KIUAS, NOVEMBERS DOOM, PERZONAL WAR: First Announced Bands for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

Right, I can understand that. I think the people that you'd call the "target Powerfest crowd" aren't necessarily most Devildriver fans. Obviously alot of people will be coming to see them and Soil and not necessarily care about the other bands on the bill. All you can hope for is that people are pleasantly surprised by what they see and hear. Unfortunately I think the European fans tend to be far more open-minded to that sort of thing and willing to check out stuff that they've never heard of.

I don't think it's totally fair to judge people though in assuming that these fans of the headliners wouldn't necessarily like ND or buy our music. I get mail all the time from people from all over the world and all over the U.S. of all ages and backgrounds, and many of them are fans of stuff like Devildriver or Soil as well as us. Especially alot of the female fans tend to be a bit more diverse in their tastes. And having more female fans is never, ever, ever a bad thing, lol.

I think the real key to success with fests like this is balance. Having a good balance of different types of music there, and enough names that will draw interest from various fans. The time we played Powerfest in 2007 was a good example of this- Atheist, Martyr, Saturnus, Solitune Aeturnus, Lethal, Novembers Doom, etc. That's an interesting balance of bands and a really good melting pot of styles. Last year's Powerfest I think was the same good balance, and the inclusion of the Paganfest really helped too. So we'll see if this year's fest can capture that same balance.

Yeah Rach, I've seen a couple of good pits at Devildriver shows but not the kind of retarded, kung-fu bullshit like I think occurs at other shows in other cities. Maybe it's a midwest or Chicago thing but the pits here usually stay pretty well contained and not too ridiculous.

I think the problem with Devildriver is the stigma attached to them. Hell man being totally honest here, I know so many people who'd made up their minds that they were gonna hate that band just because a guy from Coal Chamber was in it.

Man I'd have loved if Zimmers Hole played, I was so disappointed when they had to drop off the Sigh bill. Just a really entertaining band and awesome dudes as well. I think they could've fit well onto Powerfest.

Well Lar Val aparently *almost* has his legal shit cleared up so Zimmers may be able to hit the states sometime this year.

I hear ya Lar. There was no high kicking or anything, more like the running of the bulls! :lol:

What's funny is that I checked out Devildriver because it was Dez from Coal Chamber. Guess your theory about females being more open might be true!

But yeah, I totally agree with the fact that it's a great opportunity for you guys to play for a large crowd here and gain some new fans. The fact that we get to hear some new tunes is just an added bonus! :)

I too was completely heart-broken that ZH had to drop off Sigh. They were the big reason I was going, though Sigh really impressed me live. Shame there was like 30 people there when they took the stage. :Smug:

If we all keep putting the bug in their ears, perhaps ZH for Powerfest could be a reality. That would definitely rawk.

I certainly hope some of the DD fans appreciate ND and seek out your discs.
That would be cool.

As others have mentioned here and on other forums, the main issue with this shift is the loss of some of Powerfest's core audience.
Seems like a lot of folks, esp out of towners, are on the fence.

I certainly hope some of the DD fans appreciate ND and seek out your discs.
That would be cool.

As others have mentioned here and on other forums, the main issue with this shift is the loss of some of Powerfest's core audience.
Seems like a lot of folks, esp out of towners, are on the fence.

Where I understand this COMPLETELY, they need to understand Rob and Chris, that they are not here to please the regulars, they are trying to build the fest. The regulars are pissed, and saying "This line up sucks" where Rob and Chris are seeing it a big step in building the fests draw.

I know who the headliners are for Saturday night, and I'm pretty certain that the people who dislike the Friday night headliners will not be too happy with Saturday either, BUT the headliner is a draw. Anyone regulars on the fence for Saturday will more then likely fall off for this year, and if this turns out to be Powefest's best year yet, you may see more of the same in the future from them, and why not? People are free to put on their OWN fest, and invite anyone they want to. :)

We've had discussions about us no fitting in to this fest now, for sure. BUT, we like the idea of having to win over new fans as well. Our set will not be tailored for anyone. We will kick the same amount of ass as we normally do, and the set list we're working out now is ALL power with only one song on the "mellow" side. PLUS, if things go as planned, the fans that DO come to see us, will be treated with 2 brand new songs from the up coming CD, live for the first time.
Thanks for the response.

I also want to bring this up too, for the out-of-towners.....

I've been to quite a few Soil shows and Devildriver shows when they've come through town, and honestly I have NOT seen alot of those so-called windmilling/roundhousing/cartwheeling-douchebags at their shows here.
Never been to Chicago. My comments were based on a generalization, based on what I've witnessed at NYC/NJ/Philly shows.

Plus, for those fans of bands like Soil who might not be totally down with the "cookie monster stuff", we've got songs like "Autumn Reflection" that are still heavy but with a good sense of melody that might be to their liking. So who knows? It's a challenge to be sure but it's better than just playing once again to the same few dozen people every time we play here (not that we mind playing for those folks as well).
True. Again, I hope you guys (and I'm sure you will) slay.

Zod

Oh yeah I've been to some of the fests and shows in the NJ/Philly/NY/Boston area and the pits there are quite different. I remember being in the balcony at New England M&HC fest a few years back and just looking down at the craziness happening on the main floor. I'm not down with that shit at all. A good old fashioned mosh pit is one thing but people doing out of control karate moves and people just plain and simply trying to beat the shit out of each other isn't my idea of ideal concert fun. The Chicago crowds are generally much better behaved even when getting "crazy".

However if you were at a Slayer show at the Aragon ballroom back in 1987, you might beg to differ LOL

Where I understand this COMPLETELY, they need to understand Rob and Chris, that they are not here to please the regulars, they are trying to build the fest. The regulars are pissed, and saying "This line up sucks" where Rob and Chris are seeing it a big step in building the fests draw.

I know who the headliners are for Saturday night, and I'm pretty certain that the people who dislike the Friday night headliners will not be too happy with Saturday either, BUT the headliner is a draw. Anyone regulars on the fence for Saturday will more then likely fall off for this year, and if this turns out to be Powefest's best year yet, you may see more of the same in the future from them, and why not? People are free to put on their OWN fest, and invite anyone they want to. :)

Well, to me, Powerfest's charm was that they brought bands to Chicago (and the US in general) that otherwise would not have had the chance.

(IE - Morgana Lefay, Nocturnal Rites, Eldrich, Biomechanical, Tad Marose, Saturnus, etc, etc, etc........)

That was the attraction.
That's what made a lot of people supporters of the fest.

I guess I just don't see the point in booking bands who tour regularly.
Not much of a "wow" factor there from a festival point of view.

From a growth perspective, it will bring more people in the door.
Though, just like last year, people were there for Iced Earth and Testament, not because it was "Chicago Powerfest"

This is what I think is being lost with their new direction.

It would be completely awesome if a DevilDriver fan comes to the festival, digs the other bands, and then puts Powerfest into their annual plan. I think though for that to happen, Rob and Chris will have to continually book those types of bands.

Just like a few years back.......
Have Tad Marose one year, and then Lefay and Noc Rites the next.
That drew attention.

I have nothing but respect for everything they do.
I think though, now more than ever, with SO many underground metal tours occuring weekly in every city, a festival needs to have some sort of niche.

Yeah. The Karate Action Ken school of Metal appreciation really made the Palladium shitty for awhile there. I remember one NEMHF a guy was sitting on the steps catching his breath when a kid flew out of the pit, punched him in the face, then ran into the security of a six-strong posse when the victim rose to defend himself. Last time I was there though there wasn't any of that dancing going down. Admittedly it was Samael, Virgin Black, and Amorphis but that didn't used to make any difference and the opener was some odd Metalcore act. Who knows? Maybe shit petered out with the change in security teams. That big hairy blonde guy they used to use almost cartwheeled into me once at a show up in Haverhill.

I think there is a pretty good variety of styles on the bill this year, it's just that the bands who are headlining aren't as varied stylistically as in the past. They do have cool underground bands on the bill but they're not bigger more well known names like Biomechanical or Saturnus or Morgana Lefay or Atheist, etc.

I don't think most people totally mind the headliners one night being Soil and Devildriver, to offer some variety and a potential new kind of Powerfest fan to arise. But people are holding out to see if Saturday offers something more "traditionally Powerfest" as headliners before they totally make a judgement call.

This whole thing puzzles me. In this day and age...a promoter can see who and what people want to hear. 100% of their forum who are very dedicated people to the fest and have been going from years is a good way to figure out which direction you should go. Not that you should listen to people on the internet but with this tool, anyone who does something that you would like instant feedback from can get it now in this day and age. I can see what this decision was made, sure it will definetly make money for them for next year but with the bands that were picked...you also risk posibility of ruining your name and credability within the metal scene. Just like bands who break it kind of big and jump on any lame ass tour and then lose thier true fans for fans who wont stay long with them till the next trend hits. Then that same band is stuck in limbo fan wise....they lost thier true fans or kind of shit on them and the new fans are already into the next flavor of the month...this is what this year feels like. It almost seems that they are like..."see who we can get". Just that no one is really impressed. Last year the two headliners really impressed me. They were going in the right direction headliner wise. the metalcore stuff was a huge mistake....as anyone there could tell with the amount of heckling.

I have seen on a couple of forums that there are less people coming in from out of town this year. It has now just become just 2 nights of shows and not really a festival. The people who are coming for the headliners are just coming to see them...they are not going to even know who is local, who each band is or who came from over seas....most of the bands playing dont even have CD's that are easy to get a hold of. The people who listen to bands liek Soil and Devildriver are not your types who hunt down new bands or search stuff out online...they are the MTV Headbanger Ball types. They are the ones who need to be told who is good. I have seen this stuff for 20 years now. I just think in the short run, this will help them financially for next year....but in the long run, you just cut off anyone who is a real fan of metal and kind of tossed sand in thier face. It is also highly doubtful that most of the people will even show up till closer to Devildriver and Soil. Kind of like what happend a few years back when Thurisaz played. There was like 50 people there it seems. I recall even hearing Paul say "this band came from overseas and no one is here...what the fuck!" It will unfortunatly be the same this year, not as bad but those 50 people there who were there for Thurisaz were there watching or at least knew who they were. No it will be maybe a few hundred early on not really caring who is playing until the headliners are on. hopefully I am wrong but having been going to shows for a long time now....it is highly doubtful.

It is too bad that the choice has been made...it could have been a super cool week for metal fans....Opeth / Enslaved...then Pagan fest 2....now DevilDriver....not what I call a great end. While there are still some good bands playing...but not enough to really make people rush there...plus with Templars of Doom, Queensryche, and Nightwish all that weekend too. I think the competition could really hurt them now. Oh well...there is always next year.

sure, them booking bands like Soil and Devildriver will ruin their "reputation" for this year... until next year if they decide to go back to getting bands that "we" want to see. if they decide to continue getting these OzzFest-demographic bands for next year, then we could start freaking out. look on the bright side, it'll give you the excuse to do something else this year... or even possibly don't spend money that weekend. i know that i'll be there for reasons other than watching the fest, so *shrugs*

I see your point. I already plan on just going to Pagan Fest 2. I have little to zero interest now. I would love to see Nov Doom play agian but I work nights and it would mean me taking off a day of work just to see them. If there was one other worthwhile act...I would in a heard beat. I really want to go to the fest but so far the friday headliners really turn me off. Even most of the people who I look forward to seeing and hanging out with are not even going. Last year we had a huge group from the Powerfest forum all hanging out all day saturday and we hung out friday night after the show for a few hours and it was great. This year all those people are changing thier minds from going. which is a bummer actually. As much as I goof on them and stuff...I do wait each year to see who they get for the fest...I have gone for the past 3 years too. I just cant support some bad descisions this year.

on the money side of things...I can never have a weekend without spending money. Christ...I buy like 4 to 5 CD's a week at Metal Haven. I wish I was able to buy time.