Iron Maiden wins Grammy

The Media and the Industry loved Eddie's guys... 30 years ago.

Not sure WTF you are talking about here.
Maiden were NEVER media darlings.
They were never played on commercial radio in the 80s, 90s, or beyond.

Sure there were a handful of metal stations that were not 24 hours, that played Maiden on occasion, but they were not "regular rotation" on your cities pop rock station.

If anything, they got "some" video play on Headbanger's Ball in the 80s, but that was about it.

Hate to pull age on you, but if you weren't there, don't talk like you know.
(Granted, I don't know if you WEREN'T there or not, but you are talking like someone who was but wasn't , based on your statements above)

1990 Metallica - "One"
1991 Metallica - "Stone Cold Crazy"
1992 Metallica - "Metallica"
1993 Nine Inch Nails - "Wish"
1994 Ozzy - "I Don't Want to Change the World"
1995 Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
1996 Nine Inch Nails - "Happiness in Slavery" (live)
1997 Rage Against the Machine - "Tire Me"
1998 Tool - "Ænema"
1999 Metallica - "Better Than You"
2000 Black Sabbath - "Iron Man"
2001 Deftones - "Elite"
2002 Tool - "Schism"
2003 Korn - "Here to Stay"
2004 Metallica - "St. Anger"
2005 Motörhead - "Whiplash"
2006 Slipknot - "Before I Forget"
2007 Slayer - "Eyes of the Insane"
2008 Slayer - "Final Six"
2009 Metallica - "My Apocalypse"
2010 Judas Priest - "Dissident Aggressor" (live)
2011 Iron Maiden - "El Dorado"

Wow! That's a lot of Metallica wins. I had a conversation with a friend of mine at one point, and I think part of the reason they always win when they're nominated is due to them being screwed when they were beat by Jethro Tull years ago. There was some backlash for that one and I think ever since, they've overdone it where anytime they're nominated, they win. Looking at the rest of the list, it's pretty obvious what they do for the most part which is make the winners ones that have recognition. Hell, the times Priest and Sabbath won, they were for live recordings. Maiden's this year was for the worst track on the disc and Slayer gets a win for a bonus track on a re-release?

The only time I was shocked was when a couple years ago they nominated King Diamond. I honestly was surprised they even knew of King Diamond to be honest. That was about the first and only time I cared who won (even though I knew there was no way in hell King would win). But yeah, it's pretty obvious to me what they do. Either they give awards to bands that are questionable to even be in the metal category or they give it to a legendary band who has been around for quite some time.

Iron Maiden did get some FM radio-play "back in the day".....although at one time, 96Rock here in Atlanta had a "no Iron Maiden" policy -- to the chagrin of some deejays there who I knew pretty well. Before that, and afterward, they were playable.

Iron Maiden did get some FM radio-play "back in the day".....although at one time, 96Rock here in Atlanta had a "no Iron Maiden" policy -- to the chagrin of some deejays there who I knew pretty well. Before that, and afterward, they were playable.

Here in Chicago we had WVVX that was an evening program that played Maiden. There was periods of Z ROCK, and then REBEL RADIO which is on AM that sometimes play.

Maybe I took the original posters comments wrong, but it was written as if they were played regularly, along with Priest, on "commercial" rock radio, which is a major difference.

Now they get their classics played on classic rock radio, but those stations, at least here in Chicago, would not touch anything from a new album, which is REALLY fucking sad and pisses me off.

I remember this summer at Maiden, a couple older fans were looking at some setlist spoilers online on their phones. They read off the setlist to each other, and for 75% of the setlist (Which was Brave New World through the new one), they all replied, "Nope, don't know that one"

Well, unfortunately, there are MANY old school fans (my older brother is an example) who does not keep up with things online, and truly hears first about shows from radio or local music rags with ads. These fans aren't the ones who even know new albums are coming out.

I guess I am getting off on a tangent here, but the point is that bands like Maiden and Priest, who are doing quite well, could even be doing better if the few stations who DID support them played newer tracks and not JUST Run to the Hills and Breaking The Law.

Here in Chicago we had WVVX that was an evening program that played Maiden. There was periods of Z ROCK, and then REBEL RADIO which is on AM that sometimes play.

I missed those days. :(
Rebel radio was all we had in the mid to late 90s when Rock 103.5 faded out. The only bad thing was that it was on from Midnight to 6am. That station introduced me to so many bands it's not even funny.

Now they get their classics played on classic rock radio, but those stations, at least here in Chicago, would not touch anything from a new album, which is REALLY fucking sad and pisses me off.

Yeah I don't think I've ever heard anything of Maiden on regular radio other than Run to the hills which I agree is fucking sad.

I remember this summer at Maiden, a couple older fans were looking at some setlist spoilers online on their phones. They read off the setlist to each other, and for 75% of the setlist (Which was Brave New World through the new one), they all replied, "Nope, don't know that one"

Well, unfortunately, there are MANY old school fans (my older brother is an example) who does not keep up with things online, and truly hears first about shows from radio or local music rags with ads. These fans aren't the ones who even know new albums are coming out.

They do exist! Yeah man it's crazy how some people haven't bought an album of certain bands since 1989. This is why cover bands are so popular here, you have no idea how many times at a bar I've seen people go bat shit crazy as soon as they hear a cover band start playing the intro to "Don't stop believing". Seriously.

Wow! That's a lot of Metallica wins.

They've actually had 3 more wins outside of the Best Metal category.

2000: Best Hard Rock Performance – "Whiskey in the Jar "
2001: Best Rock Instrumental Performance – "The Call of Ktulu"
2009: Best Recording Package – Death Magnetic

2009: Best Recording Package – Death Magnetic

What does this even mean? The actual "packaging" of the album?
Yeah, it was really cool having a coffin shaped hole in the middle of EVERY page of the booklet.....

This is why KISS rules!!!!
Any of you other old farts remember the pop gun that came with LOVE GUN?

No one did inserts better than KISS!

What does this even mean? The actual "packaging" of the album?
Yeah, it was really cool having a coffin shaped hole in the middle of EVERY page of the booklet.....

This is why KISS rules!!!!
Any of you other old farts remember the pop gun that came with LOVE GUN?

No one did inserts better than KISS!

Wikipedia:
"The Grammy Award for Best Recording Package is one of a series of Grammy Awards presented for the visual look of an album. It is presented to the art director of the winning album."

Wikipedia:
"The Grammy Award for Best Recording Package is one of a series of Grammy Awards presented for the visual look of an album. It is presented to the art director of the winning album."

I guess it's cool that the academy recognizes the importance and value of the packaging and artwork.

Still though, I always hated the DEATH MAGNETIC packaging and cover.

I certainly hope this year went to the lovely Katy Perry!
Katy-Perry-Teenage-Dream.jpg

I guess it's cool that the academy recognizes the importance and value of the packaging and artwork.

Still though, I always hated the DEATH MAGNETIC packaging and cover.

I actually thought that album cover/packaging was cool. The thing that pissed me off the most in the early stages of the release of the album though was them being wankers for slowly releasing the title/artwork for the album by giving few images/letters per day. That's just pure ego there.

I guess I am getting off on a tangent here, but the point is that bands like Maiden and Priest, who are doing quite well, could even be doing better if the few stations who DID support them played newer tracks and not JUST Run to the Hills and Breaking The Law.

I don't know how many listeners they have at any given moment, but Sirius/XM's Boneyard and Liquid Metal channels have both featured new Iron Maiden in regular rotation. Since a lot of new cars are offered with complimentary satellite radio for a trial period, I assume the number of listeners is steadily increasing.

I don't know how many listeners they have at any given moment, but Sirius/XM's Boneyard and Liquid Metal channels have both featured new Iron Maiden in regular rotation. Since a lot of new cars are offered with complimentary satellite radio for a trial period, I assume the number of listeners is steadily increasing.

That could certainly be.
I am not a satellite radio subscriber, so I really don't know.

I am sure it is certainly helping though.

Okay, is it just me, or does Bruce go off-key when he sings the chorus in El Dorado? I can't tell if he's off-key, or if he's hitting a weird note on purpose. Specifically, the part where he goes, "El Dor -aaa- do.." at the beginning.

Is that just me?? It bugs me, every time.

Not sure WTF you are talking about here.
Hate to pull age on you, but if you weren't there, don't talk like you know.
(Granted, I don't know if you WEREN'T there or not, but you are talking like someone who was but wasn't , based on your statements above)

I'm 43.

I began driving in 1983, which means I was listening to the radio a lot, since indash cassette players were expensive, and the CD player hadn't been invented.

On Atlanta radio there were 2 stations that Played Maiden. When a new Maiden album came out, you heard the same ad for it 12x a day. When Maiden came for a concert, you heard about it ALL THE TIME.

Before there WAS a headbangers ball, and MTV only played 14 videos, Run to the hills was one of them.

Not to pull age on you, or anything... but I was there. I remember it.

Then grunge came along like mutated kudzu and ruined the universe.

Okay, is it just me, or does Bruce go off-key when he sings the chorus in El Dorado? I can't tell if he's off-key, or if he's hitting a weird note on purpose. Specifically, the part where he goes, "El Dor -aaa- do.." at the beginning.

Is that just me?? It bugs me, every time.

Would a weird note be off-key, on purpose or not?

Fizrider - Fair enough my friend! I certainly retract my statements.

Sorry - there are MANY people online, even here on THIS forum and this thread to be exact, who continuously speak as if they remember listening to Maiden on the radio in the 80s.

There are many young fans who think that even in metal's heyday, Iron Maiden, Priest, etc, were on regular rotation.

I of course do not know the media market in Atlanta. Here in Chicago, metal was reserved for night time shows only. Later in the 90s there were more 24 hour "hard rock" stations, but that was still primarily reserved for true commercial hard rock / alternative bands.

Would a weird note be off-key, on purpose or not?

I suppose you're right.. it's in such a place where, if he's doing it on purpose, it still feels strange, but it does give an odd edge to the chorus.. but how could their producer not catch that and fix it in post?? Unless I have strange magical ears or something, which I doubt.

Fizrider - Fair enough my friend! I certainly retract my statements.

No worries, mate - the "prime" of Atlanta radio was probably in the early 80's ... since then WKLS ("96Rock") has gone away, and its successor station (100.5) seems to only have 9 songs on their setlist. Heck - 96Rock went through a phase where "Tom Sawyer" had to be played 2x an hour or the D.J. would get fired.

Maiden, Priest and Sabbath were what we listened to while hitting the half-pipe in my dad's neighbor's barn in Jersey, to tell the truth... that, and a little Clash.

That's because you only like obscure, avant-garde black metal, and whatever pop music you think will make you look like a well-rounded music fan.

Wow I didn't realize that bands that outsell most of the bands that play this festival like Nachtmystium and Alcest are "obscure." I also didn't realize that Dream Evil, Pagan's Mind, Orphaned Land, Rhapsody, Periphery, Symphony X, Radiohead, Magrudergrind, Wu Tang Clan, Jedi Mind Tricks, Aesop Rock, The Beastie Boys, Skrillex, Bar 9, Tiesto, Converge, Napalm Death, Nasum, The Smiths, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, U2, Tegan & Sara, Paramore, Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, The Beatles etc etc were black metal. Finally lol @ the generalized rationalization because you can't comprehend someone actually appreciating Lady Gaga. Sry that there's more to music than metal -- or specifically, symphonic "female fronted" metal.

:D

this is the most prestigious award in the music industry.

Says who? I mean, like I said, it's a program that they market to a specific audience that watches it. Music has become so chopped up spread out over the last 10 years that it's pretty much impossible to award anyone anything for music. I refuse to read most music reviews etc. It just makes no more sense in this day and age where there are so many bands that exist for so many different purposes that any sort of authority cannot exist. It's not like with movies or games where there is such a finite amount of things to review in comparison.

The idea of having any sort of musical authority just makes no sense. There's far too much of it.

Jasonic - Katy Perry is definitely the most attractive out of the 3 big pop divas right now by a LONGSHOT (Gaga, Ke$ha, KP), but I don't really care for her tunes. :(