Iron Maiden wins Grammy

Obviously Iron Maiden thinks this was a big deal. They had their Grammy win posted for all to see on their web page. The grammy's are plain and simply a joke as far as I'm concerned. However, congrats to Iron Maiden, getting recognized for ANYTHING in the US is quite a deal for them. If anything its a giant middle finger to the industry who has helped them ummm..... NOT AT ALL.

However, congrats to Iron Maiden, getting recognized for ANYTHING in the US is quite a deal for them. If anything its a giant middle finger to the industry who has helped them ummm..... NOT AT ALL.

Be fair... Iron Maiden suffered from gross over exposure in the early 80's when they and Judas Priest were the only metal bands on the planet, if you listened to FM radio.

Then grunge happened, and if you were not a Cobain clone, good luck getting airtime anywhere outside of hip hop or country.

The Media and the Industry loved Eddie's guys... 30 years ago.

Iron Maiden deserved a grammy way back in the "Powerslave" "Somewhere In Time" era. 25 years late, so fuck you Grammys!

1990 Metallica - "One"
1991 Metallica - "Stone Cold Crazy"
1992 Metallica - "Metallica"
1993 Nine Inch Nails - "Wish"
1994 Ozzy - "I Don't Want to Change the World"
1995 Soundgarden - "Spoonman"
1996 Nine Inch Nails - "Happiness in Slavery" (live)
1997 Rage Against the Machine - "Tire Me"
1998 Tool - "Ænema"
1999 Metallica - "Better Than You"
2000 Black Sabbath - "Iron Man"
2001 Deftones - "Elite"
2002 Tool - "Schism"
2003 Korn - "Here to Stay"
2004 Metallica - "St. Anger"
2005 Motörhead - "Whiplash"
2006 Slipknot - "Before I Forget"
2007 Slayer - "Eyes of the Insane"
2008 Slayer - "Final Six"
2009 Metallica - "My Apocalypse"
2010 Judas Priest - "Dissident Aggressor" (live)
2011 Iron Maiden - "El Dorado"

The time I'm thinking of was like 10 years after S&M, and they won for a recording that was 1. 10 years old, and 2. something they didn't play on.

2001: Best Rock Instrumental Performance – "The Call of Ktulu" with Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony

:confused:
So...can a whole album win, as opposed to one song?

I guess so. My favorite was 1991

The nominees:
Metallica - Stone Cold Crazy
Anthrax – Persistence of Time
Judas Priest – Painkiller
Megadeth – Rust in Peace
Suicidal Tendencies – Lights...Camera...Revolution!

4 awesome albums were beaten by a cover song Metallica put out as a B side to Enter Sandman. :guh:

Yep, I believe Pearl Jam were once nominated in the metal category.
Maybe not the Grammys, but one of the others.

The 90's was a VERY weird time for music in general.

How exactly is that a surprise to you? We're talking about the Grammy's! They have given the Best Metal Album to St. Anger for god's sake! They don't know JACK about the genre "metal," and they really give the awards based on sales. This should not have come as a surprise, as other acts such as Pearl Jam have been nominated in the Metal category in the past.

They don't know JACK about the genre "metal,"

That pretty much sums it up right there, it's such a shame too because this is the most prestigious award in the music industry. You'd figure they would put a bit more effort into their categories.

they really give the awards based on sales.

I wish it was this easy but I doubt that Motorhead sold more copies of their cover of Whiplash than Korn did that year because they were both nominees and Motorhead won.

The best part of the Grammys this year was that Esperanza Spalding won Best New Artist over Justin Bieber. About time they got something right, she's awesome.

Also Pearl Jam has never won or been nominated for Best Metal Performance but they've won and been nominated lots of times for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Also Pearl Jam has never won or been nominated for Best Metal Performance but they've won and been nominated lots of times for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Yeah, it may have been an MTV awards or something else like that.

The whole Motorhead thing was odd.
Wasn't their cover of WHIPLASH for an ECW or WWF CD?

Sadly, it is nothing more than a squeeky wheel in the academy going, "Oh, hey, look, Motorhead is still around. Let's give them the nod, it will be a hoot to see Lemmy here"

What I would want to know is how they choose what song to nominate.
Was that Megadeth tune from the Guitar Hero thing a top download or something?

I wish it was this easy but I doubt that Motorhead sold more copies of their cover of Whiplash than Korn did that year because they were both nominees and Motorhead won.

Well, what I meant to say was that they don't base the nominees on actual talent OR the music. They base the nominees on sales figures.

Iron Maiden deserved a grammy way back in the "Powerslave" "Somewhere In Time" era. 25 years late, so fuck you Grammys!

Absolutely. Ditto, a thousand times yes.

Unfortunately the Grammys were too busy having a Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins/Michael Jackson homofest at that time to bother listening to some really well produced, thought provoking music that was a little too aggressive for immediate translation to MUSAK.

That pretty much sums it up right there, it's such a shame too because this is the most prestigious award in the music industry. You'd figure they would put a bit more effort into their categories.

Didn't Lady Gaga win like... 5 awards?

That says enough about how much a Grammy is worth.

I don't normally keep up with the Grammys, but I thought it was actually cool that a virtually unknown jazz bassist/singer beat Justin Bieber and Arcade Fire beat Lady Gaga for Best Newcomer/Best Album of the Year.

The metal/hard rock category seems to have always been lolworthy, though.