ProgPower Iconic Moments Over The Years

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Midnight's set during the showcase made me think of all the iconic ProgPowerUSA moments there have been over the years. I'm not talking about the cool thing that happened in your hotel room, or how you hung with band members from fill-in-the-blank, or when your friend got really drunk and did whatever. Nothing individual.

I'm talking about the moments that involved everyone at the fest. I'm talking about the special moments that seem to happen only at this unique festival. Here are a bunch, purely from memory. What have I missed?

* Curtain closing on Gamma Ray during PPIII.

* Firewind singer touches himself and performs lewd acts with a microphone.

* Ingar of Conception comes out in full black goth metal regalia, and makes weird tongue gestures to Kahn.

* Midnight performs a late night (early morning) acoustic show on the concourse of the old Fairfield hotel.

* Dead rat outside for PPIV.

* Hurricane Ivan fails to disrupt PPIV (but does create some classic "F*#k Ivan" shirts)

* Midnight's train wreck poetry showcase performance at PPIX.

* Nightwish's last wish for Mark at PPIV.

* Bubble wrap and coconut bras.

* Balls of Steel presentation to Glenn.

* The "Glenn's f'd up" chant.

* Rage playing to a mostly empty arena. (Okay, by definition this was NOT seen by many people, but it is still an iconic moment).

* Midnight's drunken stumble and forgetting lines during Kamelot "Call of the Sea".

* Edguy's Tobias Sammat "F*#k" chant.

* "Stars" . . . with only half the mics working.

* Damian Wilson's erotic art stripper during The All Star Jam.

* Marriage proposal(s) during Evergrey's set @ VII.

* Glenn doing backup vox for Thunderstone's "Forth Into The Black" @ VII

* Curtain closing on Savage Circus @ VII

* Fairfield Flu @ III & IV

* Glenn's stage dive

* Tom Englund's Hair being stuck in the ceiling of JJ Kelleys for PP I while he was headbanging

Thanks again to Glenn for making all of these moments possible.

Steve in Philly

Marriage proposal during Evergrey's set @ VII.
String quartet during Evergrey's set @ VII.
Glenn doing backup vox for Thunderstone's "Forth Into The Black" @ VII
Curtain closing on Savage Circus @ VII
Fairfield Flu @ III & IV

You guys are all missing the most epic progpower moment ever... Curufin has his balls out on the couch. And he's showing them off. We got treated to a Full Sail Stretch. Apparently, they're also "baby smooth." 2 People can confirm. At least.

edit, I have pics.
edit 2: I just pantsed him. It was hilarious. Everyone in the room got full frontal but me. Epic Win.

At Prog Power III, Reading Zero's bassist played half the set with the amp on mute. Then they had Mikey from Everygrey come out to play a song with them and he did it without being plugged in.

Kamelot at ProgPower IV when the girl came out to sing and she looked like she didn't know how to use the microphone, then she sang her 2 lines into a microphone that was off. She walked back on later, missing a cue just to walk back off, the crew finally helped her for the last time the line occurred.

Timo Kotipelto saying to the crowd at VI: "Do you guys want to hear any more ballads?" The crowd shouts "No!!!" And they proceed to play another fucking ballad.

Got a brand new one that just happened tonight!

For ProgPower IX, the guitarist of Andromeda popping a string on his guitar during the last song of their set, thus resulting in an impromptu drum solo while the guitar techs were taking care of the problem!

Russell Allen inadvertantly kicking a water bottel during their second song @ IV, thereby ejecting the contents straight up into the crotch of his jeans.

How can anyone forget Khan onstage at ProgPower ll in the middle of the set reading a sign that someone(I think it was Shaye) held up in the front over the PA.
"Party in room 303........................(pause)........OK.............I think I might go"

Then the party in room 303

Followed by this exchange between me and Tom Eglund by the refigerator
Tom(opend fridge and looks in horror at an empte fridge devoid of any booze)"there's no beer"
Chris "uhhh.......yep.........its all gone
Tom"go get some more"
Chris "Can't buy beer on Sunday in Atlanta(it was past midnight)"
Tom" why not"
Chris "shitty blue laws in this state(had to explain to him and Michael (Hackansan) who also wandered over what that was all about)
Michael and Tom then stare at one another and both look like they want to cry

Got a good one - what a hell of a way to end an otherwise awesome ProgPower!

Iced Earth guitar amp taking a shit, thus prematurely ending an otherwise awesome Iced Earth set (and the ProgPower IX show itself). Queue the "pac-man dying" sound effect.

Got a good one - what a hell of a way to end an otherwise awesome ProgPower!

Iced Earth guitar amp taking a shit, thus prematurely ending an otherwise awesome Iced Earth set (and the ProgPower IX show itself). Queue the "pac-man dying" sound effect.

At first I was disappointed because I didn't get the opportunity to appeal for an encore, but I see it differently after giving it some thought. The equipment was obviously feeling the strain from Night of the Stormrider. Honestly, I feel I've witnessed something special. Iced Earth literally rocked a piece of equipment to death before my very eyes. I don't really see this as being to the detriment of the show.

At Prog Power III, Reading Zero's bassist played half the set with the amp on mute. Then they had Mikey from Everygrey come out to play a song with them and he did it without being plugged in.

quote]

Um.. not quite... RZ's bass was on the whole time... when they did the change over to Mike, his bass was not plugged in for about a minute...