Important - Mickey Mouse is against METAL - Please read...

mloanna

Sep 18, 2006
Los Angeles
Stop Disney from discriminating against Metal Bands!

As a lot of you may know, Disney has recently banned any Metal bands from playing in any House of Blues that are on Disney premisis. They want to "Clean up their image" This is bullshit & is total discrimination against Metal bands & their fans. Please sign this petition from the link below to help put a stop to this. Let's make our Metal voices be heard!!!

"Stop Disneys discrimination against metal bands"
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/disneymetaldiscrimination?e

I really think this is an important cause, and I'd like to encourage you to add your signature. It's free and takes less than a minute of your time.

Thanks!

So Disney can have parades and special days in their parks for homosexuals, but to accommodate those of us who love a specific type of music ...oh no, that's too much.

(Please note: I personally do not have anything against people of any sexual orientation, but if you or your company are going to give special treatment to one group that many people find offensive, it doesn't seem right to go picking and choosing other potentially offensive groups to discriminate against.)

Its their private property. They can do what they want. They aren't the only ones that ban metal.

Good metal is about a lot of things Disney may be against. It takes stances.

Given, some metal bands are about as controversial as Bambie, but perhaps its nice to know that metal still has an edge.

I just got off the phone with dtfanatic, who is now in downtown Orlando on his way to see Arch Enemy tonight. Since the show was canceled at House of Blues due to Disney's new anti metal stance, he had to drive way way further than planned to the alt venue. Which means a very late night getting back home on a work night. He is one unhappy guy about this whole deal right about now.

Oh good, internet petitions. Those work well! :Smug:

So Disney can have parades and special days in their parks for homosexuals, but to accommodate those of us who love a specific type of music ...oh no, that's too much.

(Please note: I personally do not have anything against people of any sexual orientation, but if you or your company are going to give special treatment to one group that many people find offensive, it doesn't seem right to go picking and choosing other potentially offensive groups to discriminate against.)

Well, first of all, I don't exactly know how official "Gay Day" at Disney is. Is it something they actually advertise? It's not really fair of you to call them out on it unless it's Officially Disney Buisness. Which I doubt. In a buisness type standpoint, however, it would be REDICULIOUS to tell Gays they can't go to Disney because they're "offensive". Do you have any idea what a huge market homosexual loyalty actually is? Gays bring in the money.

Advocates of Metal, however, are there for one reason: Metal shows. They're not there for the parks, they're not there to spend money, and lets face it, while we all know that potentially, we're some of the nicest people out there, we certainly LOOK threatening. There's no way around that. I don't necessarily want to take my child to Disney World and have to swim through a long haired sea of black clothes. It's intimidating, and it's NOT Disney's Image, and frankly, thats what it boils down to.

It's not discrimination for the sake of exclusion, it's just buisness.
I suppose once Metalheads in general stop making fun of 15 year olds wearing dragonforce shirts to concerts, or stop choking on their beers and scoffing any time someone wears a linkin park hat to a metal show, we will have a leg to stand on for this issue.

Until that happens, stop being hipocrites.

And forgive my spelling. Just playing devils advocate here. :p

Oh good, internet petitions. Those work well! :Smug:

Well, first of all, I don't exactly know how official "Gay Day" at Disney is. Is it something they actually advertise? It's not really fair of you to call them out on it unless it's Officially Disney Buisness. Which I doubt. In a buisness type standpoint, however, it would be REDICULIOUS to tell Gays they can't go to Disney because they're "offensive". Do you have any idea what a huge market homosexual loyalty actually is? Gays bring in the money.

Advocates of Metal, however, are there for one reason: Metal shows. They're not there for the parks, they're not there to spend money, and lets face it, while we all know that potentially, we're some of the nicest people out there, we certainly LOOK threatening. There's no way around that. I don't necessarily want to take my child to Disney World and have to swim through a long haired sea of black clothes. It's intimidating, and it's NOT Disney's Image, and frankly, thats what it boils down to.

It's not discrimination for the sake of exclusion, it's just buisness.
I suppose once Metalheads in general stop making fun of 15 year olds wearing dragonforce shirts to concerts, or stop choking on their beers and scoffing any time someone wears a linkin park hat to a metal show, we will have a leg to stand on for this issue.

Until that happens, stop being hipocrites.

And forgive my spelling. Just playing devils advocate here. :p

There is a difference between metal fans (individuals) who may scoff at other individuals (ie: in this case, scene kids) and Disney (A huge corporation) effectively "scoffing" at the entire metal community.

I agree with you in that Disney owns the land the venues are on, and so it is their right to choose who plays there. However, I don't think that is any justification for telling people not to get angry about it. It's like Disney just said "We don't like your kind here", and understandably, people are upset about it.

I'm not saying don't get angry about it, however, likening it to something else that we do on a regular basis isn't productive. I'm just saying that Buisnesses have images they want to protect. If you go to an interview at any company that is not associated with music pimped out like you'd go to a concert, would you expect to get hired? Same principal.

Do you think they allow the house of blues to cater to underground rap on their premises? I would highly doubt it. So I wouldn't go about getting your panties in knots over the 'metal community' being ushered out. I'm sure it's not the only music to go.

There is a difference between metal fans (individuals) who may scoff at other individuals (ie: in this case, scene kids) and Disney (A huge corporation) effectively "scoffing" at the entire metal community.

What difference is that? Both have an image they'd like to protect, correct? Wherein lies the real difference? And besides, there you go stereotyping in your OWN post! You assume I'm refering to "scene kids". I happen to enjoy Linkin Park myself, and I'd hardly consider myself a "Scene Kid." So, technically, I believe you're just like disney.

nothing personal of course, I'm just here to stir up a debate, and I believe both sides of any issue should be heard.

What difference is that? Both have an image they'd like to protect, correct? Wherein lies the real difference? And besides, there you go stereotyping in your OWN post! You assume I'm refering to "scene kids". I happen to enjoy Linkin Park myself, and I'd hardly consider myself a "Scene Kid." So, technically, I believe you're just like disney.

nothing personal of course, I'm just here to stir up a debate, and I believe both sides of any issue should be heard.

I meant to put "scene kids" in quotations, as that is the general term I hear them described as, as far as concerts go, and the only way I could think to term them to get the point across.

The difference in an individual bias and a corporate one? It's like one redneck making a racial slur vs. Starbucks saying they are no longer serving Jewish customers. Corporate bias takes things to another level, and it can be very damaging for a business to do so. However, Disney doesn't really have to worry about discriminating against metalheads, because they don't think we make up enough of their profit margin to count (we most likely don't :p). And of course there is a difference between race/cultural bias and a bias based on a social group who likes a certain type of music, but it's just that, a bias.

Of course it's nothing personal, I enjoy a debate as much as the next guy. :p

Disney is not against metal, they just want to have more entertainment for the people that actually go to Disneyland like families with small children. They realized that while bands like Arch Enemy are playing at the venue, families and kids attending Disneyland had no entertainment that night.

Why is this such a big deal? Did anyone notice that one of the shows was moved to another venue owned by Disney? Wouldn't they have just canceled the shows and said "we don't want to promote the lifestyle that goes along with metal music" instead of ensuring that the shows were moved to other locations and releasing a statement that it's gearing their entertainment facilities to their target market?

This is being blown out of proportion. I applaud Disney for paying attention to who frequently visits their establishments and taking measures to provide proper entertainment for them, even if it doesn't mean booking more metal bands.

It's like Disney just said "We don't like your kind here"

No they didn't. They said, "Your kind is never here except for shows. Meanwhile, the people here for the parks want entertainment, too. So we are going to reformat our entertainment to suit those who actually DO come to the parks"

Unless I'm way offbase, I believe this change only applies to the venues that are on Disneyland park grounds. How can anyone be upset about this? Frankly I'm surprised these venues were EVER considered for metal shows, because what metalheads go to Disneyland to see Katatonia? :loco:

It has nothing to do with appearances. If that were the case, the shows never would have been booked. Disney took a pro-active approach to support the metal scene by hosting shows that would alienate their family tourists, and all we can do is whine when something changes. Disney tried to bring metalheads into the parks and into the "Disney image" but let's face it, how many Immolation shirts do you see when riding the Ferris Wheel? They booked metal shows to interact with and draw in a new market audience. It may have worked to some small degree, but apparently not well enough.

No they didn't. They said, "Your kind is never here except for shows. Meanwhile, the people here for the parks want entertainment, too. So we are going to reformat our entertainment to suit those who actually DO come to the parks"

Unless I'm way offbase, I believe this change only applies to the venues that are on Disneyland park grounds. How can anyone be upset about this? Frankly I'm surprised these venues were EVER considered for metal shows, because what metalheads go to Disneyland to see Katatonia? :loco:

It has nothing to do with appearances. If that were the case, the shows never would have been booked. Disney took a pro-active approach to support the metal scene by hosting shows that would alienate their family tourists, and all we can do is whine when something changes. Disney tried to bring metalheads into the parks and into the "Disney image" but let's face it, how many Immolation shirts do you see when riding the Ferris Wheel? They booked metal shows to interact with and draw in a new market audience. It may have worked to some small degree, but apparently not well enough.

You make an interesting point. Unless I'm mistaken though, I don't think the venues are anywhere inside the theme parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, etc) themselves, but are somewhere within the miles and miles of land Disney owns around the parks. So I don't know that show-goers would be interacting directly with park-goers. While I understand that they may have had a change of heart as far as booking metal acts goes, my major beef was the fact that they just suddenly canceled all the shows they had booked and abruptly moved them offsite.

(Just for clarification, I love Disneyworld and love going there, regardless of their music policies :D)

The solution is clear:

Metal Day at your local Disney park. :heh:

--No, wait, I'm sorta being serious. After all, if 3,000+ goths can descend upon Disneyland for one day of, well, almost unrelieved blackness, thereby showing the Disney folks that they DO have a presence and CAN be nice to people in large groups, metalheads could try to exert some financial pressure, too.

(The goth event is called Bats' Day; Ruthven and I know one of its annual organizers.)

I agree with everything said here. Disney has it's own business agendas, which clearly do not involve hosting metal shows on their premises. Big fucking deal. Does anyone here actually want Disney involved in the metal scene? I'd wager that would be a resounding NO. For whoever claimed this to be discrimination, I can only laugh.

But Mickey mouse looks so fucking metal here...

mickey.jpg

Disney is not against metal, they just want to have more entertainment for the people that actually go to Disneyland like families with small children. They realized that while bands like Arch Enemy are playing at the venue, families and kids attending Disneyland had no entertainment that night.

Why is this such a big deal? Did anyone notice that one of the shows was moved to another venue owned by Disney? Wouldn't they have just canceled the shows and said "we don't want to promote the lifestyle that goes along with metal music" instead of ensuring that the shows were moved to other locations and releasing a statement that it's gearing their entertainment facilities to their target market?

This is being blown out of proportion. I applaud Disney for paying attention to who frequently visits their establishments and taking measures to provide proper entertainment for them, even if it doesn't mean booking more metal bands.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. :kickass: