Would you still go to PP IX if...

Interesting posts Glenn. And just for the record, I was mostly just curious about how people thought about the current roster if it was the final roster (or close to it). I know you are out there trying to get the headliners, and said its on hold till December or so for some bands to settle their calendars. But in case things don't work out with a 'big time power metal band' and/or a 'big time prog/power band' , I still think that this festival has a solid lineup, and will sell-out over the long run. I was curious if others thought the same, or if they'd feel that the roster would be disappointing.

And I am glad that you have offered some new bands for me to listen to over the last few years. I don't care about how 'big' a band is, but just how good they are. I do think that many of the people who attend the festival are open to listening to new bands, and seeing bands they previously hadn't listened to.

Would you still go to PP IX if Glenn was unable to get the huge headliners

Yes, because the headliners have little to do with my reasons for being there. I didn't read all of the replies, but anyone that's paying attention to ProgPower knows that Glenn always puts together a solid lineup of quality bands. So why anyone would hinge their decision on 2/12 bands as if to say the event isn't good enough already, well frankly that's just beyond me :lol:

id still go if it was how it is right now, however i dont know if it would still sell out.

I still think that this festival has a solid lineup, and will sell-out over the long run. I was curious if others thought the same, or if they'd feel that the roster would be disappointing.

Since you asked, I don't like it.:)

Except for Spheric Universe Experience and Iron Savior and possibly Pathosray(like the one song on the sampler, but haven't gotten the album yet).

If the headliners are good, that's 4-5 bands that I like, and that's more than enough for me.

It would take a full-roster of faux/non-metal crap to get me to decide to not go to ProgPower, which, thankfully, will never happen. In the rare chance that Glenn starts booking bands like Slipknot, Bullet for My Valentine, or Hellyeah :puke: I hope he'll remember it's Ozzfest's responsibility to provide us with shitty metal ... and even then, I might just assume that Glenn was possessed by aliens/Sharon Osbourne/etc. or something :lol: and give him a one year grace period to recover, return to his senses, and provide us with yet another kick-ass metal roster.

Now that was funny! :lol:

Elvenking is the one band so far that's got me giddy like six Pixy Stix snorted.

Not Iron Savior??? I'm surprised, actually.... :err:

Glenn, I think when people say they attend ProgPower for the "family", I don't think they dislike the roster. I think they are referring to the fact that regardless of the bands, you put on a event that has grown to be something very special for a lot of people, which is difficult to accomplish, so it seems more like a compliment. I'm one of those people who often say "I (would) go to see my friends" only, but I mean it more like "this event and the people are so damn cool that it doesn't matter who's playing, I know it will good and I know I'll see my friends! The fellowship is reason enough to go!" Not the only reason... After reading your previous comment, I finally realized that "I go for my friends alone" could be misunderstood. You know what you're doing, and we know that :D

I'm there, even without any headliners so far. The bands I was already familiar with (S.U.E., Andromeda, Iron Savior, Riverside, JOP) made it a really good festival out of the gate, and having heard Pathosray, Volbeat and a few of the other bands, it's going to be yet another weekend of talent galore.

And there are two headliners to go. (My personal theory: Gamma Ray and maybe Brainstorm)

AND, don't forget, four bands for the Showcase, too.

:headbang:

With Gold Badge Membership continually increasing and the PPUSA Festival now solidly on the map I can not imagine attendance ever being a problem. For me the roster Glenn puts together must continue to promote the genre and in this regard Glenn has never missed the mark yet. Those who only support the big names should stay home and listen to their records. That is their choice. That having been said, Glenn, I hope some way in hell you bring ANGRA back and bring in MANITOU and give them a chance; next year if possible!

If JOP and Riverside were the headliners, no I would not go, and no it would not sell out. And it wouldn't miss by 6 tickets either.

That being said, I'm pretty confident that the headliners will be outstanding, as there are too many curveballs and oddballs and new bands here. It's an obviously incomplete roster and will probably look a heck of a lot better when it is complete. I remember PPVI, which had the fastest sellout time, saw a lot of bitching as the bands were announced, but once the whole picture was painted in everyone was like "Best lineup ever!" and it showed in the ticket sales.

Do you have any idea how rabid Riverside's fans are? Let me tell you...they're the same people that sell out Blackfield, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater shows all over the US on every tour.

You are out of your freaking mind. And that's just one band...

This is the STRONGEST lineup that Glenn has put together, I think...and that's before the headliners are announced.

It hasn't yet ceased to shock me, knowing how out of the loop I seem to be with Metal Bands, that while I was stoked beyond belief at the announcement of Elvenking and Iron Savior to the point of nearly wetting myself, that so many people are so unfamiliar with all of these bands... Shame on all of you, you used to be my role models. :<

I go for the bands. I think that the majority of people on this forum go for the "event" to different degrees. There are those who go accepting on faith that the lineup will be good. Others go for friends regardless of the line up, and for them "good" bands are an incidental bonus.

I also have the advantage of being local, so attendance is a no-brainer for me as long as there are a few bands that interest me. The headliners do make a difference. It's not a matter of liking 2/12 bands. It is about the difference between liking 4/12 vs. 6/12. Clearly ProgPower USA is a bargin for me, as I only incur the cost of a Gold Badge plus $5/day parking. That being the case I have asked myself, "If I had to spend and additional $700.00, would I still go as it stands?"

There are five of ten bands that I'm interested in seeing next year, but as far as bands I'm really excited to see there are only three in the current line up. Usually I'm interested in about six and and excited about four, so the count is a little lower than usual. Every year there's at least one band I would consider torture to have to sit through. Next year there's about three, so that count's up a little. When I weigh this lineup against prior years this one seems weaker to me than any other... as it stands.

Last year Glenn challenged the forum to rank his picks in name recognition alone at the time of their announcement. I think if that was done this year the lineup would fall far below VIII. Nevertheless, if I look at the two nights seperately Saturday already looks pretty good to me, and is probably good enough as is. Friday night overall doesn't enthuse me a whole lot, but it does have a couple of bands I'd be loath to miss. Bands I'd probably regret missing for the rest of my life if no other opportunity occured.

The answer then is "Yes." I'd still go to PPUSA IX, even as it stands, and even if I had to pay out an extra $700.00. I would like Friday to have more of an ass-kicker closer, but otherwise I'm okay with it.

And Jorn had no business being a headliner.

:kickass::kickass:
I go for the bands. I think that the majority of people on this forum go for the "event" to different degrees. There are those who go accepting on faith that the lineup will be good. Others go for friends regardless of the line up, and for them "good" bands are an incidental bonus.

I also have the advantage of being local, so attendance is a no-brainer for me as long as there are a few bands that interest me. The headliners do make a difference. It's not a matter of liking 2/12 bands. It is about the difference between liking 4/12 vs. 6/12. Clearly ProgPower USA is a bargin for me, as I only incur the cost of a Gold Badge plus $5/day parking. That being the case I have asked myself, "If I had to spend and additional $700.00, would I still go as it stands?"

There are five of ten bands that I'm interested in seeing next year, but as far as bands I'm really excited to see there are only three in the current line up. Usually I'm interested in about six and and excited about four, so the count is a little lower than usual. Every year there's at least one band I would consider torture to have to sit through. Next year there's about three, so that count's up a little. When I weigh this lineup against prior years this one seems weaker to me than any other... as it stands.

Last year Glenn challenged the forum to rank his picks in name recognition alone at the time of their announcement. I think if that was done this year the lineup would fall far below VIII. Nevertheless, if I look at the two nights seperately Saturday already looks pretty good to me, and is probably good enough as is. Friday night overall doesn't enthuse me a whole lot, but it does have a couple of bands I'd be loath to miss. Bands I'd probably regret missing for the rest of my life if no other opportunity occured.

The answer then is "Yes." I'd still go to PPUSA IX, even as it stands, and even if I had to pay out an extra $700.00. I would like Friday to have more of an ass-kicker closer, but otherwise I'm okay with it.

And Jorn had no business being a headliner.
As one of the locals, I must say that I do not take this festival for granted. I am very thankful that it is close to where I live, or else I simply couldn't afford to go. I have zero complaints about the entire PPUSA experience. I am completely satisfied with everything about this festival, from promotions to venue atmosphere. Yes, I drank the PUSA Koolaid a long time ago!:worship:kickass:

Last year Glenn challenged the forum to rank his picks in name recognition alone at the time of their announcement. I think if that was done this year the lineup would fall far below VIII.

Yup. But once again, without the headliners, it's like a painting that isn't finished yet. Even PPVI got tons of bitching with 8 of 10 bands announced, one of them being a headliner(Stratovarius). Then Glenn announced Conception and Angra and jaws dropped to the floor.

If this year it's like, Stratovarius and Symphony X, then this lineup goes from weak to PPV level, and that sold out in a week or so.

But Riverside and JOP on top? That woldn't work. If it could, don't you think he would have already made them the headliners?

I am quite excited by this line up as it stands. The headliners will only add to the quality.

I often wonder, though, am I in the extreme minority of PP attendees that goes to the festival specifically to watch all of the performances? I do very little socializing (who the hell wants to talk to me anyway?), and if I went there and didn't know another person at the show, I'd still come away entertained. Like I said, I think I'm in the minority here...

dt

I am quite excited by this line up as it stands. The headliners will only add to the quality.

I often wonder, though, am I in the extreme minority of PP attendees that goes to the festival specifically to watch all of the performances? I do very little socializing (who the hell wants to talk to me anyway?), and if I went there and didn't know another person at the show, I'd still come away entertained. Like I said, I think I'm in the minority here...

dt

I think you are in a slight majority actually. Just look at how many people tend to stay in their seats between bands, and a lot of people, while they may have a small group of friends with them, seem to be very much there to watch the music, and won't return once they stop enjoying the roster or the musical genre as much as they do.