Solid 08 releases so far

just picked up Magica-Hereafter, released 6/10/08. I actually think this is a 2007 release but just came out in the states...either way, its new to me :heh:

awesome female fronted symphonic metal :headbang:

I am not sure if there are any other Shinedown fans on here, but I think they are one of the best mainstream bands, they are right there with Alter Bridge, and I didn't even know they had a new one coming in a week or two, but I heard it this morning, and I think it is going to be my favorite mainstream cd this year right next to Disturbed.

Master of Puppets is easily the most classic of all Metalica albums, period!
MoP FTW!!! I can't believe some of the blasphemy I've read here! lol!! Put yourself in 1985 and imagine hearing the MoP album for the first time -- it is clearly one of the most important releases of its time and has had a tremendous impact on pretty much everything we listen to today (in the metal/power metal/prog metal vein).

And for the record, I can imagine the scenario above. I remember walking a mile to the record store the day MoP came out, buying it and going back home to put that bad boy on! Holy shit! I may not spin it much these days, but it was an integral part of influencing metal bands forever.

OK... you've piqued my curiosity on that Humanoid disc. What is it like?

Zod

It's the solo album of Augury's guitarist Mathieu Marcotte; it's an instrumental acoustic album that is, I suppose, continuously engaging and focused more around songwriting and the creation of atmosphere than instrumental showmanship.

The album consists of Mat on electric guitar, 12 acoustic guitar and classical guitar; he also makes use of guitar synths and has guest appearances on bass by Dominic Lapointe (Quo Vadis, Atheretic, Augury) and Chaoth (Unexpect), as well as samples that contribute to the spacey/'cosmic' atmosphere the whole album gives off.

With all that said, the samples should speak for themselves: http://www.myspace.com/humanoidofficial

MoP FTW!!! I can't believe some of the blasphemy I've read here! lol!! Put yourself in 1985 and imagine hearing the MoP album for the first time -- it is clearly one of the most important releases of its time and has had a tremendous impact on pretty much everything we listen to today (in the metal/power metal/prog metal vein).

And for the record, I can imagine the scenario above. I remember walking a mile to the record store the day MoP came out, buying it and going back home to put that bad boy on! Holy shit! I may not spin it much these days, but it was an integral part of influencing metal bands forever.

Rick, you never cease to amaze me, we must exist in some kind of parallel universe thing. I've never been a big thrash fan, but MOP made me take notice, and as far as I'm concerned, this is THE definitive Metallica album, and I'd argure that with anyone. And it's influence is massive. End of story! :Smokedev:

It's the solo album of Augury's guitarist Mathieu Marcotte; it's an instrumental acoustic album that is, I suppose, continuously engaging and focused more around songwriting and the creation of atmosphere than instrumental showmanship.

The album consists of Mat on electric guitar, 12 acoustic guitar and classical guitar; he also makes use of guitar synths and has guest appearances on bass by Dominic Lapointe (Quo Vadis, Atheretic, Augury) and Chaoth (Unexpect), as well as samples that contribute to the spacey/'cosmic' atmosphere the whole album gives off.

With all that said, the samples should speak for themselves: http://www.myspace.com/humanoidofficial
Intruiging. Thanks. I'll check out the links, later from home.

Zod

Stuff I've enjoyed this year:

Manilla Road - Voyager
Boris - Smile
Agalloch - The White
Adverse Sefira - Advent Parallax
Death Angel - Killing Season
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Hollenthon - Opus Magnum
Ihsahn - angL
Isole - Bliss of Solitude
Keep of Kalessin - Kolossus
Moonspell - Night Eternal
Opeth - Watershed

I just got a cd that is definately my cd of the year, it has kicked my ass all over the place, and it is Bleed the Sky - Murder the Dance. It is definately not for everyone on here, but if you like Chimaira, Meshuggah, Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad, and stuff like that, you will love the intensity of this band, the chorus' are catchier than hell, and they are just so damned heavy, and their drummer, Austin, has given the best drum performance of the year for me(at least in my opinion, his little subleties are awesome and he can start and stop on a dime). Christian from Fear Factory produced it as well. This bands first cd paradigm in entropy was awesome as well, but this cd definately is a step up in every way, and they were awesome when I saw them live a couple years back and the coolest guys, so I hope they get on an awesome tour this year. Now I just have to wait and hear the new Cynic, Evergrey, and everything else and see how they hit me.

I just finally checked out Textures, and why have I not been listening to these guys. They are perfect for what I have been in the mood for lately. It does sound like meshuggah meets cynic, plus others. The top cds I am looking forward to the new bloodbath, jeff loomis solo cd, all shall perish, amon amarth, gojira, fission(even though I didn't care for the first one all that much, the sample on myspace sounded up my alley), also the evergrey, trivium, slipknot, sonic syndicate, sylosis, into eternity, edguy, cynic, iced earth, and I am also curious to see how the new All that Remains sounds, because they showed some promise from their first cd.