NOT JUST TITS IN A CORSET: Celebrating Women in Metal Book

usaprogmusic

ProgPowerGRRL
It has been a labor of love of mine since 2010 to put together this book about Women in Metal music. I have interviewed over 100 females (musicians, behind the scenes workers and fans) to create a comprehensive book of quotes, narrative, and photos celebrating women in metal. MANY ProgPower USA alums, attendees, and workers (including the wonderful Jen Harveston) have also been interviewed for this book. I am excited to announce that it will be published by end of March 2014.

1005392_625476874185725_748932607_n.jpg

I have decided to self-publish the book so that I have complete creative control over the process. I launched an Indiegogo campaign this weekend to help fund some of the more technical aspects of publishing a book (editing, printing, etc.) I would really appreciate the support from my ProgPower family! The campaign will run until February 10th.

Campaign link: http://igg.me/at/womeninmetal/x/309940

For more info on the book, please read about it on the book's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/WomenInMetalBook or my blog: www.thewomeninmetal.com

Thanks!
:headbang:

I had been wondering about this!!!! Glad to see the book is moving into publication. Looking forward to reading it!

I encourage everyone to contribute that can - every little bit helps! With your contribution, you may even receive a copy of the book (see campaign details).

There are not many books out there about Metal, in general, so I feel this book is important to our scene.

I can attest to Jill being backstage conducting interviews at ProgPower USA XIII - year of metal women! :lol: Simone Simons, Floor Jansen, Anette Olzon, Laura Macri, Clementine Delauney, Elize Ryd, and Dilenya Mar were all present at PP that year.

I recently re-wrote the fest's Wiki Page in order to save it from deletion (*TOTAL* PITA process I don't wish on anyone) because we did not have enough credible references. I really struggled to find books and magazines not in e-print to show our history since 2001. I can count the # of metal books on 1 hand we were able to cite. That's sad!

~Jen

I recently re-wrote the fest's Wiki Page in order to save it from deletion (*TOTAL* PITA process I don't wish on anyone) because we did not have enough credible references. I really struggled to find books and magazines not in e-print to show our history since 2001. I can count the # of metal books on 1 hand we were able to cite. That's sad!

~Jen

Glad you did it. I was actually looking into doing that myself, but I had absolutely nothing to reference as all my knowledge about ProgPower was from personal experience and/or what I've read on these forums or on the ProgPower website. However, I may go back in and format those tables a little better to point out the headliners (boldface the band name for the headliner) and perhaps use a different shading of background color to denote the Friday and Saturday part of the lineup.

That would be great, Steven - thank you!

I look forward to being able to cite from Jill's book on our wiki page.

~Jen

Perhaps FFM could stop marketing tits and the corset as the first thing you know about a band, if they want the general public to see them as more than such. Looking at you Skylark. Not that it would help, Skylark blows.

(Disclaimer: that's by no means meant to apply to every FFM band, I know plenty that market properly, but a lot of the bigger names and the lesser quality bands are pretty egregious with marketing. The funniest is when the biggest part of the cover is some half-dressed chick who's not even the singer)

LOL-So I see now there is a REVOLVER tour called THE HOTTEST CHICKS IN HARD ROCK or something like that.
Headlined by Sick Puppies (Who????) and Lacuna Coil.