Need feedback on PP USA IX

I'm not sure how many bands you will have signed by this year's PP, but if it is over half, I would announce that THE VERY LAST THING AFTER THE ALL-STAR JAM. That would keep a lot of "meat in the seats"!!!!!!!!!

Chris :headbang:

I have to split for work in moments so I'm not gonna have the opportunity to read what others have written yet, so for this quick response, my apologies if I overlap anyone.

I think the whole idea of the 'exclusive' headliner is, unfortunately, not going to be able to survive. It is in large part DUE to the success of ProgPowerUSA that these bands are able now able to successfully tour the states though, and business/monetary stuff aside, wasn't that sort of the goal of this festival - to spread Prog/power metal to a wider and more diverse audience and establish it as a thriving genre in the states? No sense in fighting the fire you are fueling, I would think a more creative solution is in order here.

But I think in many ways Glenn, you've already started the process of the creative solution by strengthening the showcase, coming up with cool and unique ideas like the all star jam, etc. That way you can have a non-exclusive band have an EXCLUSIVE type performance.

So coming up with novel concepts for an individual performance, I think, is the key here. Whereas Gamma Ray performing as headliner has been done, Gamma Ray with a very special presentation of Somewhere Out in Space in its entirety is unique and motivating (of course the band/album named is purely for example, I'm not meaning to start a whole 'it would be better with Band X/Album X debate, at least for the time being, but you get the idea). For that sort of thing, however, I think ProgPower is the perfect forum - an established fest people are willing to travel to if something to their liking is going down. This would also give bands an opportunity to do something cool and unique and make it worth it to them (a one off concept album performance is not worth all the rehearsal unless it can be presented on a stage such as ProgPower provides).

The announcements are fun, but I think you are going to be stuck in a situation like you mentioned where booking and announcing probably around the time of the current fest itself will become a reality. In that sense, though, the only thing really hurting is the buzz on the forum... so maybe some creative events to keep the forum buzzing more frequently would help.

Yikes, getting late, peace!

Haha as much as Id love to see DREAM EVIL I cant see them being put on this fest. I hope I'm provin wrong!

Machine Men, Rob Rock, Nocturnal Rites, Tribuzy, Jaded Heart, Darkwater, Civilization One, Cloudscape, Nocturnal Rites, Mystic Prophecy, Leverage, Brother Firetribe, Heart Of Sun, Galloglass....hell so many bands I would love to see!

I don't see an issue Glenn. Wacken does it, ProgPower UK did it (I think?).

You'll sell out next year regardless of when you announce. Your/the festival's fan base does a lot of promotion for you throughout the year prior to ticket sales ad when tickets go on sale.

Yeah, I like how Wacken starts to announce it almost before the last person leaves the fest ground from this year plus it is cool that they let the people who had tickets to the current year get first dibs at next year's tickets before it goes onsale to the public.

anyways back on topic, I like the idea about hearing it at the fest.

Yeah, I like how Wacken starts to announce it almost before the last person leaves the fest ground from this year plus it is cool that they let the people who had tickets to the current year get first dibs at next year's tickets before it goes onsale to the public.

anyways back on topic, I like the idea about hearing it at the fest.

Hell, in the past, Wacken has announced bands for the next Wacken before the "current" (one going on that year) has even started.

All Star Jam Will be enjoyable to a point. I'm afraid I won't know all of the songs chosen and that may lose me.
Although I trust Glenn's instincts, at first glance, I'm not sure how those six songs, between '73 and '79, will work. About 35% of the crowd figures to be unfamiliar with them. If I had my choice, it would have been exclusively from the 80s.

Zod

Although I trust Glenn's instincts, at first glance, I'm not sure how those six songs, between '73 and '79, will work. About 35% of the crowd figures to be unfamiliar with them. If I had my choice, it would have been exclusively from the 80s.

Zod

Hey, as long as one of those songs is Dancing Queen, I'm all good. :Smug:

it doesn't matter when they are announced. A good show is a good show.

To me, the only real drawback is that the risk of cancellations and lineup changes goes WAY up the farther back you announce. I guess it's not something you can help, but you may have to put in a disclosure "card subject to change".

I mean, 12 months out, half the bands are likely to experience lineup changes in a good year. In a bad year, there could be more than one breakup.

Agreed...

Zod

Trust me. Those 35% will enjoy the hell out of not only the song, but the other 65% going apeshit over it.

If the main question is: 'Should I announce next year's lineup right after this years show?', then I would say absolutely yes. Because as you said, a good lineup will sell regardless of what time it will be announced. You aren't really dealing with little kids as your ticketbase, so the emotional part (probably) shouldn't play much of a role if you are destroying anyones freetime activities of trying to guess who the next band announced will be.

For me, it wouldn't have mattered when this years two day was announced for as soon as I saw who was playing, I wasn't interested. That's just me.

I think at this point in the Fest's life, the die-hards will come no matter who is announced or when they're announced.
Second that.

As far as sponsorship goes, I just wish my personal economics would allow me to place a bid. Hopefully in one or two years...

As for the business at hand, whoever mentioned the point about the "die-hards," I definitely feel that I fit into that category and I'm going to come regardless of who is booked, when it is booked, when it is announced or when the festival is. ProgPower has exposed me to bands I might now otherwise have ever heard of or seen live, so I am coming no matter what ...

unless you book SLIPKNOT ... then I'm not coming. :lol:

-Nathan
Proud founder of NathanFest

Ditto on all this stuff. The Brother of True Metal hath spoken the truth. I look forward to the fest no matter who is booked (as I don't get a chance to see most of these bands anyway) - and the whole scene. If you announce early, it certainly doesn't remove much in the way of excitement for me. Yes, it can be fun (or is that torturous) to wait for the announcements - and try to solve your cryptic clues - but either way - I'm there. Do whatever makes the most sense for you financially, and maybe lessen your workload - so you have more time to actually enjoy some of the madness, and enjoy life in the meantime.

Jeff

I really enjoy the guessing game every year, it's fun, but like some others to me PP has become my vacation,my own world, my quality time, it's an awesome feeling to be part of the festival every year!!, this will be my 4th and i will keep coming back every year if i don't die of course, so Glenn keep up the incredible work to keep us happy!!!!