public transportation question

deathfalls

Jan 7, 2002
Louisiana, USA
Visit site
i will most likely be flying into atlanta from louisiana, and was wondering if public transportation would be sufficient enough to get me from airport to hotel/venue, or would i need to rent a car? i'll be staying at fairfield inn by the way... if anyone else has done this before, just give me your opinion, etc! i'd appreciate it.

No need to rent a car, there is the MARTA train that will take you to within about 2 blocks of the Fairfield. The stop you need is just about right across the street from Earthlink and the Granda.

Since it looks like I will be flying in and meeting up with people once there, I have a few general questions about MARTA. It's stop #5 that is across from the Earthlink venue correct? And it's the North train I want to be on? Also, once at the Atlanta airport, how much of a pain is it to actually get on the train.

Thanks all who know! :)

kellsco said:
No need to rent a car, there is the MARTA train that will take you to within about 2 blocks of the Fairfield. The stop you need is just about right across the street from Earthlink and the Granda.

Since it looks like I will be flying in and meeting up with people once there, I have a few general questions about MARTA. It's stop #5 that is across from the Earthlink venue correct? And it's the North train I want to be on? Also, once at the Atlanta airport, how much of a pain is it to actually get on the train.

Thanks all who know! :)

There is a MARTA station AT the airport, so no problems there.

At the airport, get on the North train and stay on it until you get to the Arts Center Station, no need to change trains.

And you don't really have to worry about getting on the wrong train. The airport is the southern most station. So they will all be going North and just look for the Arts Center Station like the last guy said. It's always very clear what station you are at and there are maps and things on the train that will tell you what the next stations are.

...and to make the search a bit easier ( i know we didn't had a clue two years back) , take the station exit on the left side of the building (left is when looking in driving direction)...

..outside, go to the right and you'll walk in the direction of the venue, just can't miss it, after you passed the venue take the next road to the left (downhill) and the next road to the right, you'll walk right towards the FFI.
bon voyage!

Ahh the Marta ride. It seems that every year when Im on it it was just last week since the last time I was there. When Im on it I can barely contain myself as I know within a few hours Ill be partying with all the metalheads in the Fairfield. Dammit, 4 months to go.

Ben

I am from Louisiana also and I went last year. I had no problems whatsoever with transportation. From the airport you can take either a taxi or use MARTA. What part of Louisiana are you from?

Indeed, the proximity of the venue to a MARTA station was one of its biggest selling points when we (Glenn, my roommate Tim and me) were looking into Atlanta venues.

Even aside from Earthlink Live's outstanding amenities (great concert hall, outside lobby for vendors, backstage area capacious enough for five bands to have a dressing-room of their own, etc.), you really couldn't ask for a better-situated venue. Not only is it within a block of the MARTA station, but you could walk to it from the Amtrak station, which is right across the freeway.

If only there were a few more places to eat within easy walking distance. :)

Hey, thanks a bunch for the info!

I'm from New Mexico and we have nothing that even resembles a train here. So being a solo traveling female in a strange city trying to navigate strange transportation can be a bit scary. :err:

that marta couldn't be easier. not far from where you get your luggage. it is cheap to ride, they announce each exit, and then it is a brief walk to your hotel.:Spin: I wish all metalfests I travelled to would be this convenient.

kellsco said:

I'm from New Mexico and we have nothing that even resembles a train here. So being a solo traveling female in a strange city trying to navigate strange transportation can be a bit scary. :err:
Kellsco, I'll be in your situation too - solo traveling female navigating a strange city. I've been to PP twice and to Atlanta several other times, but never alone, and without personal transportation. I may or may not have my boyfriend with me, so I'm not looking forward to doing this by myself. If we arrive at the airport around the same time as eachother and book the same hotel, would you like to navigate the airport-MARTA-hotel trip together?? E-mail me if you're interested at: tammyzepp@yahoo.com

~Sh0k~

kellsco said:

1) go to Ground Transportation area of the airport

2) locate the MARTA station via signs

3) purchase a token at window or vending machine

4) stick token in token slot, and go through gate

5) go up escalator to the trains (both will be going north, since the airport is the southernmost station)

6) get off at N5, Arts Center

then, if the same thing happens to you that happens to me every single year:

7) exit station through wrong door, get all turned around, and walk in a huge circle to find the venue/hotels, and run into The Surfing Alien in the process :)

...any solo travelling females want to take a train ride with me? ;)

The only issue I had with the MARTA was exiting the station in the right place... I ended up walking in a very long, hot circle because I ended up on the top floor of the station and turned left instead of right on the side street. (I'm glad I'm not the only dork who does this!) But I know better this time!

kellsco said:

No need to worry about that! I already told you I can pick you up from the airport with no problems. ;)

Donna

sh0kr0k said:
Kellsco, I'll be in your situation too - solo traveling female navigating a strange city. I've been to PP twice and to Atlanta several other times, but never alone, and without personal transportation. I may or may not have my boyfriend with me, so I'm not looking forward to doing this by myself. If we arrive at the airport around the same time as eachother and book the same hotel, would you like to navigate the airport-MARTA-hotel trip together?? E-mail me if you're interested at: tammyzepp@yahoo.com

~Sh0k~
I'll be at the Fairfield. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I might fly to Tampa and drive up with my friend or just go ahead and fly straight to Atlanta. There is a chance that I could fly in on Wed. afternoon as most of the flights out of NM don't get me into Atlanta until LATE Thurs. So not missing the preparty. I noted your email so when it gets closer to time we can see what we can work out! Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you. :)

ShadowGirl said:
No need to worry about that! I already told you I can pick you up from the airport with no problems. ;)

Donna
I take it that you got a ticket then? That's great Donna. Now to just get the time off..... ;) Ok. Well, like I said I'm still not sure if I'm going to Tampa and drive up with Jimmy or not. He wants to make the Buc's game Sunday so that means leaving after the show Sat. night. eww. I'm leaning more for flying straight to Atlanta.

Between all us women, I'm sure we can come up with a plan.

kellsco said:
I take it that you got a ticket then? That's great Donna. Now to just get the time off..... ;) Ok. Well, like I said I'm still not sure if I'm going to Tampa and drive up with Jimmy or not. He wants to make the Buc's game Sunday so that means leaving after the show Sat. night. eww. I'm leaning more for flying straight to Atlanta.

Between all us women, I'm sure we can come up with a plan.
Yep..I got a ticket....barely in time. ;)

Now I can use the fact that I already have my ticket to help my boss say yes to the time off. ;)

Donna

kellsco said:
I'll be at the Fairfield. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I might fly to Tampa and drive up with my friend or just go ahead and fly straight to Atlanta. There is a chance that I could fly in on Wed. afternoon as most of the flights out of NM don't get me into Atlanta until LATE Thurs. So not missing the preparty. I noted your email so when it gets closer to time we can see what we can work out! Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you. :)

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't made any travel arrangements yet, I'll have to do that pronto. First I need to make hotel arragements. I haven't even investigated it yet, but I'd love to stay at the Fairfield or Granada. How much did you shell out for the Farifield per night?? I will certainly have to get a roommate or two since I plan on arriving sometime Thursday, maybe even as early as Wednesday. But, yes, get back to me whenthe time gets closer and we'll compare notes :)

~Tammy~