ProgPower USA X Bands

I'm looking forward to next year. I think it will be more "progressive" that this year's lineup, which is a good thing. Death Metal gets old in about 2 songs. Certainly, it's the same live or recorded.

I'm excited about seeing Fates Warning. Pagan's Mind was AWESOME last year - I'm excited they're making a return. Circus Maximus is also something I'm looking forward to. I've heard good things about Andre Matos - I have a year to get to know his music (don't flame me for not already being an expert).

Add Brainstorm and Royal Hunt, and I'm already booking my hotel for next year!

DSO looks odd, but might end up being fun to see - I'll reserve judgement.

I look forward to seeing *most* of you again next year!

I've missed the years where the returning bands played, so I'm looking forward to an all new set for me.

Echoing somebody else statement: seeing Circus Maximus listed got me excited and then Pagan's Mind cemented it for me. Everything else is gravy, or icing or ... ? I'm sure one of the unknowns will kick my ass, but that's what is so great about this fest.

This is so embarrassing to admit, but I actually burst into tears of excitement and surprise at this announcement. Never thought they'd make it over here with all the issues on their past tours. I'm surprised you aren't getting MAD LOVE over this.

There was actually talk of a pool on how soon Royal Hunt would end up bailing out. I guess now I know why. Here's hoping everything stays on track this year!

On a related note re: Sabaton - Art of War is Wargasmic.

Pagan's Mind
Brainstorm
Fates Warning

:headbang::headbang::headbang::kickass::kickass:

Just my three favorites, but can't wait to see the rest, as well!!!!

Nocturnal Rites for Thursday sure would clinch it for me!!!!

I have been rudely chastised for providing false information in a post in this thread. You would think that I was part of a global conspiracy to dethrone the Vatican according to the tone of the email. Be that as it may....

Sabaton previously performed at South by Southwest.

Royal Hunt evidently opened up one show for Warrant here.

I had no idea nor does it matter in the slightest to me. Now that I have provided the correct information in public, I hope my sins argainst humanity are absolved.

not my cup of tea. I was hoping a Savatage Reunion, Circle to Circle, Evergrey.... I don't think I'll be heading down there next year unless a band I really like is added. Although Fates Warning is pretty cool. I guess I am more a rocker than a progger :)

Dude, I have to chime in on this one. Savatage in the form of JOP did play down there this year! Also, CIIC has made an appearance down there at least twice if not three times within recent years. You also say that your more of a rocker than a progger. I suggest for you to go and listen to Sabaton, Brainstorm, Pagan's Mind and Powerquest. If that doesn't rock you then nothing will!

~Brian~

I have been rudely chastised for providing false information in a post in this thread. You would think that I was part of a global conspiracy to dethrone the Vatican according to the tone of the email. Be that as it may....

I had no idea nor does it matter in the slightest to me. Now that I have provided the correct information in public, I hope my sins argainst humanity are absolved.

Ahahaha, thats awesome. I could care less if you have the band first in any circumstance, just as long as you get them period if they are good... *cough* Morgana Lefay *cough*

I'll be attending my first ProgPower because of Andre Matos in the lineup. I saw him briefly at Wacken 2008 with Avantasia but to have him do a full solo set would be so awesome :D

Don't know how much (if any) of that stuff makes it into his solo set, but it should!

Andre does songs from these albums in his setlist:

Viper - Theatre of Fate (usually "Moonlight" or "Living For the Night")
Angra - Angels Cry (the title track & "Carry On")
Angra - Holy Land
Angra - Fireworks (more times than not it's just "Lisbon")
Shaman - Ritual
Virgo - Virgo ("Fiction" usually)
Andre Matos - Time to Be Free (most of the songs will come from this)

He might even throw in a Maiden cover, you never know :)

OK, now that I have re-hashed this in my head:

PPX is the diamond in the crown, the cherry on the sundae, top of the heap, King of the hill, A #1. There is not one weak spot in this. The only question out there is Royal Hunt and whether they won't find some reason to back out. They've done that before. DSO is the oddball to end all oddballs. Pagan's Mind became an exception of the 2 year rule for good reason. Sabaton is a #4 for a reason: Will they blow the place up to the point that Andre Matos will put people to sleep after a Sabaton set? Hence a 4.

However, I'd like to quote something Glenn said several months ago: "The band I will select will cement the ProgPower name". He meant that for Iced Earth.

The problem is, it was cemented by Fates Warning.

The other problem is how does Glenn top this? Short of a lineup with Dream Theater, A Dio reunion and a Savatage reunion and Rhapsody all playing the same year, with maybe Axel Rudi Pell and the full Advantasia set thrown in, every future PPUSA will be judged against PPX. Anyone that does not believe that is a fool. PPX is so damn strong, Glenn should charge your first born son just to even SMELL this lineup, never mind seeing it. That said, this will sell out in record time. I would not be surprised if Stub-Hub had PPX tix for sale two minutes after they go on sale. That said....

Great job, Glenn! :worship:notworthy:kickass::kickass:

Which translated means "they played in a smallish bar for a couple of hundred people, tops," more than likely. :)

I'm not sure THAT show, err, warrants too much concern, either. (Opening for Warrant? Weird......)

No biggie. I'll just sell you some indulgences.
*ka-ching!*
Presto! You are absolved. Go forth and kick ass, my son. :worship:rock::lol:

This is the strongest line up yet IMO.

Glenn, thanks for bringing Brainstorm back. Savatage and Brainstorm are the bands that got me to come to PP in the first place. I've been waiting for them to come back.

Royal Hunt. Wow. Fucking Wow. another band I have been been dying to see at PP. I agree with you, why are they not getting the praise they deserve on here?

Sabaton. when I heard their first album, I wasn't overly impressed. When I heard the Art of War...(speechless). The Price of a Mile has very quickly become my favorite song of 2008.

I can't wait for PPX!!!!!

Andre does songs from these albums in his setlist:

Viper - Theatre of Fate (usually "Moonlight" or "Living For the Night")
Angra - Angels Cry (the title track & "Carry On")
Angra - Holy Land
Angra - Fireworks (more times than not it's just "Lisbon")
Shaman - Ritual
Virgo - Virgo ("Fiction" usually)
Andre Matos - Time to Be Free (most of the songs will come from this)

He might even throw in a Maiden cover, you never know :)

Thanks for this information. I was not familiar with the early Angra stuff because I only concentrated on the newer Angra stuff last time they were here. I just DL'd "Fireworks" from eMusic and wondered what else I should get from his era to get ready.

Also, had never heard Sabaton, but just DL'd "The Art Of War" from eMusic and it crushes. eMusic also has a few other albums from them available, too. These guys are going to slay if they sound anything like this live...

I've never seen Fates Warning so looking forward to hearing Guardian live if they play it.

Taking wagers now, but the odds of that are, say 45,824.85 to 1. Unless somehow someway someone goads Arch from his self-imposed exile (please, don't get any ideas here folks!) to join the band (and commute from the lovely CT suburbs) for a "one-off" song, it ain't going to happen. I'd be hard pressed to believe Fates would perform anything pre-PERFECT SYMMETRY, but seeing as I am a betting man (!!!) stranger things have happened.

I will say FINALLY, Fates have come to the pre-imminent US of A prog/power metal festival - it was only a matter of time (unlimited kudos to Glenn on this) and I for one am stoked. Probably only DT getting a slot would be a bigger draw (though considering Fates are my favorite band, not for me, but not by much) or maybe even QR (not Quiet Riot or the Quiet Room) - imagine that!