Your kind of power metal?

I'm into most of it really, the only stuff I'm not into is the "our true metal of steel is so strong and mighty that it should be the only lyrical subject for all music" bands such as Dream Evil and Manowar, although I've got nothing against them.

Seconded.

I really enjoy the slightly heavier end of the power genre, namely bands like Rage, mid to early Blind Guardian, Persuader and Manticora. Also, the flowery bands like Rhapsody don't really do anything for me.

Strong with you, the force is. :lol:

Seriously though, I agree, but I think the point that was trying to be made is that it's not power metal without the ripping double bass, not that the presence of said double bass automatically qualifies the music as power metal.

Pfft, logic. :p

But I guess I can see that.

@Magius: I would consider Rhapsody more symphonic metal (I refuse to call them "hollywood metal." PAH!), and Falconer more folk metal. However, I realize people love to quibble over what qualifies a band A for genre X, so ultimately, I don't think it really matters what I consider them, because there will always be SOMEONE who will disagree with me. que sera sera... :loco:

For the most part, I'm more into what I call "dark power metal"... as opposed to the more popular Euro "happy-metal" stuff, like the Helloween and Stratovarius clones. My favorite power metal tends to run along the lines of stuff like Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, and the like.

I do like some of the "happy metal" as well.

so what type of power metal don't you like?

I'm not into that whole ManOwar "true as steel" shit! i mean it can be cool but it gets anoying fast!

As far as power metal that sings about dragons, princess's, castle's, elves, ect.. Only bands i like are Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, and Galloglass. Thy Majesty and Fairyland are annoying though. I also don't care for the lyrics very much at all.

If fact the Relapse records online catalog said this about Rhapsody

" The second album of symphonic epic hollywood metal. These guys don't get a tour bus because they all fly to shows on dragons. Don't try to heckle them when they're playing or the dragons will eat you. 10 songs of magic elf-core. "

LOL hollywood metal? I rather call this genre "ELF-CORE" myself!

Also i wouldn't like any Dragonforce clones if any!

Like i said I prefer the style of extreme german power metal like Running Wild, Rage, (early) Blind Guardian, (early) Gravedigger, (early) Angeldust!

That is power metal with BALLZ in my opinion unlike the "wizard/dragon" or "true as steel" shit!

I like it all, but I prefer Power Metal with crunch. HEED, Brainstorm, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Tarot, older Firewind.

Good call on Black Abyss. They may be the most overlooked band in Power Metal. Try Persuader, Savage Circus, and Dark Empire. Sabaton may also appeal to you, and if you can find their albums Black Destiny. I'll plug this band again as not enough people know about them... HEED!

Actually Maguis I have albums from all three of those bands but didnt think of them at the time.

JosephAcevedo said:
If fact the Relapse records online catalog said this about Rhapsody

" The second album of symphonic epic hollywood metal. These guys don't get a tour bus because they all fly to shows on dragons. Don't try to heckle them when they're playing or the dragons will eat you. 10 songs of magic elf-core. "

LOL hollywood metal? I rather call this genre "ELF-CORE" myself!

IMO any type of music that involves the syllable "core" SUCKS! I would not consider Rhapsody any kind of "core," elf or otherwise. (Yes, I understand it was a joke. :lol: :zombie: ) I would probably consider them to be more along the lines of epic, symphonic power metal. But I do like them ... don't really care for Manowar though.

I also don't think that power metal requires double bass. Although I'll agree it may add a nice agressive, powerful element to the music, all power metal does not have double bass. You can have a very driving heavy, powerful song without the drummer tap dancing. (Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against double bass in general.)

I also don't see how anyone can say that Dio is not power metal. Dio is one of the biggest origins of power metal IMO. I mean the guy has a killer voice, incredibly strong songs and most of them have the themes that you generally find in power metal (medival style themes and such). Judas Priest, the themes aren't there, so I'll agree on that one.

Power metal is probably my favorite kind of metal, but I guess I gravitate more towards a mixture of melodic, heavy, epic and progressive power metal. Some of my favorite power metal bands include:
Dio
Edguy
Sonata Arctica
Brainstorm
Helloween
Blind Guardian
Savage Circus
Warlock/Doro
Benedictum
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Wuthering Heights
Rhapsody
Primal Fear
Running Wild
Freedom Call
Firewind
Angra
:headbang:

In my opinion, all of the bands mentioned in this thread are power metal bands. They may incorporate different elements into their music, but their sound is rooted in power metal. In fact, if you really look at it, they're mostly derivatives of traditional metal. That said, I'm more into bands like Jag Panzer, Steel Prophet, Silent Force, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Rage, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Symphorce, and Stratovarius. These are bands who, in my opinion, stand out from the cookie-cutter stuff that plagues Europe with obligatory dungeons and dragons lyrics.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I love power metal when it has high range vocals, if gritty vocals, there must be soft or clean singing to balance it out. Must be full of energy, heavily melodic, double bass is great, having progessive elements is an extra plus! Seems like Melodic Metal, Progressve Power metal, and Power Metal seem to go together or blend in someways. Rhapsody of Fires Epic Score Metal I LOVED on the one before this last album when they created the genre..but I dont know if thats strictly power metal anymore than Epica or Nightwish are. The thing I think is sadly missing in some music is the elegance, classiness, or sophistication that comes with a type of clean vocals, keyboards, and or classical/world/other influences in some music. I think that really can really elevate the music above the other forms of metal.

I like:

Angra (older line up, though I like the new line up minus the latest album)
Shamaan (though I don't know if its power metal)
Aquaria
Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire (until the latest album that seems mostly just score)
Nightwish (Don't know if this would qualify as power)
Epica (ditto)
Helloween (old particularily with Kiske)
Sea of Dreams (progressive christian power metal)
Darkmoor (I don't know if its power)
Pyramaze (Progressive Power)
Circus Maximus
Luca Turilli
Into Eternity
Thy Majestie
Within Temptation (power metal?)
Animasola
Lightmare
Dragonforce
Derdian
Kamelot
Silent Moon
Cellador
Sonata Artica

ok... well i just like to make good discussion...

what style of power metal you prefer?

Metal Church's "Blessing in Disguise" is the powermetasl release all others are compared to even to this day. It has some progressive elements, some thrash elements to it and is quite merlodic as well. Bands that give me that vibe are Angel Dust (RIP) Breed era Tad Morose, etc.

Bryant

I used to nut over anything fast and with sugary melodies. Now I can hardly stand Power Metal. Well let me rephrase that. Hardly any bands coming out in the past few years in the Power Metal realm have been worth a shit. When I need a Power Metal fix I go for the classics.

For me, Power Metal is about the vocalist first and foremost. My favorite Power Metal bands, without exception, feature my favorite vocalists; Iced Earth, Pyramaze, Tad Morose, Kamelot, etc. The music should be well played, aggressive and dark. The lyrics should be well written. The band shouldn't sound like everyone else.

Zod