Showcase announcement. 1st 3 bands!!!!

That is an interesting thought. Ihsahn seems pretty far off the radar for the typical Prog Power fan though.

Personally I only really like about 1/2 of Ihsahn's material overall, but I quite enjoy the angl disc.

Britt

I would definitely be stoked about it, and from a financial standpoint it would be the best time to bring Ihsahn over since Leprous is his backing band for his European shows.

Interested to find out whot he headliner is.

Leprous! Freakin' awesome!

I guess I wasn't the only one thinking about Ishan also.

I'm also digging the Borealis and Six Minute Century picks also!

Now I just hope a proposed trip to Japan during the first 2 weeks of September for work don't happen. Kind of worried about that......

While I would be quite pleased with Vanden Plas as the headliner, I have to wonder if their past cancellations create a barrier. I obviously can't speak for Shane, but I'd scared to build a card with Vanden Plas as the primary draw.

They are a festival favorite. The only barrier I could see is that their past visa issues may prevent Glenn or Shane from betting on them being able to make it into the country, especially with the current very tough immigration standards.

Glenn telling Zod not to worry is making ME worry. ;( Unless of course, its Vanden Plas again. Or a cruel cruel joke and its actually PAIN OF SALVATION :kickass:

Leprous is gonna be awesome.

Pain Of Salvation playing would be an ATL Miracle :worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:

Logistically, Vanden Plas: Booked twice, canceled twice (to no fault of those involved, i'm sure), major draw announcements both times. What sense would it make to have them Headline and hang your hat on it with all of the problems that have gone on in the past? Can you imagine the creditability hit you'd take if you attempted this and failed?

If Ihsahn is booked...I would think it's the best chance I ever have of hearing an Emperor song on the ProgPower stage. Unless Oceans of Sadness wants to do something to make me smile.

I mean, hell...we heard Crystal Mountain one year (to the chagrin of prog pusses in the audience)...why not I Am the Black Wizards or Thus Spake the Nightspirit?

Very nice lineup. Looking forward to it!

Next up... Headliner:

BLIND GUARDIAN

Though Evergrey, Nevermore, Symphony X, or Vanden Plas would be welcome headliners

Wow! Not familiar with any of these bands. I have heard of SMC, but not heard them. Guess it is time to change that! They all sounds intriguing though.

I have no inside info on this, but I seriously doubt we will ever see Vanden Plas again! IMO, the visa issues and canceling out multiple times would be enough for me to never risk that again! Glenn and Shane are smart guys and I don't think they are trying to have a stress induced heart attack by taking on that challenge again!

Symphony X or Evergrey would be good guesses though. I suspect it will be someone a bit bigger since the other 3 aren't. Its been a while since either of those bands played the show - especially SyX!

I was hoping for Leprous for the regular fest so this is awesome. A lot of the ideas everyone is saying would make this amazing. I loved Sabaton but I could probably have year off of them to get me more excited to see them again. I wouldn't even mind some of the bands that might tour a bit more so that they could have the kind of set they deserve that this kind of show would allow (Edguy, Symphony X, Nevermore). In my perfect world it would be Ihsahn or Pain of Salvation.

That is an interesting thought. Ihsahn seems pretty far off the radar for the typical Prog Power fan though.

Personally I only really like about 1/2 of Ihsahn's material overall, but I quite enjoy the angl disc.

Britt

Yeah as much as I love Ihsahn, he's not gonna pull THAT many people in. He'd make more sense one year for mid-week mayhem or an earlier slot on Friday or Saturday.

I think hands down you pretty much have to assume this is going to be a power metal band, because otherwise this would be a prog-only show. In that case I'm thinking Epica (I could be off though since they're on tour). Actually now that I'm thinking of it, the one that makes the most sense would be Jon Oliva's Pain. While it's prog, it's the type of prog that appeals to power metal fans. There. That's my pick. I think people thinking it's Nevermore are crazy. Considering how many times they've pulled out, I highly doubt they'll do it.

Did everyone forget about Glenn's "they'll be back" statement at X? I'm thinking it will be Sabaton.
You very well may be right. However, I'd really like to see a year of distance between returns. Aside from the fact that I personally find it difficult to get pumped about bands returning two years in a row, it seems difficult for these bands to deliver the same intensity.

Nevermore
Vanden Plas
Volbeat

Yeah as much as I love Ihsahn, he's not gonna pull THAT many people in. He'd make more sense one year for mid-week mayhem or an earlier slot on Friday or Saturday.
Keep in mind, promoting the Thursday show is very different than promoting some one off, on a June day in Atlanta. You essentially have a captive audience (all the people who have traveled here). And, you have a compelling social aspect, for people who aren't all that interested in the bands. Now add into that equation, that Ihsahn would also draw from a demographic (Black Metal fans) that typically does not attend ProgPower. While I'm not expecting such an announcement, I don't think a lack of draw would be the issue.

Zod