ProgPower USA X Bands

hey Glenn you think you might ever have the 'old school' power metal bands on? I know they more than likely draw like shit, but just as a tribute and 'respect' kind of thing

Old school power metal is cool sometimes, but I think Glenn thinks twice before booking them. As far as I remember, the last ones he booked (Rage and Virgin Steele) didn't go over too well. The place emptied out for Rage and Virgin Steele at PP IV and VIII.

My ideal showcase would be:

Impelliterri (w\ Rob) - After this years Rob performance and the new Impelliterri album with Rob coming up this would be an ideal choice for the showcase.
Kiko Loureiro - Instrumental band that would rock center stage.
Astral Doors
Falconer

Old school power metal is cool sometimes, but I think Glenn thinks twice before booking them. As far as I remember, the last ones he booked (Rage and Virgin Steele) didn't go over too well. The place emptied out for Rage and Virgin Steele at PP IV and VIII.

That's true but Virgin Steele performance on Prog Power VIII cannot be compared to the Rage performance on PP IV which is one of my favorites of all time at PP.

Certainly everyone has different opinions, but ALL of the returning bands, were the darlings of their respected PPUSA appearances. I really think a great deal of work has gone into choosing/booking the line-up, especially Saturday's and I, for one couldn't be more pleased. Sabaton also seems to be popular from what I heard from many attendees at IX. Fates Warning is also regarded by many as the Father of prog-metal. I think the line-up is great.

Bryant

My *quick* thoughts:

Power Quest- I like high energy openers. I needed some traditional type power. North American debut.

Tomorrow's Eve- I wanted a prog band, but not a repeat of SUE/Andromeda style. North American debut

DSO- Oddball. Oddball with buzz. Oddball signing with a new label and release coming up to push them even further. North American debut.

Sabaton- Bombastic testosterone power metal. "The Art of War" was my power metal album of the year. MONSTER buzz on the band in Europe, especially as a live band. They are on the threshold of forcing their way into the elite and the power genre is in desperate need of a new headliner. The only thing holding them back is the small label they are. North American debut.

Royal Hunt- Melodic with prog friendly tendencies. They headline on their own in Europe. One of the big names that has been on my radar for years. I find it amusing to hear "who?" from the power metal fans. I got more love on Blabbermouth for booking them than my own forum so far. Go figure that one. North American debut.

Andre Matos- One of the last true big prog/power hybrids left that I haven't booked. He has been doing it for 20 years with Viper, Angra, Shaman, Virgo, Solo, and all the high profile guest appearances. He headlines in Japan, Europe, and South American. North American debut.

Circus Maximus, Orphaned Land, Pagan's Mind, and Brainstorm: All have buzz, loyal followings, and tore the roof off the place when they played previously. All were more than eager to come back. That makes for a winning combo considering you have such a nice combo of styles.

Fates Warning- 'Nuff said.

I think it's funny how some people say "Power Quest should take at least a 3rd slot", and yet at the same time say "Who the fuck is Andre Matos?" Get real...
:lol:

I took the "Power Quest should get a third slot" is in response to DSO having 1 CD vs 4 for Power Quest, thus having more material to choose from.

Being an ANGRAfan I think your a bit biased about the Andre Matos choice. I think he'll be like Jorn Lande where he pulls material from Viper, Angra and his solo material but let's face it, he doesn't exactly have "draw power" like a Jorn or other vocalist might have. I still think it will be a great show though, don't get me wrong..just a bit surprised when I heard the choice.

Saturday night will ROCK...Love the line up.

I tell ya when I saw Circus Maximus pop up on that screen I knew I was coming back... then Pagan's Mind - I was in...

Everything that was on the announcement that I haven't heard before caught my attention and I'll definitely be looking into their stuff...

and let me tell ya.. to be in that room when Fates Warning was announced - holy shyte - you would've thought that we were told each of us was getting a million dollars... That place was abso-freakin-lutely NUTS - THAT alone was worth staying for!!!!

I dunno how he does it, but Glenn out does himself every year...

Sorry Zine, but as hard as I'm trying not to, I have to call you out on this.

World wide sales from Matos-era Angra albums alone:

Angel's Cry- 350,000 K
Holy Land- 350,000 K
Fireworks- 250,000 K

Throw in Viper and Shaman and you hit 1 million sold worldwide. Jorn cannot come close to even a fraction of that claim when you combine sales from Masterplan, ARK, and all his solo discs combined.

Matos's solo album out sold Jorn's most recent album as well. Matos is on SPV and has distribution here in the States as well. Jorn remains an import on a small label in comparison.

My *quick* thoughts:

Power Quest- I like high energy openers. I needed some traditional type power. North American debut.

Tomorrow's Eve- I wanted a prog band, but not a repeat of SUE/Andromeda style. North American debut

DSO- Oddball. Oddball with buzz. Oddball signing with a new label and release coming up to push them even further. North American debut.

Sabaton- Bombastic testosterone power metal. "The Art of War" was my power metal album of the year. MONSTER buzz on the band in Europe, especially as a live band. They are on the threshold of forcing their way into the elite and the power genre is in desperate need of a new headliner. The only thing holding them back is the small label they are. North American debut.

Royal Hunt- Melodic with prog friendly tendencies. They headline on their own in Europe. One of the big names that has been on my radar for years. I find it amusing to hear "who?" from the power metal fans. I got more love on Blabbermouth for booking them than my own forum so far. Go figure that one. North American debut.

Andre Matos- One of the last true big prog/power hybrids left that I haven't booked. He has been doing it for 20 years with Viper, Angra, Shaman, Virgo, Solo, and all the high profile guest appearances. He headlines in Japan, Europe, and South American. North American debut.

Circus Maximus, Orphaned Land, Pagan's Mind, and Brainstorm: All have buzz, loyal followings, and tore the roof off the place when they played previously. All were more than eager to come back. That makes for a winning combo considering you have such a nice combo of styles.

More than works for me. Yes, I am a Glenn fanboy. I wear that honor proudly because without him, there is no Progpower.

My *quick* thoughts:

Good stuff Glen. Who doesn't know Royal Hunt? Great get on Royal Hunt man!

Angel's Cry- 350,000 K
Holy Land- 350,000 K
Fireworks- 250,000 K

Throw in Viper and Shaman and you hit 1 million sold worldwide. Jorn cannot come close to even a fraction of that claim when you combine sales from Masterplan, ARK, and all his solo discs combined.

Matos's solo album out sold Jorn's most recent album as well. Matos is on SPV and has distribution here in the States as well. Jorn remains an import on a small label in comparison.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know Angra had that many sales. Honestly I wouldn't have expected it. As stated I'm looking forward to seeing him perform as well as the the other bands though I'm still disappointed PQ isn't getting a higher billing (no need to explain...I saw the earlier post about the choices and respect it).

I think it's funny how some people say "Power Quest should take at least a 3rd slot", and yet at the same time say "Who the fuck is Andre Matos?" Get real...
:lol:

I took the "Power Quest should get a third slot" is in response to DSO having 1 CD vs 4 for Power Quest, thus having more material to choose from.

Being an ANGRAfan I think your a bit biased about the Andre Matos choice. I think he'll be like Jorn Lande where he pulls material from Viper, Angra and his solo material but let's face it, he doesn't exactly have "draw power" like a Jorn or other vocalist might have. I still think it will be a great show though, don't get me wrong..just a bit surprised when I heard the choice.

Saturday night will ROCK...Love the line up.

Well, for some reason I thought Power Quest only had two albums. If that's the case, then I was wrong and I totally take that back.

Regarding Matos not drawing, here's the deal. He has no drawing power in the United States. Angra never had the chance to break in the US, unfortunately. As Glenn said, he headlines all over the world.

Angel's Cry- 350,000 K
Holy Land- 350,000 K
Fireworks- 250,000 K

Thanks Glenn, I was actually trying to find their sales number as I was posting my last reply.

I think your post should make people understand a bit more your rationale.

Royal Hunt- I got more love on Blabbermouth for booking them than my own forum so far. Go figure that one.
This is so embarrassing to admit, but I actually burst into tears of excitement and surprise at this announcement. Never thought they'd make it over here with all the issues on their past tours. I'm surprised you aren't getting MAD LOVE over this.

Angel's Cry- 350,000 K
Holy Land- 350,000 K
Fireworks- 250,000 K

Along with these numbers, the first Shaaman album, Ritual, was awarded the best album in 2002 and 2004 by Folha de Sao Paulo (The New York Times of Brazil). Matos is a legend there apparently.