fucked up myself. Back in May, when the flights were like $180 round-trip from Richmond, VA, I should've jumped on that, but then, I thought they would have to get cheaper. Never did - ended up still paying like $218 in July for round-trip. I was debating to even jump on that, but got to thinking that they probably just wont, so bit the bullet. I figured something like what you ran into was going to happen instead (and from your experience, looks like I was correct).

Kick your feet up and take the train. If you need to take work, you can do it comfortably. If you want a berth, you will have your own private space. And, you do not have to go through the nonsense of screenings and per bag charges, and you can the biggest f-ing bottle of water and sippy cups without some NSA kook taking it from you. :)

Just checked on the Amtrak site: If you go Wednesday, the train leaves at 3:55PM and arrives in Atlanta 8:13AM Thursday, $318 round trip. You would leave Sunday Night at 8:04PM (Train from New Orleans) and arrive in Philly just after noon on Monday. If you want a room with your own toilet/sink, you can get it going to Atlanta (roomettes and bedrooms are available), just not from Atlanta (roomettes and bedrooms are Sold out). As for bags: Free for the first two bags up to 50 pounds, the next two checked are $20 a pop.