So uh...I saw Anthrax play a three-song set tonight...

Kaosaur

Apr 8, 2006
Bluffton, SC
...I know I'm not going to fall asleep tonight unless I write about this disaster somewhere...forgive what's going to turn into an angry rant...

So, Red Bull and New York City gvmt got together to put on a free-to-attend, all-day snowboarding tournament followed up by a performance by Anthrax in East River Park on the Lower East Side. To my knowledge, this is the first event of its kind for my city...and a free performance by a once mega-famous hometown band sounded like a wicked treat.

A free show? In a huge venue? In my hometown? And it's fucking Anthrax? Hell yeah I'm there! What could go wrong!?

Heh. I'll start off with the good, what little there ended up being:
- Anthrax sounded, I shit you not, fucking amazing! Because of the way the event was organized, they had no soundcheck...that said, all the mics dropped out halfway though Chuck D's surprise cameo with the band.
- Yeah, I just fucking said it. Chuck D. When would you figure you'd ever see that happen again?
- Attendance. There was a reasonable sized crowd here. At least half of which I'd say were the kind of people I wouldn't mind seeing shows with again. There were a surprising number of normal, well-adjusted grownups at this show who were not drunk and rowdy and had a genuine interest in seeing the band. It wasn't even a sausage party either, I'd say it was a pretty even mix of people.

Unfortunately that's where the good ends and where I start to rant a little...I'll start with the minor annoyances and rage at the end:
- Cold. Okay, we all see the weather and know it's at a venue on the water and it's 15 degrees out...I was dressed warmly enough. Lots of other people didn't seem to be.
- Scheduling. Anthrax posted on their site that they'd be going on at 7. Red Bull said Anthrax would be going on at 9. Time the band actually started? 9:50. While there were snowboarding events going on until maybe 20 minutes before the band started, it seemed like they were dragging those on longer to fill time rather than be running late.
- Security. Red Bull had woefully inadequate event security. Around the stage, behind the fence, there were 4 security guards basically keeping the vips from getting rowdy. The sea of 700 or so people sticking around for an Anthrax "concert"? Nothing. Outside of the park there were HEAVY patrols by NYPD. More on this later.
- Red Bull. For the two reasons above and the one following this, RB really dropped the ball for this event. What seemed like could be an awesome recurring winter gig turned into utter, uncontrollable chaos likely to make the City Commissioner strongly rethink his position on this next year.

- RANT ALERT: STEREOTYPICAL DOUCHEBAG METALHEADS AND THUGS. There, it felt good to say that. Wow, where do I get started? So...I knew things were going to be interesting when I walked by the massive NYPD presence to get into the park and saw drug and alcohol busts happening EVERYWHERE. Big groups of teens were getting busted for pot smoking and drinking in public. They couldn't keep those party buses coming enough to handle the load.
Then getting into the crowd and seeing a substantial number of kids (16-25) dressed in sleeveless denim jackets wearing headbands and studded and patched to the gills. It's 15 degrees outside and we're on the water and there's a good 50 or so of these idiots...things are gonna get ugly...
So here's how they compensated for losing all that body heat to the cold: Beating the shit out of anyone and everyone. This wasn't a pit. I'm not being a pussy. There was all-out brawling going on in the crowd. People were hitting each other with liquor bottles, people were getting jumped and stomped out by groups of thugs... It was an abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous mess.
NYPD took one look at what was going on and decided they didn't have the manpower to control the situation...so they told everyone to pack up and go home. After three songs.

Yep, asshole, douchebag, meathead metalheads ruined what would was supposed to be a unique and special night of metal...one sanctioned and encouraged and heavily promoted by the City of New York. This is what the "local scene" is like here. This is what I'm so fucking sick of... ...and I know that because of the antics of tonight, something like this will never happen again. Not for a long damned time.

Metal (at least here) needs an image makeover. I really wish I could just snuff the life out of the overwhelming majority of assholes here (I know who most of the offenders are, unfortunately...and it's well represented by local show regulars.) who are making it impossible to simply just ENJOY MUSIC.

FUCK!!!

...A free show? In a huge venue? In my hometown? And it's fucking Anthrax? Hell yeah I'm there! What could go wrong!?!! <<SNIP>>

Hell, I would have dragged my old ass out in the cold for something like this. I'm sooooo sick of these assholes wrecking cool shows. They don't observe any of the old school mosher's unwritten rules, not to mention the thuggery you witnessed. I ended up in an ER the day after one of SY-X's shows by the same like minded fuckwits who just HAD to mosh to "The Odyssey". Your description makes this event obviously sound MUCH worse than what I experienced. I have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior. If I'm going to miss a show due to pissing blood, or having to fight, I swear to God, I'm taking at least one with me. Someone's going to lose an eye, a testicle, and/or a few teeth. I'm not kidding either. I don't mind a little rowdiness at a show, but if people are going to be beating each other with bottles & shit, I want no part of it. Your show could have been really cool, I'm sorry to hear it ended the way it did. Maybe when things get bad enough here in this country, we can hope for an open season or a bounty on fucktards.

Kaosaur, I'm sorry to hear about this for you. When I read the title of your thread, I was afraid you were going to say Anthrax sucked! As for these jackasses at the show, there's not much you can do with them. I think at times, that's why metal packages can be so expensive i.e. The Metal Masters Tour. It might weed out some of this shit, but who knows. (shrugs)

~Brian~

Yep, asshole, douchebag, meathead metalheads ruined what would was supposed to be a unique and special night of metal...
I'd be curious to know how many of them were "Metalheads" and how many of them are actually fans of Hardcore, Metalcore and Punk.

Metal (at least here) needs an image makeover. I really wish I could just snuff the life out of the overwhelming majority of assholes here (I know who most of the offenders are, unfortunately...and it's well represented by local show regulars.) who are making it impossible to simply just ENJOY MUSIC.
Again... I think what you're seeing is the result of promoters cross-promoting Metal & Metalcore, over the last five years, in an attempt to fill venues. Unfortunately, the brats who use to be confined to Metalcore shows, have been turned on to the Metal scene. They now view Metal shows as another place to release their teenage angst. Personally, I try to just take it all in calmly. I still stand on the back edge of the pit (as it's the best view in the house), with a look on my face that says, "If I get caught by one of your flailing body parts, I'm going to throw you through the f**king floor."

Zod

I'd be curious to know how many of them were "Metalheads" and how many of them are actually fans of Hardcore, Metalcore and Punk.

Again... I think what you're seeing is the result of promoters cross-promoting Metal & Metalcore, over the last five years, in an attempt to fill venues. Unfortunately, the brats who use to be confined to Metalcore shows, have been turned on to the Metal scene. They now view Metal shows as another place to release their teenage angst. Personally, I try to just take it all in calmly. I still stand on the back edge of the pit (as it's the best view in the house), with a look on my face that says, "If I get caught by one of your flailing body parts, I'm going to throw you through the f**king floor."

Zod

You know, as I thought about this some more I came to the exact conclusion you did. I'd say there were a decent number of those asshats in the crowd...but there were way more of the people I know from all of the local metal shows who are 80s Thrash and that's it...

Every time I go to a show around Detroit, ESPECIALLY HARPO'S, I pack a blade on me. Either a regular steel blade, or my black resin X-ray proof boot stabber.

But if your description is correct, that probably wouldn't have been enough to make it out of that chaotic mess unscathed.

Note taken: If I ever see a metal show in NYC, pack something and be ready to kill to survive.

Every time I go to a show around Detroit, ESPECIALLY HARPO'S, I pack a blade on me. Either a regular steel blade, or my black resin X-ray proof boot stabber.

But if your description is correct, that probably wouldn't have been enough to make it out of that chaotic mess unscathed.

Note taken: If I ever see a metal show in NYC, pack something and be ready to kill to survive.

Wow! I think I'll just stick with seeing metal shows in Asheville, North Carolina thank you. Apparently, we're pretty tame down here. :lol:

~Brian~

I'm sure hoping that Scion Rock Fest is successful and not all rowdy or douchebaggy. Like it probably will be. But that lineup is so fucking killer.

Too bad I didn't sign up fast enough to get a ticket. Would have loved to see Tyr, Suidakra, Alestorm and a couple other bands on the list. Oh well. But yes, I expect a lot of douchebaggery. Always is at the Masquerade when any black/death/core bands play.

Sorry this happened, but what did you honestly expect?
A good 85% (literally) of the crowd there would not pay $10 to see ANTHRAX play their own show at a club. Therefore, what do they care if they ruin it for those who truly wanted to see the band play. It's all about, "Hey man! I am going to see a METAL show!!! Let's go in the pit dude!!!"

Cool idea, but I think it was doomed from the start.

What three songs did ANTHRAX play?

Oldschool thrash and hardcore fans from the NY area should not be included in the "metal scene". Period. They're assholes, and love acting like animals.

Just go to any oldschool thrash or hardcore concert in Brooklyn, and you will see. It's a fucking mess.

Too bad I didn't sign up fast enough to get a ticket. Would have loved to see Tyr, Suidakra, Alestorm and a couple other bands on the list. Oh well.

Same here.

But yes, I expect a lot of douchebaggery. Always is at the Masquerade when any black/death/core bands play.

Well, maybe for -core bands, but the moshing and crowds are better/more controlled for entirely black- and death-metal shows there.

and people wondered why Disney had House of Blues cancel thier metal shows a few years back?

It is funny....Red Bull sponsors those Flutag events, where they run boats off the pier and into the water. I went to it in Chicago over the summer. No one expected it to be so crowded. From what reports said afterwards...they expected like 3,000 at most. What turned out was close to 25,000. It was so out of hand. They only had one entrance into the park. If you were drinking you were put into this huge fenced area. It started late...supposed to be 11:00, started closer to noon. So people were there since 10 when the gates opened and started drinking...it was a nice day too...about 85 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Once the first boat was dropped, people started getting out of hand. They totally cut off the sales of beer. The crowd got really mad. Then with the only 1 exit to leave...people tried hopping over the makeshift fences. The security for this event had no skills on crowd control. It was like a mass prison break. As one guy wold try and climb over...security would rush to grab them....10 others would climb over. I had more fun watching this than the real event. Then they decided it would be smart to have the workers bring back al the beer to the trucks....so you are bringing cold beer through an angry crowd who were just told..no more beer. Some biker guys stopped this one poor little guy and surrounded him. They even offered money to him to pay for it...he couldnt sell it. It got to the point where they were nicely saying they were going to beat him. It was nuts the way people acted. We left a little before it was over because we knew with one exit....it would be chaos.

The moral to the story....any free event that is not well planned out...it will have it's share of trouble. People generally suck...metalheads or not. They see these events as a free for all. While all these events could have been handled great and in the next year it would be something to look forward too...well not anymore. While it sucks having dick security...it is a needed thing at certain events like this. Goes to show you how mature our society is.

and people wondered why Disney had House of Blues cancel thier metal shows a few years back?

It is funny....Red Bull sponsors those Flutag events, where they run boats off the pier and into the water. I went to it in Chicago over the summer. No one expected it to be so crowded. From what reports said afterwards...they expected like 3,000 at most. What turned out was close to 25,000. It was so out of hand. They only had one entrance into the park. If you were drinking you were put into this huge fenced area. It started late...supposed to be 11:00, started closer to noon. So people were there since 10 when the gates opened and started drinking...it was a nice day too...about 85 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Once the first boat was dropped, people started getting out of hand. They totally cut off the sales of beer. The crowd got really mad. Then with the only 1 exit to leave...people tried hopping over the makeshift fences. The security for this event had no skills on crowd control. It was like a mass prison break. As one guy wold try and climb over...security would rush to grab them....10 others would climb over. I had more fun watching this than the real event. Then they decided it would be smart to have the workers bring back al the beer to the trucks....so you are bringing cold beer through an angry crowd who were just told..no more beer. Some biker guys stopped this one poor little guy and surrounded him. They even offered money to him to pay for it...he couldnt sell it. It got to the point where they were nicely saying they were going to beat him. It was nuts the way people acted. We left a little before it was over because we knew with one exit....it would be chaos.

The moral to the story....any free event that is not well planned out...it will have it's share of trouble. People generally suck...metalheads or not. They see these events as a free for all. While all these events could have been handled great and in the next year it would be something to look forward too...well not anymore. While it sucks having dick security...it is a needed thing at certain events like this. Goes to show you how mature our society is.

Well...it seemed the snowboarding part of the event went smoothly. *shrug* I hear what you're saying though.

To answer ratanda's question, Dan Nelson is the current singer for Anthrax.

Anywho, it's moments like these to which most conservatives point when they want to "expose the evils of heavy metal." I'm embarrassed by the tomfoolery of these folks.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert