Showcase announcement. 1st 3 bands!!!!

I like Sabaton, but I would prefer to see them back as a near headliner .. after they release another disc or two. I don't like the idea of immediately bringing bands back the following year. There are still tons & tons of bands who have not played the fest once. So yeah .. bring Sabaton back .. just do it after they release some new material or something.
Britt

Sabaton have almost finished their new album "Coat of Arms" which should be out, I'm guessing, by this summer!

I've been kinda lurking in this thread for a while and I agree with many on their points. Blind Guardian do have a new CD in the works, but they are huge enough to headline the whole fest, so I do not think they will be the showcase headliner. Volbeat is awesome, and certainly could headline (remember how many people said that Freak Kitchen couldn't pull of a headlining set?), but their commitment strength comes into question after their last booking for the fest. I love Sabaton and wouldn't mind seeing them as headliner. I also think Nevermore would slay, and I'm personally hoping for them as I have never gotten to see them headline a show. Also, what about Devin Townsend? I just saw him open for Between the Buried and Me and Cynic and he totally stole the show. Plus, if he did a career retrospective of sorts (solo + SYL + Vai, etc) He would have plenty of material. Just a thought...

This would be awesome as they're one of my favorite new to me bands I've gotten into recently. However, they wouldn't really fit here in this festival. While they can be considered prog (though not as much anymore), I just have a feeling a lot of the fans here wouldn't get into them.

The above is a reference to King's X being on someone's list, just being too lazy to set the post correctly :bah:

I think King's X would be a cool option exactly because we don't get many bands like that. Enchant filling in for Vanden Plas last year didn't look like they would quite gel either but I found their set to be one of my favorites (how about bringing them back in some future year?)

Of course I'd really like Communic and that has nothing to do with the fact Dwey Prime is playing in my headphones while I type this :rolleyes:

I like Sabaton, but I would prefer to see them back as a near headliner .. after they release another disc or two. I don't like the idea of immediately bringing bands back the following year. There are still tons & tons of bands who have not played the fest once. So yeah .. bring Sabaton back .. just do it after they release some new material or something.

They actually would have new material by then. Though, I still want to wait another year or so to see them.

I've been kinda lurking in this thread for a while and I agree with many on their points. Blind Guardian do have a new CD in the works, but they are huge enough to headline the whole fest, so I do not think they will be the showcase headliner. Volbeat is awesome, and certainly could headline (remember how many people said that Freak Kitchen couldn't pull of a headlining set?), but their commitment strength comes into question after their last booking for the fest. I love Sabaton and wouldn't mind seeing them as headliner. I also think Nevermore would slay, and I'm personally hoping for them as I have never gotten to see them headline a show. Also, what about Devin Townsend? I just saw him open for Between the Buried and Me and Cynic and he totally stole the show. Plus, if he did a career retrospective of sorts (solo + SYL + Vai, etc) He would have plenty of material. Just a thought...

I don't agree with your first part, as I believe just for example that bands like Helloween and Primal Fear could headline the main fest as well but have headlined the Thursday night show the last two years. Yes I know the Helloween one was part of a travelling packaged tour but still. In a separate thread about a week or so ago, there was talk about Blind Guardian doing a US tour in the fall, which would make it possible for them to play the Showcase.

I would love to see Nevermore, but like everyone says, with their past pulling out, I doubt it will happen.

As for Devin Townsend, I would be VERY happy if he were to headline. However, Thursday night already has 3 prog bands and I doubt they have the Showcase all prog. Another thing about your prospective retrospective career, he won't do it. He's stated time and time again he'll NEVER play SYL and I doubt he'd want to play Vai as well. Plus, the SYL stuff might be a little too heavy for this fest. haha.

I think it's somewhat hilarious that people are saying "Oh, well they already have two female-fronted bands at the fest proper, so another one wouldn't bring anything new to the table." Who cares? The fest is domated by male-fronted bands anyway, just like the entire genre of metal. Another female-fronted band would certainly balance things out, which is also a complaint I see on here a lot "It needs to be more balanced!" :p

Though it would be pretty cool if they got a female-fronted band that hasn't played before, to kind of stick with that theme (LE and Delain have never played the fest before.) Though off the top of my head I can't think of any. Floor's new project would be cool, but I'm not sure it would have the drawing power.

Edit:
Nevermind, Shane should just get Steel Panther. :D

I think it's somewhat hilarious that people are saying...
People?

..."Oh, well they already have two female-fronted bands at the fest proper, so another one wouldn't bring anything new to the table." Who cares?
I suspect Glenn and Shane do. Glenn has always talked about finding the right balance, in an attempt to maximize the festival's draw. For whatever reason, it would seem that the audience for female-fronted bands tends to be shared amongst those bands. It's almost like it's its own sub-genre. Granted, this isn't based on any statistical analysis, just personal observation. However, people do tend to categorize bands as much by vocal style as musical style (at least within limited parameters).

The fest is domated by male-fronted bands anyway, just like the entire genre of metal.
The genre tends to attract a male audience and male musicians. It always has, such is its nature.

Another female-fronted band would certainly balance things out, which is also a complaint I see on here a lot "It needs to be more balanced!" :p
I don't suspect gender balance (among their line up) is something promoters strive for. If Shane and Glenn think Epica's addition would be a positive one to the overall line-up, I suspect they'll be considered. However, for the reasons I stated, I would bet against it.

The point...you missed it. But I don't care enough to elaborate, since it doesn't really matter in the long run. I'm just going to loudly and pointlessly wish for Steel Panther at this point. It's about as useful as the wishes and arguments already in this thread :saint:

Steel Panther!

I don't know what the point was either, but I would be A-OK if Prog Power/Showcase/Mid Week Whatever never added another female fronted band to the bill. I can't think of a single one that rates among my favorite bands. I guess Draconian would be my favorite, but even at that there is a lot of beast element to offset the female singing. Epica has that required beast element I need, but I have never heard anything from them that has caught my attention. I have heard their new disc is quite a jump up though.

Britt

the whole 'female-fronted' thing is interesting. In the UK I think the only bands that could headline gigs (and draw a decent crowd) would be Nightwish, Within temptation, Lacuna Coil, Epica (possibly) and Arch Enemy. There are certainly up and coming bands like Touchstone and Breathing Space and recent prog favourites, Mostly Autumn, but these are pure prog and appeal to a certain audience.

Me, I'm not bothered about the gender! I'm hoping it's someone I havnt seen and preferably loud and heavy, but thats just me haha!

I don't know what the point was either, but I would be A-OK if Prog Power/Showcase/Mid Week Whatever never added another female fronted band to the bill. I can't think of a single one that rates among my favorite bands. I guess Draconian would be my favorite, but even at that there is a lot of beast element to offset the female singing. Epica has that required beast element I need, but I have never heard anything from them that has caught my attention. I have heard their new disc is quite a jump up though.
I'm with you. I love Floor's voice, but I'm not a fan of After Forever. Nightwish had their moments (when Tarja was in the band), but they never really excited me. Epica, Leaves Eyes, Delain, etc., just aren't my cup of tea. There's only been three female-fronted Metal bands who have held my interested in the slightest...

Lacuna Coil... strong song writing and a unique style.

Sinergy... Kimberly Goss sings with more balls than most men.

Amaran... very powerful Metal, and the amazing vocals of Johanna De Pierre.

Zod

I'm with you. I love Floor's voice, but I'm not a fan of After Forever. Nightwish had their moments (when Tarja was in the band), but they never really excited me. Epica, Leaves Eyes, Delain, etc., just aren't my cup of tea. There's only been three female-fronted Metal bands who have held my interested in the slightest...

Lacuna Coil... strong song writing and a unique style.

Sinergy... Kimberly Goss sings with more balls than most men.

Amaran... very powerful Metal, and the amazing vocals of Johanna De Pierre.

Zod

Have you listend to Crimfall?
"The Crown of Treason" in particular made this the #1 release of last year for me.