One more band to guess....

Don't forget there are two more to be announced for
the Showcase as well...

Cellador and Evergrace.

although i am still going to stick with Nocturnal Rites!!

They do seem the most logical choice. A band that isn't a true headliner now, but who Glenn could make a headliner if they bring the house down.

Everyone has to remember Glenn's latest exposure (no, not the balls of steel :) ) This slot isn't going to be recognized as a true headliner, so throw out the Iced Earths, Helloweens, and Sym Xs (as much as I'd love either). We can also throw out the surprise reunions a la Crimson Glory or old school band returning such as Pretty Maids (which I would love).

Assume that this is going to be a repeat of a newer 3rd slot band from the past, or, more likely, be some up and coming band that other people think can't fill that slot.

I love the Nocturnal Rites suggestion, and think that this could be right for all the criteria. I also think the following bands could fill this bill:

Astral Doors - Only 3 albums out, but a lot of buzz.
Balance of Power - Not much done recently, but a big catalog and an established new singer
Falconer - Placed here only because I want to see them, but I don't think they are big enough to even be considered as a "made" headliner.
Labyrinth - Although I think they are already big enough to headline, but I thought Virgin Steele should headline, so what do I know anyway.
Masterplan - Only a few albums, and missing the Jorn star power, but still a solid band.
Mob Rules - My favorite pick, and in the exact same situation as Nocturnal Rites as far as catalog but not a lot of attention.
Mystic Prophecy - Another solid but smaller band, but may be too similar to be back to back with Primal Fear
Silent Force - Not a huge band, but they have DC Cooper and are coming out with their fourth album.
Savatage 25th reunion tour - Just seeing if you're paying attention.

For the record, I think it'll be NONE of the above, but that's along the lines of how I would guess Glenn is thinking.

The alternative to this whole post is that we've completely misread Glenn's words. When he said he was going to 'make a headliner', he didn't mean anything about raising a band up a notch. If I'm right here, we can look for the episodes of "Metal Idol" starting in January. The winning members will come together to form "Parrotheads of Steel", and close out the fest in Oct !

Steve in Philly

Astral Doors - Only 3 albums out, but a lot of buzz.

No. Not the kind of band you can make a headliner.

Balance of Power - Not much done recently, but a big catalog and an established new singer

No, another repeat and was a lower slot band even before the age of sold out Progpowers. And they haven't really advanced much since.

Falconer - Placed here only because I want to see them, but I don't think they are big enough to even be considered as a "made" headliner

Hmmm. With the original lead singer back and a great new album, and with enough back material and buzz, they could conceivably be there.

Labyrinth - Although I think they are already big enough to headline, but I thought Virgin Steele should headline, so what do I know anyway.

Nah, Labyrinth is a 75 minute slot band. But if Glenn's making headliners, it is an obvious choice.

Masterplan - Only a few albums, and missing the Jorn star power, but still a solid band.

Glenn is usually wary of bands that just made big changes. And they only have three albums.

Mob Rules - My favorite pick, and in the exact same situation as Nocturnal Rites as far as catalog but not a lot of attention.

Yeah, that could work. They get slightly better with each album and the first was pretty darn good.

Mystic Prophecy - Another solid but smaller band, but may be too similar to be back to back with Primal Fear

Yeah, and I don't think they are really at near-headliner status yet.

Silent Force - Not a huge band, but they have DC Cooper and are coming out with their fourth album.

I think you could make a headliner out of Silent Force. Remember that Glenn said he's marketing to the PP fanbase now and not necessarily to the masses. And DC Cooper is pretty popular with the PP fanbase. The only reason I'd say not likely is because we already have three repeats.

Random thoughts:..

Given the power-heavy line-up to this point I would think that last spot has got to be something a little different.

I like the Falconer and Silent Force guesses from a personal standpoint...I would also think Jag Panzer could be in the running.

Nocturnal Rites would absolutely slay following Primal Fear, but that just doesn't seem like something Glenn would do.

Whoever follows PF would have to be really dynamic and badass.

I think After Forever is a solid guess at this point as well as Orphaned Land. They also fit in the "create-a-headliner" category (if taken figuratively). Balance of Power seems to fit into this category too.

Wow, much to think about.

How about Jon Oliva's Pain. His new CD is as Savatage as you're ever gonna get. Just a thought!!

Chris :headbang:

Would LOVE it, but I don't think it'll happen. That wouldn't count to me as "creating a headliner". JOP can play Sava tunes all night, and that is as headliner as you get!

Steve in Philly

Edguy would definately be my first choice to pull for, then Iced Earth most likely would be my second hope, but Demons and Wizards would be awesome to see.

or maybe...

Heimdall
Circus Maximus
Heavenly
Tristania
Operatika
Rhapsody
Queensryche
THERION
(they have a new album ya know...:headbang: )

more or less a wish list, but Im sure Glenn will pick the most kickass headliner no matter what.

I'd love to see Outworld, Avian, or Dark Empire for showcase

hell, I was just sayin. I don't know much about them but the stuff I have heard sounded awesome. I didn't know how much they had recorded. My bad. They could have more stuff by now? :lol:

hell, I was just sayin. I don't know much about them but the stuff I have heard sounded awesome. I didn't know how much they had recorded. My bad. They could have more stuff by now? :lol:

They're working on their first full length album. They've only released a "5" song EP (4 true songs, 1 intro) which was out in 2004, I believe.

But then, Circus Maximus is also pretty off since they're only releasing their 2nd CD in 2007 and I don't think they need to play PP 3 years in a row.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Edguy...it's been two years and they are headlining material!!!

I for one would be extremely happy if Edguy get booked, but I somehow doubt it. I do think that one year Edguy should headline with a really special (and long) set, as they have a ton of great material that they just don't get a chance to touch on during their regular shows.

My first choice, however, would be Andre Matos, an appearance from him here is way overdue!

Andre Matos would be cool a la Jorn last year, seeing as he has quite a bit of material(Angra, Shaman, Virgo, Viper).

But if Glenn is intent on making a headliner it doesn't really fit. Unfortunately, neither does Edguy and Symphony X.

Labyrinth, Masterplan, or Heavenly do fit, however, as they are close, but not quite, headliners.