Showcase announcement. 1st 3 bands!!!!

If you're talking about big name headliner, why the hell do you only one (maybe two) headlining caliber bands on the list? :lol:

Freedom Call headlining? Come on now. :lol: That's like saying North Korea is a strong contender to win this year's World Cup.

I only saw one, Blind Guardian.

If you're talking about big name headliner, why the hell do you only one (maybe two) headlining caliber bands on the list? :lol:

Freedom Call headlining? Come on now. :lol: That's like saying North Korea is a strong contender to win this year's World Cup.

roflcopter9grpm2.png

That's what I thought initially, but figured Sabaton could be a headlining simply based on the "Returning to next year's showcase" game.

But truly, only BG, yes.

As I've said before I doubt Sabaton will be the band. Too soon and I think for them to return, they'll headline the main fest. Also, Glenn never said they would come back next year. He just said they'll be back. They're definitely a headliner.

As I've said before I doubt Sabaton will be the band. Too soon and I think for them to return, they'll headline the main fest. Also, Glenn never said they would come back next year. He just said they'll be back. They're definitely a headliner.

According to how Glenn and Shane typically did (not as a rule, though) is to bring back one of the public's favorites from the year before to headline the showcase. Based on this "game", it would not be too soon for Sabaton to headline. If anything, they'd headline the showcase BEFORE they headline the main fest. I think for them to headline the main fest may be a little too soon, actually. They're not a headliner yet. Definitely not, based on the fact that they don't have a big following in the USA. You need two big names to headline a fest and bring in a lot of people (including the people who aren't your average ProgPower attendees; the ones who would attend the fest based on the headliner alone).

According to how Glenn and Shane typically did (not as a rule, though) is to bring back one of the public's favorites from the year before to headline the showcase. Based on this "game", it would not be too soon for Sabaton to headline. If anything, they'd headline the showcase BEFORE they headline the main fest.

That's exactly how I 'read' the situation, too. From last year's lineup, if they use the same strategy, Sabaton would be it.

I think for them to headline the main fest may be a little too soon, actually. They're not a headliner yet. Definitely not, based on the fact that they don't have a big following in the USA. You need two big names to headline a fest and bring in a lot of people (including the people who aren't your average ProgPower attendees; the ones who would attend the fest based on the headliner alone).

Yep. I'd expect them to headline the Showcase this year, skip a year while their fan-base here grows (which it probably would, since this happens often with bands who debut at PP) and then bring them back as a headliner in 2012.

Just in time for the world's crust to fracture and armageddon to take place. :heh:

Do you want me to be very unrealistic and throw out some huge names for the list?
OK.

Halford
Bruce Dickinson
Blaze Bayley
Manowar
Labyrinth
Rhapsody Of Fire
King's X
Loudness
Riot

I'd be shickled titless if any of those were to be named as the headliner, but let's face the facts, it ain't happening!

That's exactly how I 'read' the situation, too. From last year's lineup, if they use the same strategy, Sabaton would be it.

Yep. I'd expect them to headline the Showcase this year, skip a year while their fan-base here grows (which it probably would, since this happens often with bands who debut at PP) and then bring them back as a headliner in 2012.

Just in time for the world's crust to fracture and armageddon to take place. :heh:

That is exactly why I included Sabaton in my initial list. It makes a lot of sense popularity-wise and financially-speaking and is a very easy choice to make, all things considered. I wouldn't be at all surprised or disappointed if Sabaton is picked to headline the Showcase. They kicked ass last year!:headbang:

Iron Savior would depress me. They're nothing more than Judas Priest wannabees and bad ones at that. I couldn't handle their set at IX. I'd still go but would probably leave after Leprous.

Your negative attitude regarding Iron Savior was very insightful. I have gone from enjoying them immensely to hating them with the burning passion of syphilis, all because you've opened my eyes.

This would be awesome as they're one of my favorite new to me bands I've gotten into recently. However, they wouldn't really fit here in this festival. While they can be considered prog (though not as much anymore), I just have a feeling a lot of the fans here wouldn't get into them.

Your negative attitude regarding Iron Savior was very insightful. I have gone from enjoying them immensely to hating them with the burning passion of syphilis, all because you've opened my eyes.

There set was one of my faves at Progpower IX.I'm easy to win over when you sound like Judas Priest,one of my favorite bands of all time.But I certainly understand people that aren't a fan of that.I guess I'm "stuck in the 80's" for the most part as society likes to claim.

I personally will accept nothing less than Lady Gaga.

Only if she's double-headlining with Iron Maiden.

Realisitically?

Epica is popular enough that they might be headline material for the showcase. And I REALLY like the new album. It's so much better than their previous material, and I even like the first two albums quite a bit. :)

Epica is so big they can almost get 50 people to show up to their shows in the U.S. They are much bigger in Europe. There are so few bands big enough in the U.S. that qualify for this fest. I think Shane should continue to reach beyond the DT-progmetal bands and the Helloween-powermetal bands, and get some from the other genres that have a foot in one or both of those pools yet have success in the U.S.

Epica is so big they can almost get 50 people to show up to their shows in the U.S. They are much bigger in Europe. There are so few bands big enough in the U.S. that qualify for this fest. I think Shane should continue to reach beyond the DT-progmetal bands and the Helloween-powermetal bands, and get some from the other genres that have a foot in one or both of those pools yet have success in the U.S.

What are you talking about? From everything I've heard, at least in the major areas of the states, they've been getting good crowds. That's actually why I don't think they'll be doing the showcase because they've already been around once this year. Though, I wouldn't mind as it was bad timing when they were here in Chicago.

Last time they were here their audience was small. Not sure how well this tour is doing. I likely won't be at their Atlanta show this Sunday.

Based on this: http://www.sounds2move.de/Stories/Epica_NorthAmerica-2010/Epica-USA-Diary-2010_main.htm

It sounds like the tour is going very well for the most part, with a huge range in attendance (probably based on fan support for the supporting bands, and how much promotion occurs). Good for them. They've been working really hard.