PP USA XI video feedback request

For bands I already knew, it was great to hear the songs and hear all the cheering from the audience. It really built up the announcements and gave each band a chance to "soak in" before we were hit with another one.

That "soak in" is really important. And of course, there's the sense of build-up that Glenn mentioned later in the thread. :)

THE AFTER PARTY FOR DEBAUCHERY!!!

3:12, buddy! :lol:

Based on the feedback already given and further thoughts after I posted the question, I have easily come to a decision. The video presentation will remain the same as least year. My rationale:

2. My opinion (and mine alone) is that those with a very good knowledge of bands discussed on this forum are the ones that wish to have a short presentation. They have already either heard of the band and possibly formed and opinion. I believe those to be in the minority from the overall crowd (not the forum attendees).

Critically important point, and very, very astute. ('Course, you ARE the master at this. :))

5. If you drop it to 10 mins, then you are turning it into an Iron Maiden live dvd seizure inducing editing job. I may as well just post the names via powerpoint and be done with it.

Yep. See above regarding the "soak in" factor.

And finally...the most important reason: me. The feelings I experience from the crowd roars during the video presentation are priceless.

Glenn

Hell, it was kinda fun for the crowd as well! :lol:

Hey... if you get that big a kick out of it... go nuts Spielberg. Britt and I will just make sure to get a round of beers and a bucket of popcorn.

Aww, shit. Someone should get one of those popcorn carts from Sams and wheel it in when Andre starts his encore. :)

I remembered when Sabaton was announced that I yelled myself hoarse. I was hoarse for over 3 weeks after ProgPower. :) :lol:

This. But for Orphaned Land. I got my voice back after about 3 days, though...but I was drinking milk. :saint:

I even like the 2 minute clips for bands I know from the first note...probably because I like the songs that much anyway. :)

I can't wait for the video...probably because Matos' set isn't one of my MANDATORY sets to catch, Royal Hunt and Matos will be that much more anticipation for the presentation, which has been a highlight both years it's been implemented.

Based on the feedback already given and further thoughts after I posted the question, I have easily come to a decision. The video presentation will remain the same as least year. My rationale:

1. There is not going to be a consensus opinion.
2. My opinion (and mine alone) is that those with a very good knowledge of bands discussed on this forum are the ones that wish to have a short presentation. They have already either heard of the band and possibly formed and opinion. I believe those to be in the minority from the overall crowd (not the forum attendees).
3. Those that lean towards one side of the coin (prog vs power) want to get through the video clips of the bands they know they will not care about as fast as possible.
4. Those that attend for the social factor as much as the music are ready to go and enjoy the rest of the night at the various parties, etc. Either that, or you are simply getting old and want to go to bed.
5. If you drop it to 10 mins, then you are turning it into an Iron Maiden live dvd seizure inducing editing job. I may as well just post the names via powerpoint and be done with it.
6. Wayne works really hard on this video. It's not fair to him to present what he knows is an inferior product.
7. For those unfamilar with the band, the clip gives them a chance to form an opinion. Those opinions are posted everywhere that very night. Not everyone wants to wait and research them when they get home online. The instant gratification is in high demand.
8. Hearing 1-2 minutes of music gives you a better idea if you wish to go ahead and purchase a cd in the vendor's room the next day. That is a very important part of the experience at the festival to some. Sabaton went over like monsters to those that had never heard of them because of their video clip, not their logo.
9. You are not being forced to endure the video. It's a bonus for after the show. You can find out who the bands are on this very forum within seconds from your hotel room of the presentation if you wan to exit early.

And finally...the most important reason: me. The feelings I experience from the crowd roars during the video presentation are priceless.

Thanks all.

Glenn
Makes sense to me. Fuck my previous post of agreeing to shorten the video a tad. Now that I see your reasonings, I say just let it be as it was last year. And by the way, Glenn...:worship:

The longer video clips are very important. It takes time to bet on the name of the next band introduced and have money exchange hands on the last.

But seriously if you enjoy the reaction, then do it--it is a good bet that the money is not the main reason you these things. I thought I would burst my lungs for Sabaton and Pagan's.

I'd like some feedback based on last year's video presentation.

I plan on doing the same thing this year after the Matos set. How long is too long? Do you just want very short segments to simply find out who it is? We'd be done in 10 minutes. Or Should we maintain the 1-2 minute clips of each band like last year? If so, you are looking at a 20-25 minute video.

Like an extra 15 minutes at THAT time of night should really make a difference!?!? :headbang:Most people are either totally running on adrenaline,. or totally wasted off their asses...
I'm there anyway, so I say go for it! :lol:

1. There is not going to be a consensus opinion.
3. Those that lean towards one side of the coin (prog vs power) want to get through the video clips of the bands they know they will not care about as fast as possible.
4. Those that attend for the social factor as much as the music are ready to go and enjoy the rest of the night at the various parties, etc. Either that, or you are simply getting old and want to go to bed.
6. Wayne works really hard on this video. It's not fair to him to present what he knows is an inferior product.
7. For those unfamilar with the band, the clip gives them a chance to form an opinion. Those opinions are posted everywhere that very night. Not everyone wants to wait and research them when they get home online. The instant gratification is in high demand.
8. Hearing 1-2 minutes of music gives you a better idea if you wish to go ahead and purchase a cd in the vendor's room the next day. That is a very important part of the experience at the festival to some. Sabaton went over like monsters to those that had never heard of them because of their video clip, not their logo.
9. You are not being forced to endure the video. It's a bonus for after the show. You can find out who the bands are on this very forum within seconds from your hotel room of the presentation if you wan to exit early.

Thanks all.

Glenn

It's your show, and naturally you're more than entiltled to do whatever you want. That given, and as:
1 Is a forgone conclusion regarding anything on this board.
2-8 are clearly legit reasons
9 Is always an attendee option for any part of the show.
and 10 is the relevent bottom line.

May I ask then why you posed the question?

Well, if I wanted to get loaded I'd stay at home and just blast some tunes. So, yeah spending over a $1000 on travel/hotel and feeling hungover during the show is not going to happen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you're not partying friday night, you're doing Progpower wrong.

May I ask then why you posed the question?

It was a spur of the moment thing to be honest. I wanted to see if I there was a consensus one way or another. I honestly do take critiques and try to improve things.

It was after sitting down and actually trying it, I discovered that not only did I not like it for the actual editing effect but I realized how much I truly enjoyed the moment of when it played.

I took my imaginary roster and tried to do a 30 second clip vs a 90 second clip right after I posted it. I thought the shorter one sucked when comparing. You just couldn't get your teeth into the melody and I believe that to be important for first impressions.

I took my imaginary roster and tried to do a 30 second clip vs a 90 second clip right after I posted it. I thought the shorter one sucked when comparing. You just couldn't get your teeth into the melody and I believe that to be important for first impressions.

Any chance we'll be able to see the imaginary roster video? This would come in very handy for playing a practical joke on someone. :heh:

I was going to say a longer video because it gives you time to soak in the band and their tune if you aren;t familiar with them or even if you are and bet your friends who the next band is going to be. Glad you are keeping it the length from last year Glenn. I loved the format you used last year. The place would go freaking nuts with every band unveiled, because it would appeal to one section of the crowd or another. The place just roared every time another band's name went onto the screen. THat is just freaking Priceless GLenn!!

Glen,

I was leaning towards a shorter video until I read your point 8 "Hearing 1-2 minutes of music gives you a better idea if you wish to go ahead and purchase a cd in the vendor's room the next day. That is a very important part of the experience at the festival to some. Sabaton went over like monsters to those that had never heard of them because of their video clip, not their logo."

Your Sabaton example was exactly what I did. I went to the vendor booths the next day and grabbed my copy. I would not have done that if I hadn't heard the clip. So now I am back in your camp. The more music I can hear from bands I am not familiar with the better!

over the last 2 years the video presentation has become one of my favorite parts of the fest. I get such a rush being in a room with almost a thousand people screaming for next year's lineup. Prolong that feeling as much as possible.

I personally think the way you did it last year was pretty cool. I was pretty beat, like many other people, but I think giving the upcoming bands a decent amount of time in the videos to convey their work to us is a good idea. If you want to shorten it, play the video a little quicker after the last band's set. I understand the "anticipation effect" you get by delaying it a little, but other than SwordLord (where does a guy that big get so much energy ?) the rest of us are worn flat out.

Bryant

I'm late to all this (I was in Europe for two weeks), but I love the videos just the way they are. Looking forward to the new one!

dt

I just got back from 3 weeks in Europe...Italy, Austria, Switzerland, France, and England. Maybe we crossed paths at some point! :)

I thought last year's presentation was great, but I do have one suggestion for the vendors. After the bands are announced Friday night, if they could either separate out the bands announced for PPXI, or flag the CDs somehow, I think they would fly off the shelves.

Last year, I did buy several CDs for bands announced for PPX. However, I probably would have purchased even more if they had been easier to find...and if I could have *remembered* the names of all the bands! :lol:

I liked last years just fine! As long as there is Wayne's cool video with the music, I enjoy the hell out of it no matter how long it is!