Rhapsody

Force10

Feb 24, 2003
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
I've seen many people with Rhapsody on their wish list of bands to see at ProgPower. I'm a big Rhapsody fan, as I find them talented and innovative, but I wonder if Rhapsody could pull off their sound in a live setting like ProgPower.

1. Their albums are highly polished and produced and sound great. Could they translate that sound to the stage?

2. Their songs often have choirs singing choruses. Will they have a small choir with them on stage? Or would they reort to "canned" choirs, which many of us I'm sure would find disappointing.

3. There's also the rumor of a drum machine being used on their albums (for those fast double-bass drums?). So could their drummer pull it off as well?

I've only read 1 review of a Rhapsody show, and it wasn't very flattering. Any other thoughts?

From what I have heard they are not the greatest live band. They use tapes for all the choirs and orchestrations, but the drummer does play everything himself. It would be interesting to see them at ProgPower since they have recorded some amazing albums (especially Legendary Tales and Symphony from Enchanted Lands).

Rhapsody fucking rule. I don't hear anyone else in the metal world writing neo-classical compositions like them. Malmsteen can go suck on his ferrari tailpipe.

It was only the first album that used a drum machine. Their best album is probably either SoEL or PotDF.

I have a live bootleg of Rhapsody playing in Madrid on their last tour, and it is INCREDIBLE (got it from thesilentenigma.com). Granted, they may be using backing tape for the 70 piece orchestras and russian choirs etc, but hey, I would not expect any independant band be able to afford to take an entire orchestra on the road with them.

Either way, Fabio Lione has an excellent live voice, and Alex Holzwarth is a great drummer (as witnessed on Avantasia too). Turilli and Staropoli are maestro supremes - some of the stuff they compose is mind boggling.

I know Glenn has tried Rhapsody before, I can only hope he tries again. I'd travel anywhere in the US to see them.

I really like them too. As long as they can sound good live playing in sync with pre-recorded background singers and music, I'm all for it.

Therion though, I would rather see with a small choir and orchestra, or a few keyboardists playing the part if none available. :) I think the vibe of that live (choir & orchestra) would be jaw-dropping.

My brother and I had the privilege of catching a show in Sweden some time ago, Opening act: Sonata Arctica 2nd: Rhapsody, Headline Statovarious. Rhapsody was supporting their Enchanted Lands CD. Pre-recorded strings could have been louder but they were incredible.
:headbang:

Force10 said:
2. Their songs often have choirs singing choruses. Will they have a small choir with them on stage? Or would they reort to "canned" choirs, which many of us I'm sure would find disappointing.

3. There's also the rumor of a drum machine being used on their albums (for those fast double-bass drums?). So could their drummer pull it off as well?

I've only read 1 review of a Rhapsody show, and it wasn't very flattering. Any other thoughts?

Wait a minute. Evergrey uses canned choirs and I don't see anyone complaining about their show. Unless you don't want to see any bands that use choirs, I'd suggest you get used to sound sampling in live shows. Very few, if any, underground/independent acts could afford to have that kind of support live. So like I said, just get used to it.

As for a drum machine being used--that sounds like misinformed nonsense. But who knows? I've heard people say they are great live, though. I wouldn't base my opinion off a single review, that's for sure.

--S

In heading over to Europe for festivals, I've been fortunate enough to see Rhapsody three times (Wacken Open Air 2000, Gods of Metal 2001, and Bang Your Head 2002). While they do use prerecorded tapes in their performance, I thought they put on a great show. The drummer cuts it live (which is impressive as it's demanding material), and Fabio and the rest of the guys sounded fantastic.

I do wish some of the other band members contributed to backing vocals, though, as I don't like to see too much emphasis on tapes. I remember being bummed years ago when I found out Queensryche uses backing vocal tapes. I was more disappointed when I saw Nightwish use backing tapes for the keyboards...and they have a keyboardist on stage! While overall Nightwish were incredible, at least a couple of times on complicated keyboard runs I was looking right at the keyboardist and his hands were NOT moving! Not impressed with that.

Anyway, back to the subject... it would be cool to see Rhapsody at ProgPower one day, but second or third on the bill (definitely not headlining - I personally don't feel they are "big" enough.

Pat

Soul_Schizm said:
As for a drum machine being used--that sounds like misinformed nonsense. But who knows? I've heard people say they are great live, though. I wouldn't base my opinion off a single review, that's for sure.

Not misinformed nonsense. Unless Rhapsody members admitting it in interviews counts as misinformed.

He said it was a rumor...if it's in print then I'd say it's more than just a rumor. I never read the music press, so I wouldn't know sorry.

I'm not sure I would do it with a drum machine though. I'd probably have the drummer play half-time and fill in the blanks with a keyed sample. But I must admit, I haven't used a drum machine in years--maybe the technology has gotten much better?

Anyway, my understanding is Holzwarth wasn't on the first album, so the point is probably moot...

I'd definitely like to see Rhapsody live--sampled vocals and all. Didn't bother me during Evergrey's set, and it wouldn't bother me during Rhapsody's either. It takes alot of resources to bring a full choir on tour, folks. People need things--like hotel rooms, plane tickets, and food. If the band simply can't pull off their chops, that's one thing. But I'm willing to forgive them for not having the resources to make every show a Broadway production.

--S

Thanks for all the good comments. I am certainly less apprehensive now about seeing Rhapsody in concert, should they play ProgPower IV (or anywhere in the USA), then when I started the thread.

No, I'm not a fan of pre-recorded stuff, but yeah, it's a fact of life.

Demonspell said:
But they don't rely heavily on massive choirs the way Rhapsody does, and their sound isn't dependent upon orchestral bombast...

I'll grant that. But now we're talking matters of degree. How should we define which bands use "too many" choirs and which don't? Certainly, it's easy to say Rhapsody is the extreme in this category. But I think it's much simpler to accept sampled vocals as a reality of a smaller band's live performance than to try and grapple with which bands should and shouldn't be able to get away with using it live. And, like it or not, we're talking about small, underground acts here. There are no Metallica's or Limp Bizquick's at PP (thank God almighty).

But then again, I don't want to speak for anyone else. I'm comfortable with sampled vocals--others may not be. Each to his/her own.

--S

Soul_Schizm said:
Anyway, my understanding is Holzwarth wasn't on the first album, so the point is probably moot...

I don't think there's been a real drummer on ANY of them. They all say "drums performed by Thunderforce" I do believe... Thunderforce = Machine.

I used to be a much bigger Rhapsody fan than I am now. Their last album was a big disappointment, and Fabio's voice keeps getting worse. Someone needs to tell him that more vibrato is not necessarily a good thing. Sounds like someone keeps whacking him in the throat while he's singing. Because of my newfound lack of interest in Rhapsody, I find Luca Turilli's stuff to be very refreshing. Better melodies and harmonies, and much better vocals. What Rhapsody should sound like, in my opinion.