Roy says hello to the doubters...

Wow, didn't recognize him at all. Gotta agree, he left poorly, but it's his life. There will always be more vocalist ready to shoulder the metal mantle.

I fuckin love Manowar up to 1988. Say, anyone hear the story about how Twisted Sister publicly challenged Manowar to a fight in front of lots of press folks and Manowar backed out? Awesome shit. Gotta love the 80's
I never heard that story. When I Googled it, the first hit was an interview with Eric Adams from 1986.

According to the official TWISTED SISTER biography...

Eric: Haha, I know it's coming, I know what's coming! (laughs)

... rumors say that TWISTED SISTER challenged you, MANOWAR, and HANOI ROCKS for a street fight back in '83 - was it in the UK?

Eric: (giggles like crazy) Here's the deal. At this time I think TWISTED SISTER just needed some press and they came up with this – this never happened! (laughs) I've never met those guys! I don't know what they're talking about. The optimum word here is ”rumor”, but it's a good one – it's been around for years!

Damn Straight.

anthology-by-manowar.jpg

This has to be the worst album cover of all time...literally! :ill: Also, in a brawl, my money would go with Twisted Sister...especially Mark Mendoza...I think he is boarderline crazy. LOL According to Dee, Mark brought a gun to their reunion rehersals just in case Dee got out of line. Now that my friends falls underneath the category of crazy! LOL

~Brian~

This is the jist of what I was thinking too. How are we supposed to place merit in the judgmental wardrobe opinions of a band that wore leather bondage harnesses and loin cloths? If Manowar's music and image is somehow the standard by which "true" "non-poser" metal is to be measured, I think I may need to retire from my fandom of the genre.:heh:

You have to understand that Manowar came from an era win which rock star and bands did dress up, the Dolls, KISS, Alice Cooper, Thor, Zolar X, Twisted Sister, etc it was part of what was happening and what you did. None of these guys were being posers to "fit in". Something about fake tats and now topped with a wig just seems a little poser-ish to me, and Roy even pretty much admits it.

If I remember correctly, it's been a while since I read it, but Jay Jay French talks about it in the NY Metal special in Chips & Beer #3.
I have that issue, it's actually in the Ross the Boss interview!

Zod: Funny how the stories vary. Ross the Boss says that Joey said something to piss Twisted Sister off in an interview, but doesn't know what was said exactly. Ross ended up making the apology because apparently he used to jam with some members of Twisted Sister when he played in The Dictators. Funny shit.

Zod: Funny how the stories vary. Ross the Boss says that Joey said something to piss Twisted Sister off in an interview, but doesn't know what was said exactly. Ross ended up making the apology because apparently he used to jam with some members of Twisted Sister when he played in The Dictators. Funny shit.
That's interesting. I had never heard anything about that before today.

With the leather speedo picture posted above.

I don't care what anyone says, that picture makes Manowar's "true-metalism" crumble.

Is it any cheesier or homoerotic than Judas Priest in the early 80s? Both were pretty terrible and pretty "gay", on just just became the uniform of the sub-culture.
I could see the argument of Manowar going with a Robert E. Howard influenced look as being more "metal" than one influenced by Glenn Hughes, certainly more "manly" (using that term loosely).

Last minute merch table idea: Progpower 2013 fake tat sleeves. I'd rock em.
If you're handy you could probably figure out a way to make an iron on transfer of this years graphic onto some nude nylon pantyhose. Sell for 20 bucks... ???? Profit!

You are comparing apples and oranges sir. It's all an act/schtick and a production with Ghost. With this tattoo shirt, it was Khan or Khan's band trying to make him look more metal. There's a big difference.

Honestly, I don't blame Khan at all. I blame Thomas Y and metal fans in general for putting too much emphasis on a metal "look".

I don't give a rat's ass what the performers *look* like. As long as the songs are awesome, the performance is awesome, and the band is really INTO what they're doing, they could be wearing anything from shorts and a T-shirt, full leather biker gear, to tuxedos, with or without tattoos, etc, and I truly couldn't care less.

And especially, expecting a performer to permanently modify their body (tattoos, piercings, etc) to appease the fans' expectation of a band member's appearance is absurd, IMHO.

Craig

Honestly, I don't blame Khan at all. I blame Thomas Y and metal fans in general for putting too much emphasis on a metal "look".

I don't give a rat's ass what the performers *look* like. As long as the songs are awesome, the performance is awesome, and the band is really INTO what they're doing, they could be wearing anything from shorts and a T-shirt, full leather biker gear, to tuxedos, with or without tattoos, etc, and I truly couldn't care less.

And especially, expecting a performer to permanently modify their body (tattoos, piercings, etc) to appease the fans' expectation of a band member's appearance is absurd, IMHO.

Craig

Yeah I'm sure the D&D dorks who listen to Kamelot held Khan down and forced him to wear fake tattoos.

(For the record I think The Black Halo is a top 5 power metal album)

Last minute merch table idea: Progpower 2013 fake tat sleeves. I'd rock em.
If you're handy you could probably figure out a way to make an iron on transfer of this years graphic onto some nude nylon pantyhose. Sell for 20 bucks... ???? Profit!

That is funny because I was thinking this about ten minutes ago, or getting tat sleeves under a kamelot shirt.