PP USA VII: Band #7 & #8 confirmed

ashaman7122 said:
And here we have the crux of our problem...and the reason for some of Glenn's trepidation, I'm sure.

It's opinions like this (and some of snide shit posted by Ascension) that polarize this group.

On one hand, you have the group that wants the high-profile, "traditional" power and prog bands represented...year after year after year. If I was feeling particularly snide, I would call them poseurs and tell them to broaden their musical horizons. While Glenn has had some tremendous success with marquee players, it's unrealistic to expect that "caliber" of line-ups to continue forever...not logistically and financially possible...that's the downside.

On the other hand, you have the more enlightened PPUSA fan that enjoys a roster filled with very talented (but oftentimes obscure), mid-level popularity type bands that push the envelope on the stereotypical sound within their respective sub-genre of metal. These fans are truly the metal elite snobs, and frequently act that way. While this kind of roster truly creates an astoundingly unique festival on North American shores, the downside comes in the lack of mass appeal and may damage ticket sales, which would certainly not be able to continue forever either.

The question to ask is...what kind of festival do you want?...can't please everyone you know...obviously.

Of the two types of groups and fests that I mentioned above, how many of us fall in the middle?...able to enjoy the more visible, marquee bands when they come, but still totally receptive to new musical experiences? Cuz that's the group that Glenn is probably banking on filling the most seats year after year...I guess. Where do you (I'm speaking to the general crowd) fit in?

In summary, what prompted this diatribe is all the negativity, referring to "lackluster" performances and "disappointing" lineups, which is all purely subjective. Either support the festival, or...at the very least...support the North American metal scene, or just shut the fuck up...but don't piss in our Wheaties just so you can feel superior...

Rock on!

What I see is this
80% are loving the roster
15% have said(me included) a few times "who",then after checking out the soundfiles,were won over,or just said that they will use a particular band for a food break
only 5%(and I think its actually less than) that are sayng "F this,the roster sucks,bla bla bla)

IMO,you can have the same bands over here only so many times before people get kind of ho hum about them,and the fact of teh matter is that Glen is running out of top level bands that no one has seen in the States before,IMO,which is why I said that after Conception's reunion,that it was going to be impossible to top that.Which top level band is left,Rhapsody,they already did a US tour,but thats it.
This lineup actually reminds me of PP5 in a way that there is a lot of mid level new blood in the lineup
That to me from top to bottom was probabbly the most entertaining ProgPower for me,as some of you know,I get bored easily and start to wander
This kinda has that same fel to it so far

The one way I'm kinda dissapointed,to be honest,is the exclusion this year of Redemption
Other than that,I think I'll be spending more time in the arena then yaking with Maria

Chris Rifkin(HalcyonF5 and Stu said:
What I see is this 80% are loving the roster, 15% have said(me included) a few times "who",then after checking out the soundfiles, were won over,or just said that they will use a particular band for a food break only 5%(and I think its actually less than) that are sayng "F this,the roster sucks,bla bla bla)
I'd say your're numbers are off. I believe there are more people displeased with this roster than you think. That said, I don't think it's much different than any other year.

IMO,you can have the same bands over here only so many times before people get kind of ho hum about them,and the fact of teh matter is that Glen is running out of top level bands that no one has seen in the States before...
Agreed.

This lineup actually reminds me of PP5 in a way that there is a lot of mid level new blood in the lineup.
Possibly. However, I much preferred that line-up.

The one way I'm kinda dissapointed,to be honest, is the exclusion this year of Redemption.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by this. I imagine this had to with with Ray; either what it would cost to get him here or his schedule.

By the way, would it be possible for you to come up with a longer nickname?:loco:

Zod

General Zod said:
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by this. I imagine this had to with with Ray; either what it would cost to get him here or his schedule.

Zod

unless of couse Ray IS comming over in that other band he fronts(which means my close friend has kept an amazing secret from me,seee my post in 2 headliners left)

ashaman7122 said:
And here we have the crux of our problem...and the reason for some of Glenn's trepidation, I'm sure.

It's opinions like this (and some of snide shit posted by Ascension) that polarize this group.

On one hand, you have the group that wants the high-profile, "traditional" power and prog bands represented...year after year after year. If I was feeling particularly snide, I would call them poseurs and tell them to broaden their musical horizons. While Glenn has had some tremendous success with marquee players, it's unrealistic to expect that "caliber" of line-ups to continue forever...not logistically and financially possible...that's the downside.

On the other hand, you have the more enlightened PPUSA fan that enjoys a roster filled with very talented (but oftentimes obscure), mid-level popularity type bands that push the envelope on the stereotypical sound within their respective sub-genre of metal. These fans are truly the metal elite snobs, and frequently act that way. While this kind of roster truly creates an astoundingly unique festival on North American shores, the downside comes in the lack of mass appeal and may damage ticket sales, which would certainly not be able to continue forever either.

The question to ask is...what kind of festival do you want?...can't please everyone you know...obviously.

Of the two types of groups and fests that I mentioned above, how many of us fall in the middle?...able to enjoy the more visible, marquee bands when they come, but still totally receptive to new musical experiences? Cuz that's the group that Glenn is probably banking on filling the most seats year after year...I guess. Where do you (I'm speaking to the general crowd) fit in?

In summary, what prompted this diatribe is all the negativity, referring to "lackluster" performances and "disappointing" lineups, which is all purely subjective. Either support the festival, or...at the very least...support the North American metal scene, or just shut the fuck up...but don't piss in our Wheaties just so you can feel superior...

Rock on!

don't assume you know me. Out of these 8 bands I own albums of 6 and I am not really thrilled. I guess my tastes differ with most. But it is funny, I guess you only want to hear praises no matter what, God forbid somebody expresses that they are not going bonkers over this lineup.

IMO,you can have the same bands over here only so many times before people get kind of ho hum about them,and the fact of teh matter is that Glen is running out of top level bands that no one has seen in the States before

I don't think so, and it doesn't have to be a band that never played in US. Not played for a long while would be ok too.

KingsGene said:
Not normally a fan of growling vox, but giving Mercenary a pass...the 2 tunes work enough for me.

Really enjoying the VD songs...that's more my style. Cool!

I used to always say that I hated growling vocals... and I still do hate most. Sometimes I feel the vocals of bands are growling just because they're not good enough for clean :)

With that said, I've come to love some bands with these types of vocals. Mercenary and Darkseed (totally need to come to PP one year) are two examples of the perfect mix! I urge, I URGE, anyone that has not given mercenary a chance because you heard they growl, please listen to -all- of the album, 11 Dreams. That album is actually a higher percentage of clean vocals, with probably only one song that is all harsh vocals (which aren't really that harsh, ;) ) I have actually almost come to tears listening to the end of that album ( time without changes / loneliness ) If all you heard was Everblack (the 2nd to latest) you -must- listen to 11 Dreams.

And with all of that said, I have even found some love for Amon Amarth (mostly just Once Sent from the Golden Hall) :Spin:

trentdk said:
I used to always say that I hated growling vocals... and I still do hate most. Sometimes I feel the vocals of bands are growling just because they're not good enough for clean :)

With that said, I've come to love some bands with these types of vocals. Mercenary and Darkseed (totally need to come to PP one year) are two examples of the perfect mix! I urge, I URGE, anyone that has not given mercenary a chance because you heard they growl, please listen to -all- of the album, 11 Dreams. That album is actually a higher percentage of clean vocals, with probably only one song that is all harsh vocals (which aren't really that harsh, ;) ) I have actually almost come to tears listening to the end of that album ( time without changes / loneliness ) If all you heard was Everblack (the first album) you -must- listen to 11 Dreams.

And with all of that said, I have even found some love for Amon Amarth (mostly just Once Sent from the Golden Hall) :Spin:

You slut!...Everblack is still superior.

ashaman7122 said:

Rock on!

So wait...let me understand you properly.

During the extremely limited amount of time I actually listen to power or prog metal, I only listen to high profile, "traditional" bands (a la Helloween), so I'm a poseur?

And because I care little-to-nothing about bands that I perceive to be 2nd- or 3rd-rate bands in the same genre of metal, I'm not enlightened?

That seems to be what you've said.

How many black, death, and/or viking metal bands do you listen to? :tickled:

nightwish58 said:
I have to agree; I truly think they are the biggest band announced thus far, other than Epica. Oh well, it would have been another 15 minutes as even I can admit they are not headlining material just yet. Give them another few years, and mark my words, they will be headlining PP X. Olaf is the fuckin man!

Perhaps the low spot might mean a repeat two night performance ala Orphaned Land? :headbang:

MadeInNewJersey said:
So wait...let me understand you properly.

During the extremely limited amount of time I actually listen to power or prog metal, I only listen to high profile, "traditional" bands (a la Helloween), so I'm a poseur?

And because I care little-to-nothing about bands that I perceive to be 2nd- or 3rd-rate bands in the same genre of metal, I'm not enlightened?

That seems to be what you've said.

How many black, death, and/or viking metal bands do you listen to? :tickled:

So wait, let me understand you properly.

You take offense to this post...BECAUSE...you see yourself AT BOTH EXTREMES(???) of my little example. (You must be from Jersey...and easily offended)...Evidently...you're an "unenlightened poseur?"...WTF??? I ASKED WHERE YOU FALL IN THE MIDDLE...HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF MIDDLE GROUND...............? That seems to be what you said.

You didn't quite get the gist of my examples...that doesn't make you a snob or a poseur...it makes you a dumbass.

For the record...Black metal: none; Death metal: not a big fan...; Viking metal: pff...what the fuck?...get real...

lucretia96 said:
don't assume you know me. Out of these 8 bands I own albums of 6 and I am not really thrilled. I guess my tastes differ with most. But it is funny, I guess you only want to hear praises no matter what, God forbid somebody expresses that they are not going bonkers over this lineup.

I'm not presuming to know you at all...

Just responding to your bullshit posts...that's all...

Rock on!