Serenity Cancels PP USA IX Appearance

As Glenn also pointed out this forum is opposite in make up from the attendees.

Yet the number of straight ahead power bands goes down each year, it seems, and they get lower on the roster.
Well, if Helloween and Gamma Ray in the same night doesn't quench the thrist for power metal, I don't know what will!! Good God! Talk about a monsterous night! Plus, Iced Earth? Iron Saviour?

Plus, it does appear that each yesars make-up seems to cycle between beting more prog heavy vs. power heavy. And then there are a number of bands that aren't pure to either side. Regardless, year after year, there is always enough stuff I like/love to bring me to the festival. And it doesn't appear that many others have a problem being pulled to this festival either! With the exception of PP2, every year has sold or come damn close to selling out. Obviously, the fans have spoken!!

Edit: As of today (3/13) I just noticed that the ticket count was updated during my posts. Only 62 remain - f**king awesome!!!

Shouldn't SERENITY be replaced with a band of similar style? I didn't hear any prog fans complaining about Friday and Saturday. But now, since SERENITY pulled out and HELLOWEEN and GAMMA RAY are playing Thursday, we need another prog band? Let's be fair here. It seems some of the prog fans only care about themselves.

And further: why is the Helloween and Gamma Ray show being called into question? It's not even part of ProgPower, it's its own seperate show.

And further: why is the Helloween and Gamma Ray show being called into question? It's not even part of ProgPower, it's its own seperate show.

Excellent point. A large number of the regular attendees won't be at the pre-show and vice versa. That's why the tickets are sold seperately. I could see someone complaining that the pre-show was all power and no prog, but claiming that the actual festival needs to balance against the pre-show is silly.

I also know forum members in person who have told me that they feel, if not exactly intimidated, at least uncomfortable at the possibility of flamming for posting negative feedback on popular Prog bands on this forum.

Really? :lol: Seems like people need to grow a pair. There's not a single "mainstream" prog band i enjoy except for *possibly* symphony x, but even they are more of a metal band with some prog tendancies. I personally just can't stand the style... people need to stand up for their opinions (not necessarily flame bands) and progsnobs need to give up on the whole "Intelligent music for intelligent people" bullshit and realize perfectly intelligent people can HATE prog. It's really not very pleasing on the ears most of the time.

Excellent point. A large number of the regular attendees won't be at the pre-show and vice versa. That's why the tickets are sold seperately. I could see someone complaining that the pre-show was all power and no prog, but claiming that the actual festival needs to balance against the pre-show is silly.

But anyone who's that into power metal will almost certainly be at the Thursday show, no? What do prog fans do for a serious fix? I guess they're out of luck.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with people including the Thursday show when they say there's more power going on than prog that weekend... I'm guessing that 80%+ of the serious "powermetallers" from PP will be at the Helloween/GR show. I will be surprised if half of the show-goers are NOT ProgPower attendees. Y'all will have to let me know. :p

Shaye

Friday and Saturday have tons of prog, though. And the power fans are left a little short. I'm guessing that's why Glenn did what he did for Thursday to even it out a bit. Maybe I'm right. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just a hunch.

But anyone who's that into power metal will almost certainly be at the Thursday show, no? What do prog fans do for a serious fix? I guess they're out of luck.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with people including the Thursday show when they say there's more power going on than prog that weekend... I'm guessing that 80%+ of the serious "powermetallers" from PP will be at the Helloween/GR show. I will be surprised if half of the show-goers are NOT ProgPower attendees. Y'all will have to let me know. :p

Shaye

I simply meant that the shows are separate. Friday and Saturday try to maintain a balance of prog/power, but Thursday is whatever it wants to be (just like Wednesday). Sure, there's more power over the whole weekend, but the actual festival is pretty nicely balanced and doesn't need to become lopsided for the sake of jealous prog fans. I'm a fan of both genres so I'm winning either way here, but let's think about the poor power metal fan who isn't going on Thursday because that's a weekday. Should his experience Fri/Sat suffer just because prog fans aren't getting special attention on Thursday? You'll get your special night when the Fates Warning/Queensryche/Symphony X all-star tour swings by for a Thursday night special. Even then, it will be separate, and we won't expect Fri/Sat to be power heavy.

What do prog fans do for a serious fix? Go to ProgPower! Duh :)

Another pointless discussion/argument about who gets more or less each year...

One year, the progsnobs are crying. The other, the power freaks feel "violated"...

:lol: I love it!

Shaye

Anyone in town will probably be at the Thursday show, but there are always far fewer attendees at the showcase. Many people can't afford an extra day because of cost, time off, or other reasons.

Also Atlanta locals who don't attend progpower will be buying up tickets for this event. As Glenn stated in his announcement thread he expects it to sell out fairly quickly. If main event ticket holders don't have the cash on hand, or plans made they may very well not get a ticket at all.

Clearly the showcase isn't part of the main event, and this year it really isn't even a showcase. However, I'm sure Prog fans will continue to point at it as the equalizer to the Prog heavy roster. I'm equally sure Power fans will refuse to to acknowledge it in the clamber to have more Power added to the main event.

Exactly. :kickass::headbang:

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the harsh vocals discussions. There's plenty of whining from both sides too. :lol:

*raises pitch fork* Rawr! No more harsh vocals! Not really music! GRRRRR! Need more power metal! Must ride into battle! Never happy with stellar lineups! SNARL SNAP!

Depends on what you qualify Power. Power Metal is the most misused term to describe genres in all of Metal. Somehow bands that are actually Melodic Metal, Traditional Metal, or Hard Rock get lumped into the Power Metal catagory.

In order for Power Metal to get much respect here they mostly have to be either already well established or have graced the stage at PPUSA. It's almost laughable how 'good' a band becomes after they've been on the roster, even though they were mostly ignored or even ridiculed when mentioned or suggested previously.

Even some of the bigger names in Power Metal are frequently scoffed at in this forum, although the larger portion of attendees at the show would go nuts watching them.

Ok, I admit I use power for the mix of trad, melodic and of course power. I use hard rock or AOR for the mix of the latter two since all those subgenres are less and less represented.

I agree with your argument on the power bands and respect but I gotta say the same applies about prog bands.

Ok, here's where I stand on this exchange. The thing is that I hang out on the Original Perpetual Motion Board (or the PM Rising board as some call it) and I know a ton of great prog bands. When I read the names being tossed out here, I didn't know many of them so I tried a lot (like 10 maybe) and they were all sounding either power or trad or melodic metal. Nothing really prog by genre definition. Sure some had some prog tendancies but not enough so I could call them prog (all from my point of view).

Every genre takes a beating from fans of other genres but what do we really care? Even if some people think I'm a prog snob including Glenn, I also don't really care. As long as I enjoy myself, I can listen to music and I can argue with people on the music we all love, it's all good. It's only for the fun of it, we can't take ourselves too seriously. I'm a prog fan but I love other stuff like Martyr (to please Mr Blevins :p ), Raintime, Into Eternity, Angel Dust, Spiral Architect, Coheed and Cambria, Daughtry, some gay AOR, prog rock and hard rock as you all do. Hell, I even enjoy Manowar!!! It's never black and white.

On a side note, I'm not gonna make the Helloween/Gammaray show as I absolutely don't care about both bands and it's fine by me, I'll be eating and drinking the night away with my buds. To me though, this show is part of the whole PP USA experience (replacing the PP USA Pre-show) so I'd appreciate a prog band instead of Serenity even if some power heads are complaining about the lack of power which I find very amusing with the headliners we have this year. Heck, I count 7 power/trad or melodic metal bands in the roster. It's still gonna be ok if it's an all power band that replaces Serenity, it'll only mean I'll drink more... ;)

In the end, this argument is only entertaining since Glenn will do as he pleases. It's his show and so far, he's done a pretty good job at it, don't you think??? :heh:

Cheers dude!

Steve

np: Ayreon - 01011001

Well, if Helloween and Gamma Ray in the same night doesn't quench the thrist for power metal, I don't know what will!! Good God! Talk about a monsterous night! Plus, Iced Earth? Iron Saviour?

That's not ProgPower, it just happens to be in the same venue the night before. I may very well buy tickets for that event.

Plus, it does appear that each yesars make-up seems to cycle between beting more prog heavy vs. power heavy

I agree completely. The festival started out more prog heavy. Then came PPIII and the whole thing got huge until PPVII when Glenn made a big change that really just consisted of going back to PPI and PPII in terms of style of bands.

One year, the progsnobs are crying. The other, the power freaks feel "violated"...

True enough, I guess. Maybe PPX will be a power metal lover's dream. I can hope.

True enough, I guess. Maybe PPX will be a power metal lover's dream. I can hope.

On the contrary, it seems like an equal number from each "camp" whine every year. :p Like whoever said above, each "side" is going to use whatever to bolster their argument that's there's not enough of one and too much of the other.

Me, I don't like much of anything, so I don't think I count. I know who I hope gets the gig, but don't think it's likely, and that's about it.

Shaye