Serenity Cancels PP USA IX Appearance

I just like metal in general, Death, Doom, Prog, Power, Thrash, etc.... Not hard to please me :)

On the contrary, it seems like an equal number from each "camp" whine every year. Like whoever said above, each "side" is going to use whatever to bolster their argument that's there's not enough of one and too much of the other.

Eh, I think the power metal crowd was pretty happy from III-VI. Some of us got restless when the VII lineup was announced, VIII was pretty well balanced, I didn't see too much bitching last year. This year the progheads are ecstatic, and with good reason. This is their lineup.

Iron savior and Rob Rock are pretty cool, but I'm missing that big Euro power band at the top of the lineup that we usually get. That's what makes the festival for me. And I'm not a prog hater, I love Circus Maximus, Dreamscape, Pagan's Mind, Spheric Universe Experience, etc. I guess what I really don't like is dark music and the lineups have gotten a lot darker lately.

Hehe... no... you like plenty of power metal too... only whenever you like a power metal band, you just reclassify them as prog metal. :heh: :heh:

BTW, you are going to be at ProgPower this year, right? Skipping it again is unacceptable! :)

Funny boy... I don't reclassify them, I just put them where they're supposed to go. Not my fault if everyone else but me doesn't "get" it. :loco:

Seriously, I had great reasons to miss it last year if you haven't heard of my "adventures" in 2007. All is better this year so you'll have to bear with me my friend... :)

Cheers!

Steve

Funny boy... I don't reclassify them, I just put them where they're supposed to go. Not my fault if everyone else but me doesn't "get" it. :loco:

Seriously, I had great reasons to miss it last year if you haven't heard of my "adventures" in 2007. All is better this year so you'll have to bear with me my friend... :)

Yep... I've heard... I read PM Rising a fair bit, even though I somehow don't post that often. I'm glad that things finally got resolved for you, and you'll be able to make it to the fest this year. I mean, that 8x10 photo of you from last year was fun and all, but like you said, you can probably drink a lot more beer in person! :kickass: :kickass:

It seems some of the prog fans only care about themselves.

What a blanket statement! Excuse me for hoping for a band I actually like!!
Maybe this is why I rarely post...

Also, I don't think this line up is Prog heavy at all. There are 3.5 Prog bands, 3.5 Power bands (I'm splitting Pathosray), and 4 bands that don't fall into either category. And just because Thursday is not officially part of ProgPower, it is still part of the ProgPower experience. I was expecting (having already booked my flight and everything) for there to be a band or two on Thursday I wanted to see, and I know I'm not the only one. So what's the big deal about having one more Prog opener? But honestly I don't even care that much...

And to all you Power metal fans, you should watch what you say about us Prog fans... because from 1999 through around the beginning of 2006 I too was a huge Power metal fan (other than SymX and PM) ,and I too occasionally dissed on "Prog snobs" on the forum. But then one day I started getting bored with the power metal that I so dearly loved. It started slowly and unexpectedly (maybe it was all the double base drum or one too many formulaic songs... who knows), but before I knew it, I turned into a Prog fan! Now I have to eat a lot of the things I said and thought in the past, now I am skipping shows I never thought I'd skip, and now I like bands I never imagined I'd like. I also very much regret skipping or not paying attention to Prog bands at earlier ProgPowers that I would love to see now (esp. Ark, Threshold (with Mac), Conception, and Vanden Plas).

My point is that everyone's tastes are different, and people's tastes change... It could happen to you too. Power metal is fun; I still like some power metal ( I actually like some Serenity and Elvenking). Prog metal is intriguing, and I find more diversity in the genre and the song structures (which is what I'm in the mood for lately). Maybe my tastes will change again...who knows...
But anyway, watch what you say Power metal fans: because someday you could wake up and find yourself a Prog Snob!!!:lol:

Sorry for the long post... guess I finally had something to say...

Robin

jesus its ProgPower USA, not Prog Vs Power USA.

the whole power vs prog argument is really lame and childish, i dont think the line up should have to adhere to either "side".

the whole power vs prog argument is really lame and childish, i dont think the line up should have to adhere to either "side".

there is beauty and musicianship in both genres. a man who shreds his face off can be equaled by a man who creates an interesting passage or bridge in a tune. speed and/or emotion can be used to elicit a response from a metal fan

both are awesome genres :headbang:

Dude, depends on how you see the argument. To me, it's all in fun and as I said before, I sincerly hope nobody takes themseles too seriously on this subject. It's not like any life depends on this, it's just a way to chat amongst friends and discuss the music we all love.

Lighten up people... :loco:

Steve

What a blanket statement! Excuse me for hoping for a band I actually like!!
Maybe this is why I rarely post...

Also, I don't think this line up is Prog heavy at all. There are 3.5 Prog bands, 3.5 Power bands (I'm splitting Pathosray), and 4 bands that don't fall into either category. And just because Thursday is not officially part of ProgPower, it is still part of the ProgPower experience. I was expecting (having already booked my flight and everything) for there to be a band or two on Thursday I wanted to see, and I know I'm not the only one. So what's the big deal about having one more Prog opener? But honestly I don't even care that much...

And to all you Power metal fans, you should watch what you say about us Prog fans... because from 1999 through around the beginning of 2006 I too was a huge Power metal fan (other than SymX and PM) ,and I too occasionally dissed on "Prog snobs" on the forum. But then one day I started getting bored with the power metal that I so dearly loved. It started slowly and unexpectedly (maybe it was all the double base drum or one too many formulaic songs... who knows), but before I knew it, I turned into a Prog fan! Now I have to eat a lot of the things I said and thought in the past, now I am skipping shows I never thought I'd skip, and now I like bands I never imagined I'd like. I also very much regret skipping or not paying attention to Prog bands at earlier ProgPowers that I would love to see now (esp. Ark, Threshold (with Mac), Conception, and Vanden Plas).

My point is that everyone's tastes are different, and people's tastes change... It could happen to you too. Power metal is fun; I still like some power metal ( I actually like some Serenity and Elvenking). Prog metal is intriguing, and I find more diversity in the genre and the song structures (which is what I'm in the mood for lately). Maybe my tastes will change again...who knows...
But anyway, watch what you say Power metal fans: because someday you could wake up and find yourself a Prog Snob!!!:lol:

Sorry for the long post... guess I finally had something to say...

Robin
I like prog, too. I never said I didn't. Just calling it as I see it.

Power metal bores me to sleep...

...but Glenn always manages to pick bands that are extremely tolerable (high quality). I did pass out in my seat during Vision Divine though.

Dude, depends on how you see the argument. To me, it's all in fun and as I said before, I sincerly hope nobody takes themseles too seriously on this subject. It's not like any life depends on this, it's just a way to chat amongst friends and discuss the music we all love.

Lighten up people... :loco:

Steve

Absolutely. If it isn't for civil debate and discussion, what the hell is a forum for? I suppose some would have us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and embrace music we don't like. That would free up the forum for serious topics such as what color corset or kilt to wear, and leave the forum free of any "lame and childish" dialogue.:rolleyes:

...That would free up the forum for serious topics such as what color corset or kilt to wear, and leave the forum free of any "lame and childish" dialogue.:rolleyes:

but... but... I was going to let you pick out my kilt this year since I couldn't decide what to wear last year. :cry:

and the only good corset is a BLACK corset! :Spin:

Absolutely. If it isn't for civil debate and discussion, what the hell is a forum for? I suppose some would have us all hold hands and sing Kumbaya and embrace music we don't like. That would free up the forum for serious topics such as what color corset or kilt to wear, and leave the forum free of any "lame and childish" dialogue.:rolleyes:

speaking of which--what color kilt will you be wearing this year? Will it have special Pagan's Mind patches on it? :Smug: :lol:

j/k

Yeah over the years I've learned that I appreciate a lot of music more live than I do on CD and vice versa. Im just glad I get an opportunity to see bands that I normally wouldn't see in the states EVER. Prog, Power, Rockabilly, Thrash, I don't really give a rat's ass--ITS PROGPOWERUSA the best damn metal festival in the U.S. IMO. If you're a person that doesn't like a certain band, then go find a band you DO like in the vendor's area...or at least be respectful when expressing your dislikes.

This isn't going towards anyone in particular. its just a general message about the situation concerning people and their typical online "my opinion matters more because the bands I like are better than the bands you like" or "there is more of this kind of metal than that kind of metal and its unfair..." uh no..its called try again next year if you don't like the line-up already in place. :p