Your kind of power metal?

JosephAcevedo

Jul 31, 2005
Las Vegas
www.myspace.com
ok... well i just like to make good discussion...

I'm personally more into power metal is agressive, fast, and heavy . Bands like(early) Running Wild, Helloween (1st album), (early) Blind Guardian, (early) Angeldust, (early) Rage/Avenger, (early) Gravedigger, Omen, Helstar, Primal Fear, Dungeon, Vicious Rumors, Attacker, Stormwitch, ect...

I also like the fairytale stuff too like Rhapsody, Galloglass, and the neoclassical like stratovarius, sonata artica, ect....

It's just for me I like more Power metal that has ALOT of power and energy! thats just my opinion.

what style of power metal you prefer?

I'm into most of it really, the only stuff I'm not into is the "our true metal of steel is so strong and mighty that it should be the only lyrical subject for all music" bands such as Dream Evil and Manowar, although I've got nothing against them. My favorites are definitely the things more rooted in the speed metal tradition, with Helloween's Walls of Jericho being an all-time favorite.

I generally like melodic power metal but bands are quite hit and miss with me. I love Sonata but I'm not so crazy about Stratovarious. Enjoy Fairlyland, but I can pass on Rhapsody. Love Tobias's work on Avantasia but I can't get into Edguy. I love "mid" Blind Guardian. For this years PP, I'm getting into Firewind but I really haven't like anything I've heard from Virgin Steele.

Melodic or symphonic is great for me. But I also love folk-y power metal as well.

Favorite bands: HammerFall, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Edguy, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, etc...

Though some of those bands aren't necissarily "power metal." :p

I generally like melodic power metal but bands are quite hit and miss with me. I love Sonata but I'm not so crazy about Stratovarious. Enjoy Fairlyland, but I can pass on Rhapsody. Love Tobias's work on Avantasia but I can't get into Edguy. I love "mid" Blind Guardian. For this years PP, I'm getting into Firewind but I really haven't like anything I've heard from Virgin Steele.

That is exactly me almost. Everything is a hit or miss pretty much. While there's no denying some bands talent, there are some that I simply can't get into. Much like Jibrille said, I love Sonata but don't care for Stratovarius. I can't get into Rhapsody either. I love Firewind and dislike Virgin Steel. The only thing is that I do enjoy both Avantasia and Edguy.

Heavier/Dark Power Metal - Grave Digger, Symphorce, Brainstorm, Iced Earth, Black Abyss, Nevermore, Kiuas. Thats actually all of the ones I can think of. If they are any suggestions then that would be cool.

Heavier/Dark Power Metal - Grave Digger, Symphorce, Brainstorm, Iced Earth, Black Abyss, Nevermore, Kiuas. Thats actually all of the ones I can think of. If they are any suggestions then that would be cool.

I fall into that category as well (hate Grave Digger though) but I like Kamelot alot as they one of my favorite bands and I like Machine Men type power metal.

Melodic or symphonic is great for me. But I also love folk-y power metal as well.

Favorite bands: HammerFall, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Edguy, Falconer, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, etc...

You see to me those bands ARE power metal. How more straight up metal began to be called power metal I don't know. But to me Primal Fear, Iced Earth are just metal to me. Kamelot, Sonata, Strato, Edguy, BG,Falconer, Heavenly, Noctunal Rites, Heavenly, Dragonforce, Rhapsody etc, those are power metal with Helloween being the first....

NOT DIO or Judas Priest...

Without the ripping double/bass drumbeat it's not powermetal

But that's just me...:lol: :loco:

Double bass does not Power Metal make.

Strong with you, the force is. :lol:

Seriously though, I agree, but I think the point that was trying to be made is that it's not power metal without the ripping double bass, not that the presence of said double bass automatically qualifies the music as power metal.

Hmm I'm weird so it's easier to me to mention some bands I like and those I don't like and people can do the math.

I like

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Hammerfall
Sabaton
Wolf
Mesmerize
Azeroth
Wonderland
Forgotten Tales
Heavens Gate
Steel Prophet
Azrael
Avalanch (old)
Vhaldemar
Savage Circus
Luca Turilli
Freedom Call
Skyclad
Firewind
Manigance
Obstruction
Falconer
Dream Evil
Angra
Avantasia
Tuatha De Danann
Tyr
Force Of Evil
Creozoth
Crescent Shield
Nightwish (old)
Astral Doors
Wuthering Heights

I don't like (or care for now)

Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica
Skylark
Shadows Of Steel
Brainstorm
Symphorce
Metallium
Helstar
Cydonia
Stratovarius
Edguy
Steel Attack
Primal Fear
Grave Digger
Running Wild (except the first two albums)
Agent Steel
New Eden
Enertia
Premonition
Protoype
Destiny's End

I like it all, but I prefer Power Metal with crunch. HEED, Brainstorm, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Tarot, older Firewind.

Good call on Black Abyss. They may be the most overlooked band in Power Metal. Try Persuader, Savage Circus, and Dark Empire. Sabaton may also appeal to you, and if you can find their albums Black Destiny. I'll plug this band again as not enough people know about them... HEED!

If I was compliling a list of Power Metal bands it would begin exactly like your list. Which of those would you consider not to be Power Metal?

Seriously though, I agree, but I think the point that was trying to be made is that it's not power metal without the ripping double bass, not that the presence of said double bass automatically qualifies the music as power metal.

What I Meant, was just that. Just because bass there is double, doesn't power metal it make, but for me anyways, It requires it, Power Metal Does.:lol:

so what type of power metal don't you like?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wyvern, you like Luca Turilli, but you don't like Rhapsody? Do you like Luca's first album, because it's Rhapsody with a different singer. Unless, you just don't like the vocalist of Rhapsody, then I can understand. Otherwise ??? :)