KIUAS, NOVEMBERS DOOM, PERZONAL WAR: First Announced Bands for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
Finland’s up-and-coming KIUAS, Chicago’s very own metal veterans NOVEMBERS DOOM, and Germany’s PERZONAL WAR are among the first bands to be announced for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009 (Main Event). Rounding out some of the other support slots will be Sweden’s ASSAILANT, Germany’s SHEEPHEAD, and Chicago’s MINDWARP CHAMBER.

The 7th edition of the Chicago Powerfest will take place at the Pearl Room in Mokena, Illinois on May 7-9, 2009. Also, as previously announced, the PAGANFEST USA: Part 2 tour will be making a stop on the first night (May 7) of this year’s Powerfest to kick it off again with some amazing Pagan metal!!

Current POWERFEST Lineup:

Thursday, May 7 (PAGANFEST)

KORPIKLAANI
ELUVEITIE
PRIMORDIAL
MOONSORROW
BLACKGUARD
SWASHBUCKLE

Friday/Saturday, May 8-9

NOVEMBERS DOOM
KIUAS
PERZONAL WAR
ASSAILANT
SHEEPHEAD
MINDWARP CHAMBER

The remaining bands, which also include both headliners and both direct supports, will be announced shortly and as they become confirmed. Ticket information will also be made available very soon. Please be patient…as you will NOT be disappointed!!

Once again, tickets will be available for individual days as well as 2-day ticket combos, CRJ Productions, organizers/promoters of the event, will also continue with its official fan sponsorship/VIP program this year…intended to give fans a higher level of participation in the fest and a chance to take advantage of some cool perks.

For more information regarding Powerfest or the VIP program, please visit www.ChicagoPowerfest.com and www.myspace.com/chicagopowerfest (Myspace updated later today)

Congrats on the announcement.

Not familiar with any of them personally, aside from ND of course.

Which Assailant from Sweden? There are two.

Good pick on Mindwarp Chamber.
They are getting a lot more recognition as of late.

Rob thanks for posting the info!

I will admit that I haven't heard of these bands before, but I'm listening to clips on their myspace pages and I am pleasantly surprised :)

I can't wait for the next wave of bands to be announced. :headbang:

So a question for Paul & Larry...

I suspect the announcement of Devildriver & Soil will have a dramatic impact on the make up of the crowd. From poking around other forums, it looks like a fair amount of folks who are ND fans are now bailing, simply because they don't want to spend an evening with windmilling/cartwheeling/roundhousing douche bags. Consequently, can you see yourselves altering your set? I certainly don't mean to tell you your business. However, if I was in your shoes, I'd definitely be going out there with a set very heavy on ass kickers like "Voice of Failure" and "Rain", over equally great songs like "Autumn Reflection". Just curious.

Zod

So a question for Paul & Larry...

I suspect the announcement of Devildriver & Soil will have a dramatic impact on the make up of the crowd. From poking around other forums, it looks like a fair amount of folks who are ND fans are now bailing, simply because they don't want to spend an evening with windmilling/cartwheeling/roundhousing douche bags. Consequently, can you see yourselves altering your set? I certainly don't mean to tell you your business. However, if I was in your shoes, I'd definitely be going out there with a set very heavy on ass kickers like "Voice of Failure" and "Rain", over equally great songs like "Autumn Reflection". Just curious.

Zod

We've had discussions about us no fitting in to this fest now, for sure. BUT, we like the idea of having to win over new fans as well. Our set will not be tailored for anyone. We will kick the same amount of ass as we normally do, and the set list we're working out now is ALL power with only one song on the "mellow" side. PLUS, if things go as planned, the fans that DO come to see us, will be treated with 2 brand new songs from the up coming CD, live for the first time.

I also want to bring this up too, for the out-of-towners.....

I've been to quite a few Soil shows and Devildriver shows when they've come through town, and honestly I have NOT seen alot of those so-called windmilling/roundhousing/cartwheeling-douchebags at their shows here. You might get a handful of them in the pit perhaps, but honestly there's not alot of that here. Alot of the people I see at Soil/Devildriver shows (especially the latter) are the same people I see at At The Gates, Arch Enemy and Behemoth shows here, believe it or not. Obviously there are some Soil/Devildriver fans who would never like that stuff, but I don't think it's going to be quite as dramatically separate as people are assuming it will be. Devildriver has toured with Opeth on a couple of occasions now, and we're not THAT far of a stretch from them (actually I think we're more aggressive and perhaps a bit easier for the average Devildriver fan to appreciate if they give us the chance!) I can tell you that the new songs we're thinking about playing at that show are NOT "tender ballad" type songs, haha. I'm hoping to incite a bit of movement in the pit, we'll see.

Plus, for those fans of bands like Soil who might not be totally down with the "cookie monster stuff", we've got songs like "Autumn Reflection" that are still heavy but with a good sense of melody that might be to their liking. So who knows? It's a challenge to be sure but it's better than just playing once again to the same few dozen people every time we play here (not that we mind playing for those folks as well).

My only personal disappointment was that I was praying to see a band like Forbidden or Zimmers Hole or a band like My Dying Bride or Anathema on the bill, as it would be amazing to see and play with those bands on a cool fest. Maybe next year?

I am sure Soil and DD were not in their initial plans, especially since it has been a month since the previous announcement.

I can understand Rob and Chris wanting to broaden the fanbase for the fest.

I think the main issue here though is that the average DevilDriver fan could not care less that this show is part of something called Chicago Powerfest.
If next year's fest is headlined by Morbid Angel and My Dying Bride, for example, they will not be there to "support".

On the flipside, this will be good for Novembers Doom, in that they will be playing for a crowd made up largely of folks who have never seen or heard them before.
Whether or not these are the types of fans who will go out and buy their music is another story.

Devildriver has toured with Opeth on a couple of occasions now, and we're not THAT far of a stretch from them (actually I think we're more aggressive and perhaps a bit easier for the average Devildriver fan to appreciate if they give us the chance!)

You know, I was thinking precisely the same thing last night. Though, as far as the craziness goes, I did see that tour in Milwaukee and witnessed the largest circle pit I have ever seen in the States during Devildriver. Now, maybe it's WI folks or whatever, but in any case, it didn't detract from the success of the show at all. I personally like Devildriver and am excited about all of the bands on the fest this year.

Zimmers Hole
:headbang: