Jeff Scott Soto Confirmed for ProgPower USA XVI

YESSS !!!

Glenn, you never cease to amaze me. You are ON IT, man !

I recognize the name because I pay attention to Blabbermouth and this forum, but I am honestly not too familiar with his body of work. I remain a bit ambivalent, in the same way I was when Jorn was announced. I know that lots of people dig him. But I don't know if I have time to gain an appreciation for his work to be super engaged in his set.

I do know who he is, so I'm happy for the people who are excited. I'd pay full price for a ticket for Falconer and Anathema, so the rest is a bonus. I'll watch from the back until I decide if I'm digging it. Otherwise, I'll hang in the lobby like I did for Pain of Salvation.

I understand. We all know what we know. Some people simply aren't old enough to remember Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force's first releases. Having said that, Yngwie might be the last guitar "hero" that truly changed the way guitar was played. He more or less created a sub-genre of metal, called neo-classical. It didn't exist before him. Without Yngwie, we may very well not have Symphony X and countless other bands.
The tenure with Yngwie is far from Jeff's only accomplishment, as he also sang for Journey, Talisman etc. but I stress his tenure with Yngwie simply because of the impact that band had on metal music. It is truly significant.

Let me stop you right there. JSS can play for 10 hours straight and not repeat a song. He does it all, not just his career. However, this set is a continuation of his 30th anniversary shows from last year in Europe.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-scott-soto/2014/kubana-live-club-siegburg-germany-4bc04fce.html

That said, I can understand someone that wears corpse paint on stage not digging him. :D

Yeah I was really looking forward to ML. I thought they could easily be the darling of the show. However, I think JSS brings some incredible diversity to this show. Being an old fart, I would love to hear more of the Yngwie stuff, but I am excited for this. I think it is going to go over well Glenn.

I understand. We all know what we know. Some people simply aren't old enough to remember Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force's first releases. Having said that, Yngwie might be the last guitar "hero" that truly changed the way guitar was played. He more or less created a sub-genre of metal, called neo-classical. It didn't exist before him. Without Yngwie, we may very well not have Symphony X and countless other bands.
The tenure with Yngwie is far from Jeff's only accomplishment, as he also sang for Journey, Talisman etc. but I stress his tenure with Yngwie simply because of the impact that band had on metal music. It is truly significant.

Yes and no about Yngwie....he was/is incredibly influential, but let's be honest, he basically took what Ritchie Blackmore was doing and pushed it to a ridiculous degree. Kinda like Jimi Hendrix...he was pretty much doing what Buddy Guy was doing at the time but a lot louder with much more distortion.

Back to JSS....man, I wish I had a ticket just to see Soto. I got the chance to see him with Journey, but to see him solo would be awesome. He's got such an incredible catalog of music....any of it would be great to witness live.

I'm seriously regretting not getting tickets to this show. Adding Saxon and Armored Saint, then Evergrey and now Jeff Scott Soto. What a great talent. I absolutely loved the work he did with Takara though I doubt he'd cover anything with his discography he has to choose from. Couple of my favorite tunes.

Last edited by a moderator: