Meshuggah Talks S*#% On Nightwish

I believe (we can't discuss this deeper in September :D) that you are generalizing a bit, look at: Warlock/Doro, Zed Yago, Znöwhite, Acid, Benedictum, Crystal Viper, Sister Sin, Stos or go extreme Holy Moses, Arch Enemy, Gallhammer. There are far from sound like pop female singers. Even bands like Girlschool, Rock Goddess, Volnaya Staya have vocals that are far from Tarja, Anneke, Sharon, Christina, etc.
Wyvern... whether you meant to or not, I believe you just supported my argument. You named a dozen female fronted bands, whose lead singers don't sound like Pop singers, and none of them are popular here in the U.S.

Ah, so he disagrees with the marketing, Zod?
LOL. I like how you chose the last word, of that entire post, to take issue with. And, you took it out of context. What I said was, "All in all, he's really only taking issue with their classification and marketing."

Note, I said "classification" before I said "marketing", thereby expressing its greater importance. The crux of my argument has been about their classification, and now you're attempting to construct a strawman argument based on the final word of my post?

Look... you think Nightwish is Metal. Fine. As I said, so do I. I merely said I can see why he or someone else wouldn't. If you can't see why someone might not view Nightwish as Metal, that's fine with me. We can agree to disagree.

Zod

It's not that I disagree with the idea of hating a band. The bands I hate, I got damn good reasons to. Trust me, I'm quite the elitist snob when it comes to my music as well.

But if you're a published musician, earning a living off your music, you SHOULD be a little humble or at least polite about your fellow label mates.

Then again, he can go ahead and follow in Phil Anselmo's trash talking ways, I don't care.

I've got a great way to settle this. Annette vs. the Meshuggah dude in a no holds barred fight in the Octagon. If Annette kicks his ass, that proves that Nightwish is more metal than Meshuggah.

BTW, I forgot to ask. Who the heck is Meshuggah?

This was a fun read.....though the original statement is worthless at best....a rant at worst.

The rock tree really diverts into way too many subs with too many taking it all too seriously.
This is really not about Metal as a genre but sub-sub-sub-genres taken as THE metal genre

Main Genre: Rock
Sub Genre: Metal
Past that go where you may, but it's all metal, like it or not.

With that, both bands are metal to varying degrees/sub-genres.
Neither band could legitimately be categorized out of the main metal genre...like them or not.

Nothing wrong with a pop flavored metal band...
...nor a "my dog can growl better than your lead singer" band.

You've got to be kidding me.

A few months ago, I though Meshuggah was some ghetto hiphop group (mistranslated ebonics, e.g. My Sugar).

To be fair, I've seen and heard many offensive/ridiculous tirades from industry pros/musicians. Hagström may not be that great with words or subtlety, but, you can tell he tried to scope his remarks to a single aspect of Nightwish. Give the dude some credit for trying to make a bold statement with some careful wording.

This is really not about Metal as a genre but sub-sub-sub-genres taken as THE metal genre...

Main Genre: Rock
Sub Genre: Metal
Does that mean Rock is merely a sub-genre of Blues, and Blues is merely a sub-genre of African Folk, and so on and so forth until everything is just a sub-genre of the first Neanderthal who rhythmically struck one rock against another?

While its lineage is traced back through Rock, Metal is a genre unto itself.

Zod

Does that mean Rock is merely a sub-genre of Blues, and Blues is merely a sub-genre of African Folk, and so on and so forth until everything is just a sub-genre of the first Neanderthal who rhythmically struck one rock against another?

Theoretically....yes....though even I would not buy into it.

While its lineage is traced back through Rock, Metal is a genre unto itself.

Debatable, but certainly not worth the time unless killing a few late nite beers. :)

Objectively, metal is what metalheads listen to. Nightwish headlined Progpower because Nightwish is metal. Nightwish album reviews show up on predominantly metal websites because Nightwish is metal. Nightwish is considered a good investment by Nuclear Blast Records because they make money for that metal record label. and Nightwish ends up at Wacken because Wacken is a METAL festival.

Now nothing you said about art being a matter of an individual's opinion is wrong, but I think most people would say that he could call Nightwish rap and that wouldn't really make much sense. Calling them pop makes only marginally more sense.
adaher wins

Who the heck is Meshuggah?
If I hadn't already known, just going by their name I would've guessed they were some Israeli/Jewish band :)

But if you're a published musician, earning a living off your music, you SHOULD be a little humble or at least polite about your fellow label mates.

I actually thought he showed some restraint with his comments. They could've been worse. He never said their music sucked and he didn't even mention the fact that their "pop / metal" singer cried on stage.

Hold tight folks, there's been a new development in this story...

http://www.bravewords.com/news/109220

MESHUGGAH guitarist Mårten Hagström has offered the following corrections to the interview conducted by MetalSucks.net in New York City on February 19th:

“All right... I never thought I'd do this, but the way things have turned out, I really feel I have to correct some things in the Metal Sucks interview I gave a while ago. These things happen every now and then, but the effects of this makes it imperative for me to set the record straight.

Some things in there are incorrect (for different reasons), and that in itself wouldn't be problem unless it didn't really mess things up for me and others, which it has. And even though I have no qualms speaking my mind, it should at least be correct.

First and most importantly: The part where Markus Staiger and Nuclear Blast is mentioned is incorrect. I never said those things and as you can imagine, it feels really weird to stab your label and Markus in the back without even doing it, so to speak.

Second: The whole "melodic-metal" discussion really took place, but the things I was hating on was Schlager-music (which was in there, but was spelled ‘Slaughter’ and the focus was turned to something entirely different) and talking about how that genre has seemingly crept over into some metal bands music in Europe (in my opinion) and that’s it.

The whole thing came out real weird and definitely skewed. The subject I was aiming for was left out and was replaced by something else which is very unfortunate.

And last, since I'm correcting errors, it says that I was praising a band called ADAGIO. I don't know who they are. I was talking about the French band GOJIRA. That’s that.

I've talked to Metal Sucks and they have been kind enough to correct these errors. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings there might be.”

Be sure to tune in next for, As The Metal World Turns :)