Iron Maiden wins Grammy

ZaneF2010

KS Metalhead
Oct 18, 2010
Topeka, KS
I know few people if anyone (including myself) actually care about the grammy's themselves, I just think its pretty cool when one of the all time great metal bands in the world finally gets their due.:heh:

IRON MAIDEN – 'El Dorado' (Best Metal Performance),
THEM CROOKED VULTURES's New Fang' (Best Hard Rock Performance)
JEFF BECK's 'Hammerhead' (Best Rock Instrumental Performance) were winners earlier today at The 53rd Annual Grammy Awards, taking place in Los Angeles at Staples Center tonight (Sunday, February 13th) and airing live now on the CBS Television Network from 8 – 11:30 PM (ET/PT).

Get their due? I'd say getting their due is having people who are actually interested in their music listen to their albums and go to their shows. Getting an "award" from some out-of-touch popularity contest voters, most of whom probably never even listened to the song, is beyond meaningless.

They probably just picked them because they haven't won it yet if I were to guess. Let's be realistic here, it's probably the worst song off that album. I don't know what the other nominees were right now, but I'm guessing at least one of those was a better song than this.

While I don't know how exactly how artists are selected to win the grammys, I assume it's no different than the tonys or oscars in that a group of people within the industry vote on winners. However, the main difference between the grammys and the other award shows is that the grammys as a program is specifically broadcast to an audience that only cares about Top 40 type stuff not unlike the MTV movie awards etc. It's not like the oscars which commands a much different and broader viewership and thus the program in general is tailored more or less to that audience.

Get their due? I'd say getting their due is having people who are actually interested in their music listen to their albums and go to their shows. Getting an "award" from some out-of-touch popularity contest voters, most of whom probably never even listened to the song, is beyond meaningless.

Grammys were on last night so wifey could laugh at the dresses. I listened for a while... I knew some of the Country acts, NONE of anyone else, and realized I knew more about female-fronted (thank you Dr. Freud) symphonic Dutch and Danish Metal than I did about popular music.

Can't say I'm upset about that.

A Grammy and a dollar will get you a McDouble.

I personally don't care that a bunch of suits finally decided IM was hip enough to let into thier little club. Fuck the Grammy's...Maiden fans already know what's what.

Grammys were on last night so wifey could laugh at the dresses. I listened for a while... I knew some of the Country acts, NONE of anyone else, and realized I knew more about female-fronted (thank you Dr. Freud) symphonic Dutch and Danish Metal than I did about popular music.

Can't say I'm upset about that.

lol I'd be pretty upset about that if it was me.

They probably just picked them because they haven't won it yet if I were to guess.

Agreed.. and that's such a shame. They deserve a huge "lifetime achievement" award, but in terms of "best metal performance" of the year, I think Accept deserves that for BOTN!

This.

i was pulling for JETHRO TULL this year actually! i figured they were a shoe-in. ;)

:loco: Some here probably have no idea of which you speak.....

Anyhow, the fact that year after year people even speak of this is ridiculous.

I mean, Judas Priest winning for a live version of a song off of a live compilation album? NOTHING on TOUCH OF EVIL - LIVE would represent the BEST PERFORMANCE of anything. Furthermore, those performances were from before the validation period, so no LIVE recording should be eligible.

Then a few years prior, MOTORHEAD won for a Metallica cover. Can't even remember which song. I don't know how these guys can walk up there and accept it. I know for business reasons they need to play nice, but still. I mean I would have loved for Lemmy to walk up there and say, "You know you dumb bastards, we didn't even write this song??? 30 plus f*cking years and you recognize us for a cover song?"

DIO was acknowledged in the section they did for musicians who passed this year.