Would you still go to PP IX if...

I am quite excited by this line up as it stands. The headliners will only add to the quality.

I often wonder, though, am I in the extreme minority of PP attendees that goes to the festival specifically to watch all of the performances? I do very little socializing (who the hell wants to talk to me anyway?), and if I went there and didn't know another person at the show, I'd still come away entertained. Like I said, I think I'm in the minority here...

dt
You could do both, dude. I've generally watch 90 percent of the action, and also find plenty of time to socialize.

The key is to get your group to congregate out on the floor ... you chat it up before the band hits the stage, and then you rock out with your buddies once the band starts up.

Britt

I agree with the sentiment that's it is more of a family get together for me now (the crazy uncle- Glenn, the belevolent grandfather- J-Man, the creepy cousin- Hoyt). I'm not overly excited about any of the bands so far, but I'm not disappointed greatly either.

bwahahahahahahah..... Hoyt try not to molest any of the kids in the playroom during the holiday party.....

I am quite excited by this line up as it stands. The headliners will only add to the quality.

I often wonder, though, am I in the extreme minority of PP attendees that goes to the festival specifically to watch all of the performances? I do very little socializing (who the hell wants to talk to me anyway?), and if I went there and didn't know another person at the show, I'd still come away entertained. Like I said, I think I'm in the minority here...

dt

I'm in the same boat. I came from WNY for VII(not the farthest trip but still) and I didn't care about meeting alot of random people, I met teh roomies and a few guys I chatted with on the interweb and I watched every band. It's really weird imo that people buy tickets with not enjoying a majority of the fest because their friend(s) are going, sort of depressing imo

I would still go just to see Iron Savior and Elvenking :)

Headliners would be cool if they were Gamma Ray and Helloween since hopefully they will have a U.S Tour in the latter 2008 :)

Just Hoping :headbang: :kickass:

l only go for the bands. The "atmosphere", "experience"or whatever...appeals to me none. The headliners will help me make the decision on whether or not l stay all night or attend both nights. l will skip a night if the lineup is not strong enough even if a band l really like is on that night. l missed Threshold this year. So far, Andromeda, Astral Doors, Riverside, & S.U.E. should be enough to get me there. Now...if only l could get them all on the same night...

alot of people say "well im not excited about this band..." and so on, but it seems to me like every year i have been, there are *at least* 2 bands im only moderately excited about that blow me away!

this year those two were firewind and raintime.

i liked firewind but had no idea their show would be anywhere near that good, and i almost considered skipping out on raintime, but holy crap im glad i didnt

i think alot of people are forgetting about this factor when they buy their tickets.

thats just my opinion

Do you have any idea how rabid Riverside's fans are? Let me tell you...they're the same people that sell out Blackfield, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater shows all over the US on every tour.

You are out of your freaking mind. And that's just one band...

This is the STRONGEST lineup that Glenn has put together, I think...and that's before the headliners are announced.

evergrey has roughly 59k listeners on last.fm, and riverside has roughly 40k
and evergrey didnt sellout prog power 7

is this any indication? id think evergrey would have close to amount of pull that riverside has, but i guess i wouldnt put my name on it.

to base the selling out so strongly on one band isnt a very safe bet id say.

im not saying it wouldnt sell out, but i dont think you could just be so 100% super sure like that, given prog power 7s line up didnt sell it out.

i think the headliners are still needed to cement the process, many of my friends are waiting on the headliners before they decide to go this next year, obviously they arent the only ones with that in mind, you have got to think, the people that post here on the forums, they only count for a portion of the tickets. the rest of the tickets are in the hands of people who just take a glimpse at the roster and say hmmm. my friends are part of that group, and right now many of them are iffy, so obviously if they have that reaction, then other people do too. im sure the headliners will cement the sell out right now, but i wouldnt be any money either way, on the roster selling out as it is.

Well, I'm out this year unless I see a Running Wild, Pretty Maids or Tiamat added and that's just not going to happen as a headliner at this festival. I'm totally expecting some sort of Fates Warning Prog thing or the US showing of Gamma Ray/Helloween for headliners. Either way, that doesn't cut it for the money from my point of view and I'm not sure there is a situation that would even appeal to me at this point. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the "family" idea of the festival and I can't sit through all kinds of bullshit to get to a band or 2 I like. I'm just too impatient anymore and I'm too demanding about what I want to see personally. That's my problem and certainly not Glenn's but it is what it is for me. It's gotta "be there" for me and this one isn't even close.

I do wonder about actual attendance over the years. When it doesn't sell out it means limited reselling of tickets from people that couldn't end up going. As seen for this last year, there were a lot of people who bought but then couldn't go. But since it was a sellout many of them were able to resell their tickets. Either way I'm not complaining about a lineup =p Just curious...

evergrey has roughly 59k listeners on last.fm, and riverside has roughly 40k
and evergrey didnt sellout prog power 7

is this any indication? id think evergrey would have close to amount of pull that riverside has, but i guess i wouldnt put my name on it.

to base the selling out so strongly on one band isnt a very safe bet id say.

im not saying it wouldnt sell out, but i dont think you could just be so 100% super sure like that, given prog power 7s line up didnt sell it out.

i think the headliners are still needed to cement the process, many of my friends are waiting on the headliners before they decide to go this next year, obviously they arent the only ones with that in mind, you have got to think, the people that post here on the forums, they only count for a portion of the tickets. the rest of the tickets are in the hands of people who just take a glimpse at the roster and say hmmm. my friends are part of that group, and right now many of them are iffy, so obviously if they have that reaction, then other people do too. im sure the headliners will cement the sell out right now, but i wouldnt be any money either way, on the roster selling out as it is.

Evergrey had also been to ProgPower a couple of times before and you're splitting hairs over a handful of tickets. Also, just because more people listen, doesn't mean they have the same types of fans. There are not many bands out there that have a dedicated fanbase that spends money and travels...usually bands with older fans (which I guarantee Riverside has).

Evergrey had also been to ProgPower a couple of times before and you're splitting hairs over a handful of tickets. Also, just because more people listen, doesn't mean they have the same types of fans. There are plenty of bands out there that have a dedicated fanbase that spends money and travels...usually bands with older fans (which I guarantee Riverside has).

He left out the fact that they have almost the same number of tracks played, despite Evergrey having 50% more listeners. That should support the argument that Riverside fans are more obsessed/dedicated.

I'm in the same boat. I came from WNY for VII(not the farthest trip but still) and I didn't care about meeting alot of random people, I met teh roomies and a few guys I chatted with on the interweb and I watched every band. It's really weird imo that people buy tickets with not enjoying a majority of the fest because their friend(s) are going, sort of depressing imo

It is far more depressing to live in WNY. I am from the southern tier and got up every day wanting to kill myself because of the incredibly shitty life I faced there.

Of course now I live in paradise and wake up every day disappointed that I am still alive, but at least it is not because of the locale. :lol:

IMHO, if you go to a concert just for the music, you are missing out on more than half the fun. And friends multiply the enjoyment of the bands, not take away from it.

alot of people say "well im not excited about this band..." and so on, but it seems to me like every year i have been, there are *at least* 2 bands im only moderately excited about that blow me away!

this year those two were firewind and raintime.

i liked firewind but had no idea their show would be anywhere near that good, and i almost considered skipping out on raintime, but holy crap im glad i didnt

i think alot of people are forgetting about this factor when they buy their tickets.

thats just my opinion
This year it was After Forever, RainTime and Virgin Steele!:worship:rock::kickass: I am certainly a fan of all 3 bands now!:kickass:

I'd prefer this option as well, but regardless of who's headlining/playing I'll still be going to ProgPower. :headbang:

It would take a full-roster of faux/non-metal crap to get me to decide to not go to ProgPower, which, thankfully, will never happen. In the rare chance that Glenn starts booking bands like Slipknot, Bullet for My Valentine, or Hellyeah :puke: I hope he'll remember it's Ozzfest's responsibility to provide us with shitty metal ... and even then, I might just assume that Glenn was possessed by aliens/Sharon Osbourne/etc. or something :lol: and give him a one year grace period to recover, return to his senses, and provide us with yet another kick-ass metal roster.

I completely agree w/you about OzzFest! That dude has so totally sold out, Dio is more the God of Metal that Oz is! & after what Ozzy ALLOWED his cunt wife to do to Iron Maiden, they should both be exiled from the world of METAL, period! Gods Of Metal like Maiden, should never ever receive such disrespect! Made me sick just reading about it! :puke: I'll never ever buy another CD or ticket for him AGAIN! Not to mention the fact that Ozzy screwed Connecticut fans over 2 tours in a row! This was before OzzFest!