NOT JUST TITS IN A CORSET: Celebrating Women in Metal Book

Love the title, and the idea of the book. Later on when I get the money I'll look into pledging for a copy.

Thanks everyone for your support (even if you don't like the title of the book ...it's intentional to be as provocative as it is and goes along well with the content of the book)! I am also excited to announce that DORO PESCH will be writing the foreword for the book! I really hope that this book becomes a good source for the future!

My goal is almost half-way met so I still need more contributions! EVERY contribution level gets you a copy of the book in one of the various formats! http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/celebrating-women-in-metal-book

1521828_629518410448238_68069303_n.jpg

I am trying to contribute via the Indiegogo link for the book. I keep getting "Error on page" but the site doesn't say what the error is. Also, it says "By clicking Continue...", but there is no Continue button visible anywhere on the page for me to proceed to the next screen. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

I'll also be contributing.

I love the cover shot. Great picture. To go along with the "provocative" title, did you consider using a cover shot that featured a singer in a corset? I'm also curious, does the book touch on the absence of women from the genre as anything other than singers? It's always seemed strange to me that we now have so many female fronted bands, but so few bands that feature female instrumentalists.

It's always seemed strange to me that we now have so many female fronted bands, but so few bands that feature female instrumentalists.

I believe that Jen from Cassandra Syndrome and Simone from Voyager (both guitarists) are in the book. I agree that I wish I saw more women playing instruments. I have no idea why there aren't more.

I believe that Jen from Cassandra Syndrome and Simone from Voyager (both guitarists) are in the book. I agree that I wish I saw more women playing instruments. I have no idea why there aren't more.
Thanks. It does seem strange. I recently read a study about the impact of the “blind audition” process with tryouts for symphonies. In the study they note that symphonies are now composed of more than 35% women. It’s interesting that you don’t see that number in Metal. Although, I guess you don’t see it in other genres either. It doesn’t seem like Jazz, Rock or Blues are well represented with female instrumentalists. Granted, there are some. But it’s far from a number that’s representative of the population.

Looked on the Indiegogo site and they said under FAQ they didn't play well with older versions of IE. Guess it was time to update. So, updated to IE11 and had no problems. I'm good now.

I do touch on the fact that there are a lot of female singers, but I did interview some female instrumentalists for this book as well.
I didn't feel it was necessary to use a photo of a girl in a corset to go along with the title. I didn't want to objectify anyone. The title is less about the clothes and more about how women in metal are not there to be sex objects. It celebrates the fact that women in metal are accomplished, talented musicians and those who work behind the scenes or are fans of the genre are very passionate about the music and the work they do, but they still have to overcome a lot of adversity.

Thank you to all who have contributed so far! Very close to meeting the goal! Still plenty of time to contribute. Each "reward" receives a copy of the book in one of the various formats so please keep contributing even once the goal is met!

Yes, as well as Linda McDonald - Phantom Blue & The Iron Maidens drummer, Justine Ethier - drummer for Blackguard, Roxy Petrucci - drummer for Vixen, Jax Chambers - guitarist for Girlschool, Sandy Sledge - drummer for Rude Girl/Warbride/Sledge Leather, Addie Lee - original guitarist for Fanny, Joan Palmer - instrumentalist for Trocaria, Kelly Johnston-Gibson - Ides of Gemini drummer, Mary Säfstrand - Frantic Amber guitarist, Michelle Loose-Schrotz - While Heaven Wept keyboardist, April Sese - Suspyre keyboardist, Ida Haukland - Triosphere bassist

Will there be any females of more extreme genres?

I mean, imagine being Nicole Lee (Znowhite) fronting a band during the formative years of thrash metal in the US?

Or, more importantly, Jo Bench from Bolt Thrower!!!!!

I was never really into BT, but even back in the day, everyone praised her for being essentially the first woman in a death metal band.

More importantly, these are two women who were truly a PART of the band, and not at all there for their physical appearance.

I know you can't get everyone under the sun included, but those are two ladies I feel are certainly worth mentioning.

More importantly, these are two women who were truly a PART of the band, and not at all there for their physical appearance.

I think people would be surprised with how many women in bands aren't chosen for their looks; they just so happen to not only be part of the band, but also are good looking. All of the chicks in bands I know are there because they worked for it.

I think people would be surprised with how many women in bands aren't chosen for their looks; they just so happen to not only be part of the band, but also are good looking. All of the chicks in bands I know are there because they worked for it.

That's not the point I was making.

As someone commented above, many, if not most, females in hard rock and metal are frontwomen. The lead vocalist (male or female) tend to be the "face" of the band.

Honestly, I think this is another reason why (unfairly) many women in bands get judged on their looks, since they are "front and center"

That's why I had asked about women in more extreme genres of music where band member attractiveness is less "out there" as others.

I did include women who are involved in extreme metal. Just because I didn't interview Jo Bench exclusively doesn't mean she isn't "mentioned" ...just some people did not make themselves available to be interviewed. And you are right, it was not possible to include everyone under the sun. The book would be 1000+ pages long then. I tried to interview someone who represents every subgenre of metal, though. I tried to be as inclusive as possible even if extreme metal is not something I personally listen to. Do you not consider Angela Gossow or Alissa White-Gluz extreme enough? (they do primarly growl vocals)