Official All-Star Jam Set Discussion

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Btw..remember this was *extra* music and meant to be a fun jam (fun is a foreign concept to some around here). Keep that in mind before you complain about being late, etc. If I had been running far behind with the bands that you paid for when you purchased your ticket, then you would have a valid gripe.

Also, I have already addressed the Damian incident in the sticky section so I will not comment on that further.

Glenn

As I predicted, this absolutely killed. Fucking amazing. You know it's going to be an awesome evening when they start the show with Floor doing "The Final Countdown". I was jumping up and down like a complete idiot when this song started. And the evening only got better from there.

Other highlights included Zak Stevens doing "Strutter" (complete with Paul Stanley makeup!), other folks covering songs like "Take Hold Of The Flame", "Children Of The Sea", and so many others. There were over 20 songs, and every one of them kicked ass.

I'm sure this was a massive fuckton of work to put this together, but I'd love to see it happen again. Thank you Glenn, the crew, and everyone involved for this. Other than the Savatage/WoMD set from a few years ago, this might be my favorite show ever.

And yes, this needs to be released on DVD. I'd happily pay well over $100 for a copy of this.

dt

I liked the first set the most... left during Pagan Mind's singer's third song (maybe taking over for Vanden Plas's singer?). Was getting too tired. Really enjoyed the Ralf/Floor duet of "Who wants to live forever."

And well I hope that Lance King (or any others in a similar position) didn't have a difficult time explaining to his kids Damian's display (for those not there he got some stripper/roadie/whatever to come out with no top and a g string with a painted body and do an 'erotic' dance on stage during his song). Most of the crowd seemed to have a 'ummmmm' reaction to it. Damian sang his song well but it was just a lame occurrence.

I'm sure the rest of the all-star jam was good. Some certainly will love it more than others, all depends on how familiar you are with the songs.

Interestingly, I'd say that the all-star jam had the greatest audience and crowd participation.

I thought that was a great idea by Damian to bring one of the woman from the erotic expo (up in the Loft) down to the stage during his song. Talent, creativity, and a phenomenal voice= what a performance for me! Cheers to Damian; he fuckin rules and i hope to see him back with Threshold next year headlining the pre-party!!!

I honesty think that the All Star Jam was the best part of the weekend, minus the nearly naked chick. Lol. Maybe its just cause I'm a girl and I'm kinda weird about my boyfriend watching that stuff; I'd rather him see only me naked, ya know? Lol. But it was alright. Anyways, next year ya'll should do something special for us ladies. Any cute males willing to perform for us? With g-string? :lol: Any volunteers? But really, great job Glenn. You rule! :worship:

I thought that was a great idea by Damian to bring one of the woman from the erotic expo (up in the Loft) down to the stage during his song. Talent, creativity, and a phenomenal voice= what a performance for me! Cheers to Damian; he fuckin rules and i hope to see him back with Threshold next year headlining the pre-party!!!

This comming from someone who(except this year) lives at the Cheetah Club,
I thought that was a tasteless act because of teh fact that Lance King's kids were in the croud.
Loved Nils and Lance's duet of Crimson Glory's Lady of Winter
great set

Just a note as some people seemed to be unsure but Glenn knew nothing about the exotic art woman. I saw him during the song kind of shrugging like someone was asking about it and then Damien confirmed it was a spur of the moment thing after he had been invited up there by some women in rubber outside. I wasn't particularly offended but it was pretty out of place and was more laughing at the ridiculousness of it more than anything.
Starting off with the Final Countdown was awesome. And hell, the 2nd time around was even better. I killed what energy I had jumping during that song.
And... since the cameras were all running, will any of this be on the PPVIII DVD?

I thought the first set was really good, but I think it dragged on way way too long. I know I wasn't the only one that felt this way as I heard people in the crowd say the same thing. I really enjoyed it, but if it ever happens again it shouldn't be as long.

I also agree about the Damian thing. A little out of place

I've been a ProgPower attendee for the past 3 years, and browsed the forums that entire time but only felt compelled to register today ... because of the painted lady.

There was no place for her; bringing her on-stage was disrespectful to everyone in attendance. No one had any idea we had paid to see a stripper ("erotic art model" same thing) until she was forced upon us. ProgPower has never been an age-limited show and perhaps her attire was appropriately within the realm of the law, but her behavior was not. She sat on his face, for God's sake. Twice.

Ugh. And I feel really bad for Lance and family.

I thought the jam was excellent, but like many of you, I thought it ran a bit too long. They could easily have shaved off about 45 minutes and still had an excellent jam to remember.

Stuff to dump:

The erotic dance. I wasn't that offended by it, but it was distracting from what was otherwise a good song.

The AC/DC stuff. AC/DC has been done to death and by far better bands that the drunk guy from Freak's kitchen.

King Diamond material. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I cannot stand KD in any way shape or form. It was a very good cover, but KD's singing style just annoys the hell out of me.

Flight of Icarus: Waaaay too chaotic for what is normally a decent song. And hell, if they were gonna do Maiden, why not Trooper?

STuff that killed:

Heart's Alone: That was a very good cover, with just the right emotion. A pretty bold choice to play that late at night, especially coming off the drunken chaos of the AC/DC covers and the pure chaos of the Maiden cover.

Final Countdown: Unfortunately they had to do it twice because of the mic foul-up (they couldn't have realized this midway through the song), but once they got it working, it was a great cover.

Strutter: Not the best Kiss song or the best cover out there, but it was worth it to see Zak in Paul Stanley makeup.

THe Real Thing: That was an incredibly intense cover of a FNM song that isn't normally thought of. Kudos to the bold choice.

Metal Gods: You knew that Ralf had to be involved in a Priest cover, and since Primal Fear had been doing that on stage, this was a gimmi. It would have been great to see something slightly different, but this was still a pretty damn good cover.

But without a doubt the highlight of the entire jam has to be the Ralf/Floor duet of Who Wants to Live Forever. This is one of the most beautiful songs ever written, and the duet really showed Ralf's tender side. The performance was so stunning, it even brought a tear to my eyes.

All in all, a very good jam and indeed a great weekend all the way around.

...I thought that was a tasteless act because of teh fact that Lance King's kids were in the crowd...

Yeah, I had my 12 year old with me and was glad I had left my 7 year old at home. Understand I have no problem with the image of a mostly nude female in body paint. But I didn't appreciate having my son watch simulated sex on stage. All in all, no harm done. He and I are close enough that we talked about it and whatnot. And we both still totally support Damian and the Threshold lot. I just thought that we were a little more classy than that.

As for my opinions of the jam:

Floor Jansen has one of the most beautiful and powerful voices I have had the pleasure of listening to live. Every song of hers was awesome. Heart's "Alone" gave me shivers.

Nils doing King Diamond was killer. I know KD is an acquired taste, but his delivery of that song was spot on.

Kudos to the crew guys for their Maiden cover. Hell they were better than Virgin Steele.

The highlight for me was Ray Alder's amazing performance of The Real Thing. Man they made that song dark and moody and evil.

Great job by all involved. Hope we get to see something like this again...

I agree with the sentiment that it could have been MUCH MUCH shorter. I'd go ONE song per singer next time. That said, it was a BLAST! Floor doing "Alone" was kick ass. I also REALLY enjoyed Zak's version of Desperado. THis was a truly once in a lifetime event! Thanks so much!

I have to disagree with Crimson Emotions - the King Diamond was one of my favorite parts. Completely unexpected and pulled off incredibly - and whether ya like it or not, King is a classic figure in metal and the song was very well received I thought. Abigail is one of my personal favorite albums (on an admittedly long list) so I was thrilled. I am also not an AC/DC fan, but many are and not everyone needs to be 100% pleased with every selection. Its a fun thing that the bands and Glen were great to have put together - especially Pagan's Mind. Hell, I hate KISS with a passion, but whatever. It was fun.

My favorite parts were Welcome Home and Who Wants to Live Forever...i've seen Highlander too many times not to mention that. :D

I was really hoping for a Blue Oyster Cult cover and something from Nugent =/ But I was so tired after AF I'd figure I would sit and rest, and then Europe was on. I was like fuck I shoulda stayed on the rail =/ went like on/off for me for like every song after that personally. But im also a youngin'

why is everyone so upset over a naked lady????? when did heavy metal become so PC. Sure it may have not fit for the moment but I think people are looking way too much into this. If it is too much for you to handle, go to watch Disney's High School Musical on broadway then.