It's Done

Harvester said:
Correct. However, you have to wonder what would have happened if Evergrey had decided not to do the impromptu signing session after their set that night.

Glenn H.

I agree - what if Evergrey had shown some respect for one of the best Power metal bands ever...

I'll be going to my 4th PP in a row, and so far Rage has been my favorite of all the bands I've seen. Obviously, I am more of a Power fan than a Prog fan, but I consider myself relatively open-minded, and some of the Prog bands have blown me away! Although, I admit that I still can't get into POS (sorry, Glenn! :) )

Overall, I really don't have any complaints as I like the fact that I can see many different styles of music at PP. My only request - rename the festival to POWERProg!!! :D

I was with ya until this last paragraph, brutha. While the CM disc is well done, great production/playing etc., there is not one thing original about them. That is my problem with their album. To really make an impact, they are going to have to bring more of themselves to the next cd, or be labled as just another DT clone.

I believe that 90% of what makes a band good is melody. And Circus Maximus can write melodies better than just about any prog band out there.

Helloween, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, are headliner caliber that have not been to PP. Primal Fear maybe?

Hammerfall isn't worth a headliner slot anymore, although I don't know the business end of it that well, and I might be wrong. From what Glenn said in a past interview, Rhapsody ain't gonna happen due to cost. Helloween and Primal Fear I'm not sure about, you might be right about those. I do know that personally I'd have little interest in either of them headlining. In Helloween's case, I don't like the Andi Deris stuff at all.

13ShadesofGray said:
Okay... here's my stab, and dammit, I can dream can't I? hehe

Fates Warning
Redemption
(I know.. I'm sick in the head, but it could work)
Dead Soul Tribe: with special guests Norm Leggio, Brian McAlpin and Dan Rock (meaning PsychoticWaltz reunion as the blow your mind event)
Pantommind
Silent Force
(or DC solo)
SunCaged
Lana Lane
Last Crack
Zero Hour
Persephone's Dream
(I said I could dream, didn't I?)
WIN.

adaher said:
I was with ya until this last paragraph, brutha. While the CM disc is well done, great production/playing etc., there is not one thing original about them. That is my problem with their album. To really make an impact, they are going to have to bring more of themselves to the next cd, or be labled as just another DT clone.

I believe that 90% of what makes a band good is melody. And Circus Maximus can write melodies better than just about any prog band out there.

Well.....that's kind of a given for me. If a band can't write good, original melodies, then they're generally not a band I'm going to listen to depending on the context. But just because a band can write great melodies doesn't mean they're an amazing band. It's just one part of the equation.

Okay everyone has weighted in with their wants and desires, so i thought i would throw mine in also. But i did add a pre-party selection.

Pre-Party
FORGOTEEN TALES
ELSESPHERE
ATMOSHERE

Fri
CLOUDSCAPE
PYRAMAZE
LANFEAR
ROYAL HUNT
SONATA ARCTICA

Sat
OUTWORLD
EDENBRIDGE(w/DC Cooper)
NOCTURAL RITES
FREEDOM CALL
MASTERPLAN

I can't see Freedom Call getting ANYTHING bigger than a #3 slot. Sorry, they're simply too overrated, absolutely nothing special. =\

I wouldn't mind seeing Masterplan though.

'd definitely like to see:

Persuader
Andromeda
Nocturnal Rites
Masterplan
Gamma Ray

Pyramaze
Adagio
Dragonforce
Iron Savior
Symphony X

MajorRager said:

Persuader
Andromeda
Nocturnal Rites
Masterplan
Gamma Ray

Pyramaze
Adagio
Dragonforce
Iron Savior
Symphony X

I think it's SOMEWHAT realistic. Correct me if I'm wrong

For the record, I tried to watch Nightwish, but left after about 30 seconds. I just cannot get into that band, Tarja in particular.

I still think the reception for Rage had to do with two things: the sound, which was far too loud and distorted, and the fact that I really do think the audience was drained of their energy by the one-two punch of Circle II Circle and Evergrey. Those two bands put on amazing shows, and I really think the crowd was worn out at that point, and only the diehard Rage fans stuck around for more than a few songs. I happen to love Rage and would like to see them again someday...

dt

Too top heavy on power metal, dude.

I'd say you'd have to ditch Iron Savior and Nocturnal Rites and replace them with fairly high profile prog bands. Perhaps Evergrey to replace Iron Savior and Pagan's Mind to replace Nocturnal Rites.

Id like to see the following bands.....

TWILIGHTNING (Power)
CLOUDSCAPE (Prog)
NOCTURNAL RITES (Power)
JORN LANDE (With Ark, Masterplan,, solo material, or Allen/Lande)
PAGAN'S MIND (Return band Power/Prog)
ANNIHILATOR (Oddball band considering its mostly thrash)
MACHINE MEN (Traditional Metal)
KHALLICE (Awesome Brazilian Prog Metal)
VISION DIVINE (Power/Prog)

MajorRager said:

Persuader
Andromeda
Nocturnal Rites
Masterplan
Gamma Ray

Pyramaze
Adagio
Dragonforce
Iron Savior
Symphony X
I think it's realistic. I doubt Glenn would rush to have Adagio back so soon, but other than that, I'd say your slotting is realistic. Maybe swap out Adagio for Zero Hour or Redemption, and I think you've got a fair show. Though, I'm not sure how much more Redemption will cost, with Ray as a fulltime member. They may need a #3 slot now.

Zod

adaher said:
Too top heavy on power metal, dude.

I'd say you'd have to ditch Iron Savior and Nocturnal Rites and replace them with fairly high profile prog bands. Perhaps Evergrey to replace Iron Savior and Pagan's Mind to replace Nocturnal Rites.

Now that I look at it, I think you're right about it being power metal top heavy

edgeofthorns said:
How could anyone leave during Nightwish is beyond me!

Sorry...not a fan of the whole female-fronted-operatic-goth-metal vibe thing...

Not being sexist, just don't care for it. I watched the first few songs of their set (and I thought they were great)...went to get a beer...buy some CDs...and came back for the last song or two. Great band live...just wasn't a fan.

That being said, my buddy Rakosh totally turned me on to the last Nightwish album. Their sound and style on that album is something I can get my ears around.

Would I see them again...at this point...yes!

Rock on!

I am totally with you... :)
Just not my thing...

ashaman7122 said:
Sorry...not a fan of the whole female-fronted-operatic-goth-metal vibe thing...

Not being sexist, just don't care for it. I watched the first few songs of their set (and I thought they were great)...went to get a beer...buy some CDs...and came back for the last song or two. Great band live...just wasn't a fan.

That being said, my buddy Rakosh totally turned me on to the last Nightwish album. Their sound and style on that album is something I can get my ears around.

Would I see them again...at this point...yes!

Rock on!

I'd much rather have Atrox in terms of bands with female vocalists. Or for more of the "operatic" sound which has become so cliche, then Tristania.

I am not familiar with Atrox.... I only like one female vocal band really and that is Thors Hammer... I think they are not the cliche sound like everyone is doing now...
Don't really like the beauty and the beast thing either... everyone has been trying that it seems...