NOT JUST TITS IN A CORSET: Celebrating Women in Metal Book

Just as a comparison... Mean Deviation, the unquestionable, absolute bible of progressive metal goes for about $20...

You can't compare Mean Deviation to my book, sorry, as far as physical material. My book is larger, hardcover, with full color photographs and thicker paper, not a paperback like Mean Deviation. It's pretty much a coffee table book which always sells at a higher price unless you pick it up off of the clearance rack at Barnes & Nobles. Mean Deviation also was published through a publishing company so they were printing at higher volumes. This is self-published, through a print-on-demand site - hence the higher cost. I realize it is pricey. Maybe a bigger publisher will pick it up someday. You can buy the e-book for $6.99. Doesn't mean it's not a good product. There are lots of great self-published books out there. Just like there are lots of great bands who self-release their albums without a label.

And the Ann Boleyn thing was a very minor snafu that happened during the editing process (two sentences got jumbled together, probably when my editor & I were going back and forth using track changes...it was not intentional and it was accidentally missed in the final proof). Ann made it out to be a bigger deal than it was. I was gracious about it and apologized for the mistake. The error has been fixed for any books that go out from now on.

You can't compare Mean Deviation to my book, sorry, as far as physical material. My book is larger, hardcover, with full color photographs and thicker paper, not a paperback like Mean Deviation. It's pretty much a coffee table book which always sells at a higher price unless you pick it up off of the clearance rack at Barnes & Nobles. Mean Deviation also was published through a publishing company so they were printing at higher volumes. This is self-published, through a print-on-demand site - hence the higher cost. I realize it is pricey. Maybe a bigger publisher will pick it up someday. You can buy the e-book for $6.99. Doesn't mean it's not a good product. There are lots of great self-published books out there. Just like there are lots of great bands who self-release their albums without a label.

Jill,

First of all, there's no need to get defensive over my comment. I completely understand the challenge of releasing a self-publishing book and I admire you for fighting on for so long to get this book released.

However, the average metal fan (which will be the consumer for your product) can't help but to compare your book with Mean Deviation and the few other books that exist about "our metal" so to speak. There aren't that many out there and the comparisons will come out. I completely understand that it's a different format, bigger, prettier, etc. Bottom line: it's a book about metal that appeals to a very narrow demographic. And as you said yourself, it's pricey.

Out of curiosity, did you pitch your book's idea to Bazillion Points, the publisher? They seem to be always into releasing books that are somehow related to metal (including Mean Deviation and the official Nightwish biography). I could see them picking it up.

Lastly, I truly look forward to reading your book. However, I am hesitant to get the ebook version simply because I want to experience the full thing and see for myself how much of a good-quality book it is. I missed out on the crowdfunding campaign (which I regret), but someday I'll be picking it up. Unfortunately, $60 for it is completely out of question... and I'm sure many other fans will feel the same way.

Best of luck with the book.

-Milton

Out of curiosity, did you pitch your book's idea to Bazillion Points, the publisher? They seem to be always into releasing books that are somehow related to metal (including Mean Deviation and the official Nightwish biography). I could see them picking it up.

You had to use the NIGHTWISH biography as an example for Bazillion Points and Metal?!?!?:lol:
Everything I have from them is so high quality it's not even funny. The Slayer zine compilation, ONLY DEATH IS REAL, the Swedeath book....ugh....mouth watering just thinking about them. Even the cookbook is an entertaining read. Actually just picked up Mean Deviation for super cheap last night.

You had to use the NIGHTWISH biography as an example for Bazillion Points and Metal?!?!?:lol:
Everything I have from them is so high quality it's not even funny. The Slayer zine compilation, ONLY DEATH IS REAL, the Swedeath book....ugh....mouth watering just thinking about them. Even the cookbook is an entertaining read. Actually just picked up Mean Deviation for super cheap last night.

Well, it's one of their best sellers! :lol:

Mean Deviation is an incredible book.

Jill,
-Milton

Yes, I did pitch it to Bazillion Points. There was some initial interest before my manuscript was even written but because of my own personal delays and wanting complete control over the creative process, I decided to self-publish for now. I never bothered to send the manuscript to them so I don't know if they would still be interested. If a publisher wants to pick it up in the future, I would entertain the idea, if the terms were right.

Thanks for your continual support Milton. Maybe someday the book will be available at a lower price point that you can afford. I agree that the print version is a much better experience!

...but at that cost the pictures should be more in the playboy version...

giphy.gif

Well it's pretty clear that you're not the target demographic.

I thought it was B.S. that the Author made a claim that people couldn't afford the $60 which is ridiculous when you read about all the live shows that these forum people go and see which aren't cheap these days...

My response mislead you into thinking that I want naked pictures which at my age is untrue and I thought that many of the younger men out here would find more attractive and possible worth the coin but it was more of a response as a joke...

As for me I'm thrilled to learn about the Mean Deviation book which is on the way for $18.60 and if this book was more in that range I would've picked it up....

If I brought hard copies of the book to ProgPower, would anyone want to buy one? I would be willing to sell them cheaper than you can get it online currently + you save shipping costs ($40 for a softcover, $50 for the hardcover...cash or credit card). I have a limited supply leftover from the book release party. I won't be setting up a vendor table but we can arrange to meet up if you want a copy.

I will have copies of the book at ProgPower on my person. Not setting up a vendor table because I want to enjoy the festival and not be stuck behind a table. So if you want a copy, which features many of ProgPower's alum, as well as a feature on Jen Harveston and ProgPower, then you can flag me down. They will be more than half off! $20 for a softcover and $25 for a hardcover (first edition). Cash only.

Sorry but I have no idea what you look like - how can I find you to pick up a hard cover first edition copy. Thanks!!