MegadetH Pledgemusic campaign...

Wait, I'm agreeing with Jason. Can I change my answer?

Lol -

I don't know man. LONG before the whole "oh the climate of the industry has changed. People buy less physical product, blah, blah, blah" thousands of bands had no issue self releasing their music.

What has changed to me is the meaning of the terms DIY

You know your band needs to record and wants to put something out??
Be smarter!! Play shows / clubs that you know pay.
Or - just like you do with your personal life.... Save!!!
Pool your $$$$ together.

I agree 100% that it's up to the fan to choose and if a band can take advantage of that then more power to them.

But I also see that a lot of that $$$ ends up being used for the promised "extras" that have nothing to do with the real project at hand.

I know many here will NOT agree with me and that is fine.

I am NOT slamming anyone personally or any band who has used it.
I know there are some who post here who do.

Alternately, use the tools at your disposal to shortcut the drudgy monotony of playing 200 shit paying gigs before you can release some material to the masses.

Casually ignoring???
I am speaking of small metal bands.
What does a game developer have to do with it?

Because it shows a level of understanding and openmindness of allowing and respecting creators' financial needs in one scene and a complete tone deafness, head in the sand mentality in another scene.

It just doesn't make sense to me, these bands - even a band of Megadeth's size isn't getting that much out of these campaigns, yet every time it happens all the internet metal dorks show up on boards in droves to cry about how it shouldn't be happening. Bands are losing money all the time and people are actually suggesting that they continue to lose MORE money? If people want to give them money and fund their album early then let them. It's mind boggling to me - and I HATE Dave/Megadeth.

Also fyi - I don't entirely disagree with your point of view either, just the general scorched earth mentality towards crowd funding that a lot of metal fans have.

Because it shows a level of understanding and openmindness of allowing and respecting creators' financial needs in one scene and a complete tone deafness, head in the sand mentality in another scene.

2 cents from someone who doesn't care about video games or Megadeth:

In the case of video game crowdfunding, the level of understanding you're referring to works both ways. Fans "understand the creator's financial needs"....and the creator also demonstrates an understanding of the gamers' entertainment wants.

In the famous case of Tim Schafer asking for half a million and rapidly receiving more than three million, he specified in his pitch the kind of game he wanted to make. He described something that 1) would appeal to gamers' nostalgia and, 2) that was not being offered by bigger game companies. That means his backers had a reasonable expectation - before deciding to fund him - that they would LIKE the game he was about to make.

Megadeth, on the other hand, have given no indication (and they don't have to) that they are using fans' money to make the kind of album that everyone wants: a return to the style of RIP or even CTE. Instead it's pretty obvious he just wants money to make yet another clunker album just like the last few.

The last decade of Dave continually releasing the same wishy-washy junk despite the lukewarm response and/or chorus of disapproval that greets each one has inevitably resulted in the widespread perception that he doesn't care what sound fans want from Megadeth. Not in the way that Tim Schafer cares about what gamers want from him. Instead, it just looks like Dave only cares about what HE wants from US: our money in exchange for sub-par album after sub-par album.

2 cents from someone who doesn't care about video games or Megadeth:

In the case of video game crowdfunding, the level of understanding you're referring to works both ways. Fans "understand the creator's financial needs"....and the creator also demonstrates an understanding of the gamers' entertainment wants.

In the famous case of Tim Schafer asking for half a million and rapidly receiving more than three million, he specified in his pitch the kind of game he wanted to make. He described something that 1) would appeal to gamers' nostalgia and, 2) that was not being offered by bigger game companies. That means his backers had a reasonable expectation - before deciding to fund him - that they would LIKE the game he was about to make.

Megadeth, on the other hand, have given no indication (and they don't have to) that they are using fans' money to make the kind of album that everyone wants: a return to the style of RIP or even CTE. Instead it's pretty obvious he just wants money to make yet another clunker album just like the last few.

The last decade of Dave continually releasing the same wishy-washy junk despite the lukewarm response and/or chorus of disapproval that greets each one has inevitably resulted in the widespread perception that he doesn't care what sound fans want from Megadeth. Not in the way that Tim Schafer cares about what gamers want from him. Instead, it just looks like Dave only cares about what HE wants from US: our money in exchange for sub-par album after sub-par album.

Very good points. I don't disagree, and again, I think Megadeth sucks and that Dave is a piece of garbage.

*snip*
The last decade of Dave continually releasing the same wishy-washy junk despite the lukewarm response and/or chorus of disapproval that greets each one has inevitably resulted in the widespread perception that he doesn't care what sound fans want from Megadeth.
*snip*

The reason why I wouldn't crowd fund anything from Megadeth. I might end up buying after I hear some tunes, but not before. Not based on the last few discs.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the hate towards crowd funding. Maybe I have my head in the sand? My feeling is that's it might be the next step to help bands to get their music out there to the masses.

The reason why I wouldn't crowd fund anything from Megadeth. I might end up buying after I hear some tunes, but not before. Not based on the last few discs.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the hate towards crowd funding. Maybe I have my head in the sand? My feeling is that's it might be the next step to help bands to get their music out there to the masses.

Based on my observations a lot of hate is derived from the lack of guarantee attached. Just because you pledged $100 doesn't mean they're going to deliver. People are suspicious that everything's a scam. There's also the "you paid them to make it, but they get all the money selling it," angle. Since we can't, yet, own shares of the things we crowdfund we can only provide angel funding with nothing other than a prepurchase to "guarantee" it.

There are other, similar, trains of thought.