Really, really, really tiny "issue" with 'The First Chapter' ^_^

Aug 31, 2004
I was just listening to "Glory Of The Empire." And I noticed something.....

Has anyone else noticed how.....loud the fret slides on this song are. On the acoustic section at the beginning. That would be just when the guitarist slides his hand up or down quickly to go to another position on the guitar fretboard. Just second ago I skipped to like 00:26 accidentally and thought there was something wrong with my CD before I realized what it was. :lol:

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was noticing this. Is it just me, or are these a lot louder than they usually are on albums? Maybe it's just something with the way it was recorded. Anyway, excuse my babbling. :D

urinalcakemix said:
I'm gonna say their meant to be in there, their pretty progressive guitar slides, and just add more EMOTION to it.

WTF is a "progressive" guitar slide???!!! :confused:

Sounds like new strings and no Fast Fret to me! :D

Maybe they should get little microphones and mic their guitar fretboards for Prog-Power to simulate the studio experience. Would that be prog or what?....:lol:

Hey, I actually dig the sounds of an actual guitar player playing an actual guitar. It's a real, truthful, organic sound, and proves that it ain't a damned sound sample or keyboard synthesizer. Yeah, sometimes it's a bit too loud, but it's still the natural sound.

Barking Pumpkin said:
I was just listening to "Glory Of The Empire." And I noticed something.....

Has anyone else noticed how.....loud the fret slides on this song are. On the acoustic section at the beginning. That would be just when the guitarist slides his hand up or down quickly to go to another position on the guitar fretboard. Just second ago I skipped to like 00:26 accidentally and thought there was something wrong with my CD before I realized what it was. :lol:

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else was noticing this. Is it just me, or are these a lot louder than they usually are on albums? Maybe it's just something with the way it was recorded. Anyway, excuse my babbling. :D

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who noticed that...they do sound excessively loud (and I don't like that sound at all on any acoustic guitar piece).

That's probably my only gripe about the disc (and like you said, it's fairly minor)...otherwise it's one of the best discs I've bought in years....it's in the running for not only my "debut of the year" pick, but also my "CD of the year" pick.

BTW, if you're interested, there are a few "in the studio" clips of them recording the disc at http://www.circusmaximusfans.com After you click "Enter Site," go to the Multimedia section....they're fairly short, but pretty cool (and funny, in some cases). Right now there are only five clips, but it looks like they're planning to add more...hopefully soon. :)

Barking Pumpkin said:
Yes, they are, to my ears, excessively loud. You'd have to think that they wanted them in there, for whatever reason, or they would've cleaned it up a bit.

They jumped out at me immediately as well when I heard them. However, I think it adds to the warmth of the song beautifully. It's the small things like that which can really elevate a group to another level to my ears.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
They jumped out at me immediately as well when I heard them. However, I think it adds to the warmth of the song beautifully. It's the small things like that which can really elevate a group to another level to my ears.

Glenn H.
I agree with Glenn, i think they add to the song and make it more intimate. :headbang: