Queensryche vs. Queensryche

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I didn't see where anyone posted the full songs yet?

In THIS corner - Queensryche!

aaaaaaaand in this cornerrRR - Queensryche!

Now that we have 2 full tunes - thoughts?

Last edited:
My thoughts:

Todd LaTorre QR:
Better than I thought it would be after hearing the original clip and it has my attention now, I'm curious to hear more. Production/mixing seems kinda sloppy though, muddy-ish- not sure if that is on purpose? It sounds better on the chorus but overall just doesn't seem "tight" sounding. Not crazy about the solo on this tune. Todd sounds great.

Geoff Tate QR:
I actually like this better than the preview I had heard on itunes, they have definitely fixed the mixing/production issue. Sonically, sounds great! I can see the "heavy" Tate referred to in interviews, definitely a mean crunch going on with this tune. I actually kinda like this song... solo is even better on this tune. Geoff sounds great.

Overall - two very solid songs! Maybe competition is good... we shall await the full releases now.

That Tate Ryche song is pure awful. It is the plodding midtempo crap that we have gotten from QR over the last decade or so. Plus Geoff's voice is just not enjoyable to me anymore, it really has gone down hill since HitNF. Plus that solo is so horribly out of place. It seems like they brought someone in to just do a shredding solo regardless of whether it fit the song or not.

They're different from each other...but both get the same rating from me "Not bad, not great." After all this drama, one of them is going to have to lay waste to the other musically for there to be any consensus....and this ain't doing it.

I think I said this about the last QR album that came out: If either one of these songs came out today from a brand new-to-the-scene band, I would listen and say "eh, not bad". There's nothing terrible here, but also nothing terrbily exciting and nothing to make either of them stand out.

Now, the fact that these came out with a QR name (either version), a band that reached the highest of pinnacles with genre defining albums like Rage for Order or Operation: Mindcrime . . . well, that comparison makes these songs damn awful.

Steve in Philly

P.S. - Why the hell would anyone want to hear a washed up and vocally spent Tate rerecord classic tunes with a subpar band when, at the time of recording, he was perhaps the best vocalist in all of metal?

Is it just me, or do they sound a lot alike? Either could be off Hear in the Now. So like the boss man says, the standard is just lower. Meh.

They're different from each other...but both get the same rating from me "Not bad, not great." After all this drama, one of them is going to have to lay waste to the other musically for there to be any consensus....and this ain't doing it.

Same here. The Tatesryche song was much better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty much at zero.

The Tatesryche song was much better than I expected, but my expectations were pretty much at zero.

Ditto. This is better than anything he has put out in a lot of years. If this was ALL I had heard from the album, I might actually pick it up; however, I've heard the samples and know this is far and away the best thing on the album.

Redemption sticks with me much more than Cold, and while not RfO part II, it's damn solid. Still holding out a lot of hope for that disc.

Hell, any year I can get a new Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Queensryche (too bad Crimson Glory fell off) its a good year.

I might actually skip TWO new Queensryche discs in the same year. It's not something I'm happy about, just reality. Literally a hundred or more bands have passed them by in quality and talent. Not one person here twenty years ago would have ever thought that would happen.

The Tateryche song just leaves me cold (pun sort of intended). It's a chugging, static kind of song, I'm not the kind of person who gets excited about something just because it's heavier than I expected. The heavy is there, but the whole thing falls flat. Just listen to the guitar work on "Cold". It sounds exactly like the kind of thing you hear on every singer's solo album ever. The guitars exist only to provide a background for the vocals. Take away the vocals, and you have nothing but a bitchin' solo to hold the song up, and that's not enough to build a band out of, especially when your singer's voice (the centerpiece of your single, since you have no riffs to speak of) is over a decade past its prime.

Say what you will about whether or not "Redemption" gets your neck swinging, they put more effort into their song as a complete package, and I think it will pay off when the full album comes out.

Listened to both, and to paraphrase a quote from an old Finnish philosopher, "I want my ears back!" LaTorre's QR sounds like they just walked into the studio and said "Let's record a CD" without any practice. The lyrics are meh. The music is sloppy. LaTorre was OK. But, I came close to shutting it off. Not a good debut.

As for the Tate faction: It first sounded like they fired Tate and Khan was making a comeback. Sure as hell sounded like Khan. That said, Tate was not bad. Just far from the Tate of old as you can get. This song sounds like he is trying to become a softer version of Creed and make a hit record for Top-40 radio. It is obvious that Tate just cannot really sing the great QR songs of the past, and trying to take his own career into a different direction.

That said, to paraphrase an old King of the Hill line: "It's a tie! Nobody wins!"

I opened for Geoff Tate's solo project last fall. His band website and all promotional material listed Rudy FUCKING Sarzo as his bassist. Rudy was not there. I was let down severely.

It was an uninspiring, stagnant, weak show. Half the audience left after my band performed. I had to endure Geoff's shaved armpits showing over his too-tight vest. I do not recommend any of you bother suffering through that experience.

The song "Cold" has been written, recorded and performed by thousands of bands before. There is nothing impressive, fresh, or outstanding about that song. There is nothing in that song that even reminds me of Queensryche.

My keyboardist told us about La Torre, loooong ago, when the first few bootleg videos started popping up. We all believed immediately, this was a huge upgrade for Queensryche. I do not know how Queensryche's performances match up in comparison, because they have not yet come to town for me to attend a show. I imagine I'd enjoy it more, though.