progressive or power?

JosephAcevedo

Jul 31, 2005
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
I know most of you will like both genre's the same. I figure i make this post out of curiousity.

I do happen to meet alot fans that prefer or will take Progressive over power metal.

I happen to meet alot of poeple who like bands such as Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Dreamscape, Spiral Architect, ect..ect.. and totally dislike bands like Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, ect...

Then there are bands who combine both genre's like Symhpony X, Angra, Secret Sphere, ect..

I'm personally more of power fan mainly for the speed, energy, and it's aggression where as progressive ( don't get me wrong i like prog too ) is not nearly as focused on speed or being as heavy. that just my opinion though.

I'm a pretty big fan of stuff from all metal genres (yes, even nu- and -core). I'd have to say that doom and thrash are probably my favorites, though.

I see prog and power as being about equal in my mind... both genres have a FEW pioneers who set the bar, a FEW great standout artists who push the envelope, a whole mess of good clones (who I like for my reasons, and my reasons alone ;) ), and a whole mess of forgettable artists (who put me to sleep).

Here is Henning Pauly's vote:

HENNING PAULY - "Power Metal Bores Me To Death"
2005-10-15 07:17:54

FRAMESHIFT mastermind Henning Pauly recently responded at his official website to a fan's suggestion he work with former HELLOWEEN frontman Michael Kiske, who has claimed he's trying to distance himself from metal:

Pauly: "I don't know what Michael Kiske sounds like...a comment like 'I don't wanna do metal because God told me' rules him out pretty much immediately, 'cause I don't wanna work with morons. Believing in God is cool, (collaborator) Matt (Cash) does and so do many people around me, but being an idiot about it is another matter.

I personally can't stand power metal. KAMELOT...whatever the bands are called...that stuff bores me to death. It is so full of metal cliches. If I sound like that it would be my biggest goal to get away from it. This is not the music I want to listen to or make, I have heard too much of it.

I like a good groove, and hammering 16th notes on a kick drum does NOT groove."
For the record, I think Henning is a dumb ass. Although the Album he did with Sebastin rocked. Okay....my vote is...........PROG. I like power too, but I would call myself more of a Prog guy.

Power. I tolerate Prog for the most part, and every now and then a band makes me sit up and take notice. I'd rather headbang to the thunder of Power than stare at ceiling, arms crossed, thinking "Man, that's deep."

i like them both, at first i was really into Power, but then i heard some progressive bands and really loved it. If given a choice right now i am in progressive mind set, but i still like power, and still listen to it and always will.

If it's good music, it's good music. I am far more likely to warm up to a power band than a progressive band, but that's just my taste.

JosephAcevedo said:
I know most of you will like both genre's the same. I figure i make this post out of curiousity.

I do happen to meet alot fans that prefer or will take Progressive over power metal.

I happen to meet alot of poeple who like bands such as Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Dreamscape, Spiral Architect, ect..ect.. and totally dislike bands like Rhapsody, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, ect...

Then there are bands who combine both genre's like Symhpony X, Angra, Secret Sphere, ect..

I'm personally more of power fan mainly for the speed, energy, and it's aggression where as progressive ( don't get me wrong i like prog too ) is not nearly as focused on speed or being as heavy. that just my opinion though.

I'm definitly a power metal guy. I love bands like Edguy, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Helloween, HammerFall, Primal Fear etc. The bands you mentioned above, Rhapsody, Sonata Artica and to a lesser degree Stratovarius I'd place in the combination of both power and prog catagory. That's also where I'd place Kamelot, unlike the guy above - I don't have a problem if someone just doesnt like Kamelot but to say you dont like them because they're a power metal band is ridiculous!

I grew up on '80's rock/metal like Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Savatage, Queensryche, Dokken, Scorpions, Metallica etc. and power metal seems like what that genre would have evolved into if grunge hadnt ruined music in the US during the '90's. There's nothing I like better than a good song with a nice hook, killer guitar riff and a catchy chorus that I can sing along with in my car!

I enjoy a lot of melodic rock bands like Pink Cream 69, Axel Rudi Pell, Cornerstone, Gotthard, Jaded Heart etc. too.

I do like some prog and really like watching prog bands play live. I do have a couple CD's from Dream Theater and thanks to Prog Power broadening my horizons a bit I now own CD's from Nightwish, Evergrey, Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Conception and Circus Maximus. I REALLY like the Circus Maximus CD and thougt they were fantastic live! The only prog act that I really couldnt get into was Pain of Salvation. In all fairness that might have been due to the unbelievable performance that proceeded it by Brainstorm and the killer set by Edguy that followed.

I like both. Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Then again, I listen to all sorts of shit that ranges/crosses boundaries.

For example:
Manticora - Definately power metal, but technical enough at times to be considered prog.
Biomechanical - Absolutely technical, but also could be considered a harder genre like metalcore
Children of Bodom - Technical? Yes. Some say they're a power metal band with death metal vocals. I can see that.
Trivium - Metalcore, but too damn good to just be metalcore. Definately a band that transcends genres. Old school thrash, speed, death, power (at times), Just damn impressive.

I love it when bands sound like an amalgam of all their influences, yet retain enough to sound like themselves. Best example I can give is Shadows Fall's The War Within. When listening to that album, I constantly say to myself "There's an Iommi riff", "There's a Hetfield riff", "There's a Slayer Riff", "There's an Iron Maiden riff". But yet, when listening to the songs, they're distinctively Shadows Fall riffs. I dunno if you can understand what I mean.

Andy Laudano said:
I grew up on '80's rock/metal like Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Savatage, Queensryche, Dokken, Scorpions, Metallica etc. and power metal seems like what that genre would have evolved into if grunge hadnt ruined music in the US during the '90's.

That's why I love power metal. Iron Maiden was the first band that I ever truly loved, and I got into Dio, Helloween, and similar bands as well. I later got into Queen, and I think that had a strong influence on why I like power metal as well.

I have no love lost for the majority of grunge bands, but I don't think that they ruined music - I think that mainstream music outlets like corporate rock radio and MTV did. If bands like Nirvana and the like were able to exist in their own vaccum as "alternative rock," I don't think I would care one way or another. The unfortunate thing is that some pinheads in suits decided to push that style to the exclusion of anything else. Boy, the mainstream entertainment of the 1990's sucked. :puke:

Historically more of a progmetal fan here, but a lot of bands I like realllly straddle the line between prog and power, like Angra and Symphony X. Aside from Andre Matos (oddly enough), I have a VERY low tolerance for high-pitched male singers, which rules out a lot of stuff right away.

Nowadays, though, I'm more likely to be listening to, say, Old Man's Child*, Dead Can Dance or Celldweller than Joe Average Prog- or Powermetal band. As Ruthven pointed out, good music is good music. If I like it, I'll play it. Period.

----
* the forthcoming CD rules, BTW

Probably would have to lean towards Progressive over power. Though the bands I like most tend to combine both into their music.

I love almost all genres of Metal. Preferablly Heavy/Power/Prog.

But I guess I do tend to listen to the more traditional Heavy Metal, and most of all: POWER METAL, wether be Symphonic, traditional Power Metal, etc. Or, as I will say I LOOOVE "Filmscore Epic Hollywood Metal" :D The best!

I really love all kinds, Metal as a whole is great. There are great (Melodic)/Death and Thrash bands out there, GREAT Prog, some good Black Metal (that one not so much, for me), Speed, Doom, and what everyone refers to female fronted bands now as "goth metal" I guess?

For me, bands like The Scorpions, Ac/Dc, Accept, Judas Priest, Dio, Savatage, Mercyful Fate, IRON MAIDEN, Black Sabbath (with Ozzy, Dio and Tony Martin), Ozzy's solo stuff, all the 80's cock rock and hair metal, I love it!! But Power Metal really makes me so happy and uplifting for me. It's very hard to point to one genre when there are so many great bands in each.

I am a power metal fanatic!!! Most of my friends cant stand power metal, but it is what I listen to about 90% of the time. However, if I am hung over I like some prog or doom, I just dont feel like head banging at times like those. I really like cross over bands alot to such as Biomechanical (power/thrash), and Trivium (thrash/metalcore/power/speed).

Well I am in general a fan of all (actual) metal genre's. Be it death, black, power, prog, thrash, doom, goth, or whatever.

I think there are alot of killer bands in every genre of metal but i will admit I don't listen to alot of gothenburg/melodic/swedish style metal. Bands like In flames, Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, darkane, ect...ect... The only band I think i listen to in this genre that is interesting to me is older Soilwork and maybe a couple of others but thats it. It seems bands in this genre all use the same trademark harmonies of iron maiden. The way these bands use melodies/harmonies just doesn't do it for me. I prefer melodies more in power metal.

I can listen to almost anything from Angel Corpse, Evergrey, Dark Throne, Galloglass, Destruction, Savatage, Dissection, Thyrfing, Pyemia, testament, Dokken, Into eternity, Blaphemy, Deeds of flesh, Burzum, helloween, rhapsody, Hate eternal, exodus, sonata arctica, decrepit birth, blind gaurdian, krieg, edguy, Falkenbach, kreator, secret sphere, suffocation, revoltons, or anything else you can throw in between that!

I just like music with lots of energy that can fuel me with energy. The slower or not so heavy stuff i listen to when i'm feeling down .