Is Progressive metal evolving or dying???

ForeverProg

Aug 30, 2013
Does anyone else out there enjoy traditional progressive metal? ie. (Madsword, Perihellium, Arkhe, Poverty's No Crime, Vanden Plas, Divided Multitude, Tomorrow's Eve..etc..) It seems prog metal is going the route of refined riffs and more melody OR heavier technical with clean and death vocals. While I in fact enjoy these styles it seems good old school prog metal is disappearing. I find myself reaching for my older cd's more than ever. I understand genres evolve but it seems this style is sadly becoming extinct. On this note I will be spinning old Italian prog metal masterpiece (to me anyhow) MYSTERE DE NOTRE DAME! Anyone care to weigh in on this?

ALSO, When I see Pearl Jam or UFO threads on this board getting attention it further saddens me. (this is by NO MEANS a shot at "metman" just an observation.

There are plenty of classics from that period but revisiting some of them makes me cringe. Bad production, impossibly heavy accents. From time to time I pull one off the shelf. Its rare I can make it all the way through.

While this forum is specifically set up to discuss matters relating to Laser's Edge bands and business, I'm more than happy to see a dialogue about music - regardless of genres. I find it odd if someone wants to discuss Pearl Jam or UFO here but they are welcome to do so.

What is considered old?

I'm still listening to Opeth's Still Life and Pain of Salvation's TPE which are both over 10 years since they came out.

Also, Are Zeuhl types bands considered Progmetal?

What is considered old?

I'm still listening to Opeth's Still Life and Pain of Salvation's TPE which are both over 10 years since they came out.

Also, Are Zeuhl types bands considered Progmetal?

Old is in the ear of the listener.

Opeth and PoS have aged pretty well.

Zeuhl is not metal. Zeuhl has more of a relationship to rock and jazz.

Old would depend on when and how you were drawn in to the genre. I clearly remember after Dream Theater released "Images and Words" there was a total invasion of bands (especially from Italy) that came out "in tribute" to this album such as, Empty Tremor, Arkhe, Madsword, Zen, Scenerio, Helreid, Mystere De Notre Dame, Pyramid, Regency, Dreamscape, even Vanden Plas "The God Thing" was compared to "I&W" to name a few. I agree with Ken that there were some heavy accents and rough productions but I still appreciated what they were doing. I still play a bunch of these to this day. As far as Sensory Records releases that the newer/younger prog fans missed out on but hopefully Ken can dig up are: Clockwork, Nemesis, Avalon, Behind The Curtain, Divided Multitude "Inner Self", Avalon "Eurasia", Spiral Architect, Twisted Into Form, and Spi-Ritual!

I'm no expert as I my tastes lean more towards progressive rock and fusion (although I do own about 600 prog metal cds), but my guess is that the "Old School Progressive Metal" formula has been played out and progressive metal bands are looking for new ground to distinguish themselves from the crowd. When I'm in the mood, I do like old school prog metal, but many of the bands that you mentioned I've never heard.

I'm no expert as I my tastes lean more towards progressive rock and fusion (although I do own about 600 prog metal cds), but my guess is that the "Old School Progressive Metal" formula has been played out and progressive metal bands are looking for new ground to distinguish themselves from the crowd. When I'm in the mood, I do like old school prog metal, but many of the bands that you mentioned I've never heard.

I agree 100%..as much as I love traditional prog metal, and believe it or not their are still bands doing it, I feel newer prog metal bands want to be "current" and accessible while being prog. Also the term progressive is not defined by playing long instrumental passages and having 20 plus minute songs anymore, though I do enjoy sinking my teeth into it..now I am in the mood to go into the HOURGLASS catalog! :worship:

Thankfully bands like Leprous and Diablo Swing Orchestra are evolving progmetal and the write up on Ihsan sounds like it is also....

When will there be a new DSO?

I think in todays day and age of releasing music, there just isn't many bands that will release a full length full on progressive classic that harkens back to the earlier era. Sales/ illegal downloads, for whatever reason there just isn't many classic cd's coming out anymore. There seems to be an anchor hanging around the necks of bands that are Dream Theater clones ala Zen, Arkhe, Empty Tremor, etc...
The only band doing that genre with massive success would be Circus Maximus IMHO. Many of the new progressive bands are evolving the genre

Of course there's evolution going on in progressive metal. New bands are always coming along and putting their own slant on it, which means today we can enjoy a more diverse body of sounds and styles. I do enjoy some of the 'classic' prog metal, but I also like to branch out into new territory, as lately I've been getting into more djent/tech/avant-garde bands like TesseracT, Protest the Hero, and Diablo Swing Orchestra.