lets explore our musical tastes

rhavin2112

Lost to Apathy
Feb 26, 2002
Knoxville, TN
www.appropriateapocalypse.com
list five cd's that are playing nonstop in you cd player. Explain why you like them.....

1-Vanden Plas-Beyond Daylight I had always written this band off as DT clones(and their no-show at pp2.0 did'nt help my opinion of them) but I was intrigued by the good reviews for this release and took a chance. Yes I still think that they are similar to DT, but they are not obessed with showing us their technical ability, and they play with more feeling. And those harmonies!! King;s X would be proud.

2-Dimmu Borgir-Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia I would'nt call these guys black metal(and the constant verbal beating these guys take from the TRUE black metal legions is pathetic). This is one of the best thrash albums released in the last few years. And that drumming, it will make you dizzy.

3-Enslaved-Monumension Brutal black metal, seventies stoner rock, atmosphereic Floydian landscapes and more are melded inthis melting pot of musical expression. These guys are true progressive metal heroes forging a path of originality.(man I should write reviews for a living:lol: )

4-Nightwish-box set I took a chance on these guys(and girl) when I spotted this box set at the End Records. Although not as complex as some of their peers in the epic power metal department, they have a good sound. Its like if Enya were backed by a less technical Malmsteen, this is what it would sound like.

5-Katagory V-Present Day Nostalgic, but not retro. I am reminded on No Exit era Fates Warning. These guys have talent, and I get the feeling that this is just the tip of iceburg. These guys are the next big thing...I can feel it.

so now it's your turn......

1. BLind Guardian-A Night At The Opera I had gotten a preview copy from Century Media and was skeptical that they'd be able to top Nightfall or Middle Earth but those releases pale in comparison to this work. All the work and time the band spent in the studio payed off handsomely.

2. Therion-Secret of The Runes I'd heard bits and pieces of Theli and Deggial and Vovin but when I got Secrets I was but blown away. Theli had great songs but not the majestic choirs. Vovin has some great choir arrangements but the songs seemed to lack the good song writing. Secrets combined the best of all three and is one of the best releases Therion has done yet and one of Nuclear Blast best releases.

3. Balance of Power-Perfect Balance It's been a long time since I've gotten into a melodic prog power metal band and Lance's latest release is easily one of the best of it's genre. Shelter Me is a fantastic song but you could easily make a case for any of the first seven songs.

4. Rush-A Show of Hands I've always been a huge Rush fan since the early days and though a lot of people didn't like the experimental period of Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows I thought the music was great. This live release not only captures a lot of music from that era but brings back memories of seeing them live in concert in what is still one of the best single performances I have ever witnessed.

Tie 5. Stranglehold-Elemental Man it was tough to choose a 5th one but I had to include this because it's hands down one of the best Power Metal CD I have ever gotten from an unsigned band. Their style could best be described as classic power metal with Iron Maiden, Steel Prophet influences. From Total Eclipse, Descretion to Different Faces it's a stellar performance. (Sentinal Steel has this available in the US at www.sentinelsteel.com )

Tie. 5 Bride Adorned-The Grey Emimence Until I got this, Stanglehold was my favorite unsigned band. Bride Adorned quite simply could become the heir to the throne of the symphonic power metal field. Think of Rhapsody with a majestic choir and full rich sound and Bride Adorned are very similar. Their 4 song release sounded incredible for demo. (there's actually samples of their music at http://www.hit.fi/~mpmuston/bridead/brideadorned.html )

Angra - Rebirth
Gamma Ray - No World Order
Threshold - Hypothetical
Evergrey - Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
Wolverine - A Window Purpose
Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera
Angel Dust - Human Bondage

GZ

Therion -Vovin great music asked about them online and had to try them out.
Trans Siberian Orchastra=Betoveen's last Symphony -Love this cd was talking to a guy in a store who had on a Witchery shirt and asked him about a power metal band that was similiar to Symphony X he refered TSO so gave them a shot,glad I did

Symphony X -V - I saw this cd in a music store and heard that they were awsome,so I bought it and cant stop playing it.

L.A. GUNS -the whole catalog ,since they are coming to town I am getting warmed up for the show

Dokken- Greatest Hits -see above

Currently spinning

PoS - Remedy Lane. Not sure I can say its the best PoS (Still don't have Entropia)- but it is the most accessible by far. I liked it almost straight away, which I couldn't say for either OHBTCL or PE.

Saviour Machine - Live in Deutschland. Getting in the mood to see these guys live ... in Deutschland in a couple of weeks time.

Autograph - StoneLand. Some Russian pop-prog from the 80s. Neat 80's HR with Russian lyrics. Playing it, cos I have to write a review of it for DPRP. Not sure I'd be listening to it otherwise.

Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace. Trying to write a review of Beyond Daylight and wanted to make some comparisons with FoG - so, since I haven't spun this one in many months, I thought I'd better do so.

Andromeda - Extension of The Wish (Extended edition). Saw these guys a few weeks ago with Evergrey in Paris. They rocked and it fired me with the enthusiasm to buy this. Didn't rate the disk too highly when it came out in 2001, but for the last couple of weeks, its been the disk I've spinned the most.

Mp3-wise, been listening to some files from the In Flames website and some Vanden Plas bootlegs - downloaded from the US official site - http://www.faroffgrace.com/ - not sure I can really count Vanden Plas amongst my favourite bands anymore :-(.

Madder Mortem - All Flesh is Grass
Agnete M. Kirkevaag is probably my favorite female vocalist at this point, Ten Times Defeat and The Cluster Children are stuck in my melon.

Conception - Flow
Not sure. That Roy Khan guy is pretty good.

Chiaroscuro - Brilliant Pools of Darkness
These guys should be a contender for one of the remaining slots, and they're from the US.

Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories
I saw them just recently, very friendly and Cristina is incredible. Their live show is fantastic.

Sabbat - History of a Time to Come
Just feeling a little nostalgic.

Sabbat - History of a Time to Come
Just feeling a little nostalgic.

Now THAT's a classic CD I haven't drug out in a while.

If I had to find some other discs or albums I'd also have to include

Kreator-Pleasure to Kill
Iron Angel-Hellish Crossfire
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Voi Vod-Dimension Hatross
Shooting Star-Greatest Hits

Well...if I were to go by what I recently bought in the last week:

Destruction - All Hell Breaks Loose
Pure Classic Thrash the way it was meant to be!!!! this brings back memories from the days of old....these guys havn't missed a beat in their near 10 year hiatus.

Andromeda - Extension of a Wish
This is a very unique album...I personally enjoy the insturmental parts the most...

Edguy - The Mandrake & Theater of Salvation
GOOD GOD!!! i am so pissed off i havn't discovered these guys earlier!!! both CD's are my first introduction to this band and they are totally ripping my head off!!!
the only thing I have ever heard about these guys was christina's crack "so...who IS THIS Ed guy???" LOL!!!

Praying Mantis - Predator in Desiguse & Cry for the World
Very Excellent AOR style metal...both CD's have some really catchy melodies. I find it interesting Dennis Stratton (ex-Iron Maiden) is the "main Guy" in this group...it sure is a far cry from Maiden.

Virgin Steele - Hyms to Victory
not much to say here seeing how it's pretty much a "best of.." type CD. Being a HUGE Virgin Steele fan for years now....I had to picj this up.

Vanden PLas - Beyond Daylight
.....haven't spun this yet.....but if it anyhting like the last album, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Angel Dust - of human bondage
I'm spinning this for the first time right now.......so far?
It rocks!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Dustin