Important - Mickey Mouse is against METAL - Please read...

But Mickey mouse looks so fucking metal here...

mickey.jpg

Freaking hilarious!!!:lol:

Based on a large portion of the responses in that online petition, I doubt anyone will take it seriously.

That said, Disney has every right to choose who plays at venues on their property. It would obviously be different if they were discriminating against people based on race/creed/sex, etc., but as far as I can tell they are well within their rights here. (not saying I like it or anything, but it is what it is)

Jason

All of us that listen to metal don't necessarily look threatening. Metal is simply a style of music, eventhough some of us choose to look the part, some of us strictly like and enjoy the music.

~Brian~

No kidding. I often dress the part (okay, mostly band t-shirts. Is that enough to count? ;)), yet still I don't look threatening. In fact, I've been told, while dressed all in black and sporting a metal tee, that I don't look like I'd listen to metal. How this works, I don't quite understand. But I'm one metalhead that doesn't look threatening (or even like she listens to metal).

I take issue with the title of this thread. Mickey is not anti-metal; rather, I simply don't think Michael Eisner has Mickey's best interests in mind.

I take issue with the title of this thread. Mickey is not anti-metal; rather, I simply don't think Michael Eisner has Mickey's best interests in mind.

Michael Eisner is no longer at Disney...

What gets me is- in Anaheim in came down to 2 days before the show when they moved it to the Glass House. Don't these people read tour contracts and research who they are booking PRIOR to selling tix and such? Just like Lamb of God was moved because the GW Forum (owned by Christian Company) didn't like their name...why on earth would you book them only to turn around and cancel.

Granted yes Disney and it's affliates can book who they want in their venues and on their property but to label all as 'undesireable' shows how narrow minded they are.

But Mickey mouse looks so fucking metal here...

mickey.jpg

That little girl on the right half way cut of out the picture looks confused. :lol:
No doubt Disney saw this picture and said "Nope we can't have them long haired metal listening freaks hugging Mickey and confusing all the little children, We gotta solve this problem. There can't be nice metalheads! Operation 'remove good music' is in effect!"

While I agree Disney has a right to do this on thier property, I still think it's bad policy. Especially canceling gigs after they are booked. That's BS. If they wanted to stop booking anymore metal bands, then oh well what can we do? They couldn't have waited a few more months or so until all the shows were done. I don't get that at all.
I have been to several shows at the Orlando location and never saw anything bad happen there. This includes Slayer earlier this year. The House of blues is located at Downtown Disney, not in the parks. It caters to adults at night. Dancing, Drinking, Etc. This will affect the way I look at Disney and probably will not go to the parks anymore. I will also try to avoid thier products as much as possible. It sucks down here in Florida because there are not many places in the 2000-3000 capacity range for bands to play. I can see even more tours skipping over Florida, if that's even possible.:erk:
I just want to apologize to everbody's kids if all the long-hairs scared them while waiting in line to see a concert? :Smug:

My guess is that it's all about the Almighty Dollar. They can make more money and justify the electric bill for something that serves "mass quanitities" of people.

Wonder how they handle the bands that walk the fine line - like Aerosmith or Bon Jovi. It's not heavy metal, but it's hard rock?

I'm sticking with what I said - however many X amount of tickets they can sell.

As for the Disney "Gay Days" they realized that there was a large population of people that could boycott their place if they weren't open to those sorts of promotions.

It's all about the money!

All of us that listen to metal don't necessarily look threatening. Metal is simply a style of music, eventhough some of us choose to look the part, some of us strictly like and enjoy the music.

~Brian~

Truth. But lets face it, when you go to a metal show, people like you and I are in small numbers. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

While I agree Disney has a right to do this on thier property, I still think it's bad policy. Especially canceling gigs after they are booked. That's BS. If they wanted to stop booking anymore metal bands, then oh well what can we do? They couldn't have waited a few more months or so until all the shows were done. I don't get that at all.
I have been to several shows at the Orlando location and never saw anything bad happen there. This includes Slayer earlier this year. The House of blues is located at Downtown Disney, not in the parks. It caters to adults at night. Dancing, Drinking, Etc. This will affect the way I look at Disney and probably will not go to the parks anymore. I will also try to avoid thier products as much as possible. It sucks down here in Florida because there are not many places in the 2000-3000 capacity range for bands to play. I can see even more tours skipping over Florida, if that's even possible.:erk:
I just want to apologize to everbody's kids if all the long-hairs scared them while waiting in line to see a concert? :Smug:

The set up is the same at the Anaheim HOB. It is located at Downtown Disney. Matter of fact ESPN Zone is also located at Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is the only place at Disney I think that you can buy Alcohol.

The solution is clear:

Metal Day at your local Disney park. :heh:

--No, wait, I'm sorta being serious. After all, if 3,000+ goths can descend upon Disneyland for one day of, well, almost unrelieved blackness, thereby showing the Disney folks that they DO have a presence and CAN be nice to people in large groups, metalheads could try to exert some financial pressure, too.

(The goth event is called Bats' Day; Ruthven and I know one of its annual organizers.)

I like the idea. I went to BAT DAY a few years ago and it was pretty good to see a little darkness in the land of Disney.

Here's all the shows that came up at Ticketmaster for HOB Orlando. It looks like only a couple metal shows are canceled as of now. Where is the line exactly here? The Avenged Sevenfold show and the Static X/ Shadows Fall tour are the only ones out so far. Most of the bands on here don't look like family get together time either so I don't understand that excuse. I don't even think it's a money issue. I figure they recieved a few complaints about the crowd from some guests and that was it. A few decide what action will be taken. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I will say this...the place is run like shit before the concerts. They have the line wrapping around the building right in front of the entrance for people to enter just eat at the restaurant. It's a big pain in the ass for the concert goers and the other patrons. If they just re-routed the lines it would ease the dreadful confrontation between metal fans and the half assed, over priced food fans. :heh:

Anyway, here's the list if you want to check it out.

House of Blues Orlando
1490 East Lake Buena Vista Dr, Orlando, FL 32830

Wed, 09/19/07
07:00 PM Queens of the Stone Age

Sun, 09/23/07
06:00 PM Henry Rollins-Spoken Word

Sun, 09/23/07
10:30 PM Service Industry Night

Wed, 09/26/07
06:30 PM Dropkick Murphys

Thu, 09/27/07
06:00 PM Atreyu

Fri, 09/28/07
07:00 PM Dreey-C

Sat, 09/29/07
08:00 PM R.K.M. & Ken Y

Sun, 09/30/07
07:00 PM Common

Sun, 09/30/07

Tue, 10/02/07
07:00 PM Rilo Kiley

Wed, 10/03/07
07:00 PM Porcupine Tree

Thu, 10/04/07
06:30 PM Megadeth

Fri, 10/05/07
06:30 PM Dashboard Confessional (Solo)

Sat, 10/06/07
06:30 PM Dashboard Confessional (Solo)

Sun, 10/07/07

Nickel Creek

currently not on sale
Tue, 10/09/07
06:00 PM Boys Like Girls

Sat, 10/13/07
07:30 PM Chevelle

Sun, 10/14/07
06:30 PM Puddle of Mudd & Saliva

Sun, 10/14/07

Mon, 10/15/07
06:30 PM New Found Glory and Senses Fail

Tue, 10/16/07
06:00 PM The Academy Is

Fri, 10/19/07
06:30 PM Saosin

Canceled Static X and Shadows Fall

currently not on sale
Sun, 10/21/07
06:30 PM Hanson

Sun, 10/21/07

Wed, 10/24/07
07:00 PM Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Thu, 10/25/07
07:00 PM Corey Smith

Fri, 10/26/07
07:00 PM Soul Asylum

Sat, 10/27/07
09:00 PM Arcangel

Sun, 10/28/07
06:30 PM Elliott Yamin

Sun, 10/28/07

Wed, 10/31/07
05:30 PM MTVU presents: Motion City Soundtrack

Fri, 11/02/07
07:00 PM Mute Math

Sun, 11/04/07
06:00 PM Reverend Horton Heat

Mon, 11/05/07
07:00 PM As I Lay Dying

Tue, 11/06/07
06:00 PM Underoath

Thu, 11/08/07
07:00 PM Pepper

Fri, 11/09/07
06:30 PM Against Me!
Sat, 11/10/07
06:15 PM Blue October & Yellow Card

Sun, 11/11/07
06:30 PM Badfish - a Tribute To Sublime

Mon, 11/12/07
06:30 PM Chiodos

Tue, 11/13/07
07:00 PM Keller Williams

Thu, 11/15/07
07:00 PM Nightwish

Fri, 11/16/07
07:00 PM Bob Weir & Ratdog

Mon, 11/19/07
06:30 PM Coheed and Cambria

Canceled Avenged Sevenfold
More Info
currently not on sale
Sat, 11/24/07
06:00 PM Brand New

Sun, 11/25/07
05:00 PM Brand New

Fri, 12/14/07
09:00 PM Erick Morillo

Sat, 12/29/07
07:00 PM "Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi - Soul Stew Revival"

Fri, 01/18/08
07:30 PM Toad the Wet Sprocket

Sun, 01/20/08
07:00 PM Robin Trower

presale begins:
Wed, 10/10/07 10:00 AM
Wed, 02/13/08
07:00 PM Queensryche

If this is discrimination by Disney...then Glenn is discriminating against all digital camera owners. I just do not see this as something to get worked up over.

As for being about the dollar, well yes it is always about money. Esp. for a business, that's what they do...make money.

I just thought of something... Seeing the list of the bands that ARE playing and the ones who AREN'T, and taking into account Disney's statements, I'm willing to venture that this is an issue relating to sponsorship or something" behind the scenes" that somehow does not line-up with Disney's ideas of their patrons. In other words, some of these might be marketing tours or promo events put on by corporations that Disney does not want to associate with, and they only found out after the show was booked. For instance, R.J. Reynolds is currently working HARD on push Camel cigarettes on the metal crowd. Maybe those canceled events are Camel shows, or perhaps another "unsavory" sponsor like an alcohol company or a company with a "concerning" mission statement. Maybe these few shows failed to meet/agree to "code of conduct" requirements set forth by Disney in order to play at their resort venues.

Who knows? After seeing the list of all the shows that have stayed at the venue, I will be shocked if anyone tries to continue claiming discrimination against metalheads :Smug: